Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

* 2012 TORONTO MARLIE INFO./ STATS./ PLAYOFF PUSH/ LINKS

OUR FUTURE LEAFS ARE ON A ROL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
371 replies to this topic

#141 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

AND EVERYONE HERE ON THE BOARD... GOOD NEWS..!! :D

Beergirl has given us the go ahead to have MARLIE Game Threads for the AHL Playoffs..!!

Let's all thank Beergirl, Everyone..!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#142 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

#143 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

Marlies play tonight in Abbotsford (10 PM) so some of you guys in BC will have to let us know how the game is going.. (and they play again tomorrow, too). We have AHL audio LINKS to listen, but we need some "color commentators" from you out there..! :D

EDIT: And I made another mistake... LOL!

The MARLIES play TONIGHT (Friday) & TOMORROW! I thought yesterday, was Friday... :wub:

#144 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Jake Gardiner Says He Is Up For Spring Hockey

Jake Gardiner isn’t quite done yet.

The 21-year-old defenceman has settled in with the Toronto Marlies as they finish their regular season with games in Abbotsford B.C. against the Heat, Friday and Sunday.

Leaf rookies Gardiner, Carter Ashton and Matt Frattin will contest their first pro playoff next week.

Mapleleafs.com writer Mike Ulmer caught up with Gardiner to get his view on his season with the Leafs and his upcoming playoff with the Marlies.

Mike Ulmer: You led all rookie defencemen with 30 points and were third in ice time for first-year defencemen. Now that you have had a few days to reflect, how did you think you did?

Jake Gardiner: I felt pretty good about my year but it was very disappointing not to make the playoffs. I’m just glad to have some hockey left. I want to help the Marlies win a championship.

Ulmer: You played 10 games with the Marlies last season. Did you feel like they left the light on for you?

Gardiner: There are some new players but between training camp and being here last season I feel like I pretty well know everyone.

Ulmer: Was there a time when you hit the wall? You played 75 games this season which is a lot when you consider you played 121 games over three years at Wisconsin. Ron Wilson had you in and out of the lineup a bit in early January.

Gardiner: Yes, I got a little tired at the midpoint of the season. Getting that break halfway helped. I felt fine the rest of the way.

Ulmer: Playoffs are intense no matter what the league…

Gardiner: I know. I was watching the Pittsburgh-Philadelphia series. It was crazy intense. It’s a whole different game in the playoffs.

Ulmer: Most players remember their first trade and the first time their coach got fired? You were traded for the first time last year but what was it like for you when the season went downhill and Ron Wilson was fired?

Gardiner: I tried not to let the losing get to me but it felt like there was a lot going on and sometimes it was tough to block out. You just had to decide you weren’t going to let it bother you. I liked playing for Ron but you learn quickly that you have to perform for whoever your coach is.

Ulmer: Erik Karlsson had 26 points, four less than you in his rookie season with the Senators. Your style has often been compared to his and he jumped to 46 points in his second season. Are you encouraged by the difference in his game after a year in the league?

Gardiner: I really like his game. To me he is one of the best defencemen in the league so if I could show the same kind of improvement between my first and second season that would be great.

#145 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

STREAK ENDS IN ABBOTSFORD

The Marlies saw their six game winning streak end in Abbotsford on Friday night as Toronto falls to the Heat by a 3-0 margin. The two teams will close out the 2011/12 regular season on Sunday at 4pm EST.

*NOTE: Marlies are 1st (by 11 points) in their Division; 2nd in the Western Conference (2 pts. behind Oklahoma City); and 3rd in the AHL. Player stats will updated after tomorrow's final regular season game.

#146 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Shuffle The Deck: Is This Your Playoff Opponent?

I’ve seen some pretty good magicians in my day. Many that left me shaking my head when somehow they pull off guessing a card I picked out “randomly” from the center of a deck. Not even David Copperfield could work his magic to decide a playoff opponent for the Toronto Marlies right now, however. Much like your uncle’s card tricks, you could take several guesses as to what team Toronto would face in the first round of the 2012 Calder Cup playoffs and still not get it correct. With the entire league off for the day, it seems like a great time to breakdown some potential first round opponents and what the Marlies may get in round one.

San Antonio Rampage > Currently 5th in Western Conference with 83 pts

The Rampage are a farm affiliate for the Florida Panthers. This means they will not have players return from the NHL level to aid in the post season run because their NHL parent team is in the playoffs. San Antonio are coached by Chuck Weber. They won both games vs the Marlies this season, in 6-1 and 5-4OT finals. In those two games Evgeny Dadonov and Bill Thomas led the way with 2g each vs Toronto. Although the club have used numerous goaltenders this season, 2nd rounder’ Jacob Markstrom has started the last 6 games.

Name to remember: Jon Matsumoto – Acquired from Carolina organization, he has 25 pts in 32 games since trade and 22 goals to this point in year

Players not on clear day list: Hazen, Luciani, Wilson, Devin, Shore, Petrovic, Foster

GTA connections: Michael Caruso of Mississauga/Scott Timmins of Hamilton/Justin Vaive – son of former Leaf Rick Vaive

Opponents in final weekend: vs Texas Fri/ @ Houston Sat/ vs Oklahoma City Sun

Milwaukee Admirals > Currently 6th in Western Conference with 82 pts

The Admirals are a farm affiliate for the Nashville Predators. With the Pred’s in the NHL playoffs, they will also not receive any players from the NHL level to aid in their post season run. The Admirals are coached by Ian Herbers. The season series was split with Milwaukee winning at home 2-0, but Toronto also recording a victory at home 3-2. Mark Van Guilder had a pair of goals in the Admirals win. Leading scorer Chris Mueller is on a tare with a 4 game point streak producing 3 goals and 2 assists over that time. Number one netminder Jeremy Smith was recalled on emergency basis to the Nashville Predators and may not be available for the final set of regular season games.

Name to remember: Taylor Beck – Leading rookie scorer will be counted on heavily to support offensive push in what will be his first taste of AHL playoffs

Players not on clear day list: Ryan, Foss, Leaderer, Pickard

GTA connections: Kevin Henderson of Toronto/Mathieu Aubin – son of former Leaf Normand Aubin

Opponents in final weekend: @Rockford Fri/@Chic Sat/vs Charlotte Sun

Houston Aeros > Currently 7th in Western Conference with 82 pts.

The Aeros are the farm team for the Minnesota Wild. The Wild will not play post season hockey this year, so the Aeros do have some players available for their attempt to seal a playoff position. The Aeros are coached by John Torchetti. The Marlies took both meetings this year 6-2 and 4-0. The two Houston goals were scored by Warren Peters and Jon DiSalvatore in the first meeting of the season. Dennis Endras was in goal for the opening game, followed by Darcy Kuemper in the second. The Aeros are in desperate need of wins to finish the season. Having just a single victory recorded in their last nine games, they are in danger of moving in the wrong direction quickly in the conference.

Name to remember: Matt Hackett – the nephew of former NHL goaltender Jeff Hackett has made a name for himself through his first two pro seasons. He has not faced the Marlies this year, but much like Ben Scrivens, has spent time at the NHL level with Minnesota. Hackett helped lead the Aeros to the Calder Cup final just last year, and although they lost, the rookie put up 14 wins over 24 post season games. If they have a hope of a deep post season run, it may rest largely on his shoulders.

Players not on clear day list: Mignardi, Bulmer, Fritsch, Lorenz, Jobke, Montgomery, Caron, Brodeur

GTA connections: Robert Mignardi of Richmond Hill, Tyler Cuma of Bowmanville, former Leaf Mike Van Ryn is an assistant coach

Opponents in final weekend: @ Oklahoma City Fri/ vs San Antonio Sat/ vs Texas Sun

Peoria Rivermen > Currently 8th in the Western Conference with 82 pts

The Rivermen are the farm team of the NHL’s St. Louis Blues and will not be expecting an players to return to the AHL roster, as the Blues take on the San Jose Sharks in the post season. The Rivermen are coached by Jared Bednar. Toronto got off on the right skate with a 4-3 win in first meeting of the season, but Peoria would shut them out 2-0 in the second clash of the year. Jonathan Cheechoo led the way in the season series with 2 goals and 1 assist through the two games total. Peoria went through a few major roster changes this season and it remains to be seen if those moves will affect them should they make the playoffs. One of the league’s leaders in goal Ben Bishop was moved to the Ottawa Senators franchise and savy veteran Brett Sterling sent to Portland. Additions were Patrick O’Sullivan and Shaun Heshka. Goaltender Jake Allen was expected to carry the load after the trade of Bishop, however, he has been recalled on emergency basis by the Blues to back up Halak with an injury to Elliott. This leave the Rivermen with Alex Stalock to tend twine.

Name to remember: Alex Stalock – started the season with the Worcester Sharks before coming to Peoria. He has played only five games total this season. Even though he has two wins in three games for Peoria, he has only played more than 30 minutes in one of those three games. With limited playing time this year and a new team to finish the year, he will have to adapt quickly because he could be the Rivermen’s starter in the first round.

Players not on clear day list: Polacek, Barriball, Gannon, Somerfield, Binnington

GTA connections: Patrick O’Sullivan of Toronto, Stefan Della Rovere of Richmond Hill, Anthony Peluso of North York, Anthony ***** of Woodbridge, Keith Hagel of Hamilton, Mark Cundari of Woodbridge, Dany Syvret of Milgrove, Jordan Binnington of Richmond Hill and former Leaf Drake Berehowsky is an assistant coach

Opponents in final weekend: vs Charlotte Fri/ @ Chicago Sun

Lake Erie Monsters > Currently 9th in Western Conference with 82 pts

Lake Erie is based out of Cleveland, Ohio and are the farm team of the NHL Colorado Avalanche. Even with the Av’s out of the playoff picture, the Monsters roster will be largely unchanged as many of the players have already dressed in the AHL to end the season. They are coached by David Quinn. In Toronto’s division the Monsters and Marlies tangled ten times. Toronto had the edge in the season series with 6 wins, including the last four straight. In those ten games David van der Gulik, Justin Mercier and Brad Malone have done most of the damage offensively for the Monsters, however, the real story has come in goal. The Marlies have faced four different goaltenders in the season series vs Lake Erie and the Monsters have carried five spread out through the year. Cedric Desjardins and Trevor Cann, each of whom were hurt at different times of the year, will now be required to be the pair down the stretch. The Monsters have won four of their last five games.

Name to remember: Evan Brophey - on a young team that was challenged offensively at times in the season, Brophey is not only the team’s leading scorer but also a player with prior calder cup experience. He will be required to provide consistent offence, but also become a clutch player.

Players not on clear day list: Harrison, Carey, MacQueen, Stollery, Siemens, Goers, Pickard

GTA connections: Dean Strong of Mississauga, Cameron Gaunce of Markham, Trevor Cann of Oakville, former Marlies Danny Richmond and Mike Brennan

Opponents in final weekend: vs Hamilton Fri/ vs Rochester Sat

Rochester Americans > Currently 10th in the Western Conference with 82 pts

The Americans are once again the farm affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres. With Buffalo out of the NHL playoff picture, the Americans stand to gain some impact players for their stretch drive. They are coached by Ron Rolston. Also a division rival to the Marlies, it was perhaps Toronto’s closest competition standings wise all year. The two teams faced one another ten times. The Marlies took the last two straight en route to the overall series edge with seven wins. Derek Whitmore, Brayden McNabb and Marcus Foligno have been factors throughout the season series. Foligno, who excelled with the Sabres to end their regular season, will be back in the Rochester lineup to do the same in the AHL. All of the games between Toronto and Rochester have finished by a one goal margin. The Americans have only two wins over their last nine games.

Name to remember: David Leggio – Goaltender played the entire series vs Toronto and many times held his team in games they would end up losing. With Drew MacIntyre’s last appearance taking place in February, it has been all Leggio, all the time in Rochester. If the Americans have not burned out their starter, he could be a game stealer if the playoffs appear in their future.

Players not on clear day list: Bailey, Flynn, Ryan, Szydlowski, Parker, Catenacci, Grimshaw, Knapp

GTA connections: Phil Varone of Vaughan, Dan Catenacci of Richmond Hill, Nick Crawford of Caledon

Opponents in final weekend: vs Syracuse Fri/@ Lake Erie Sat

Charlotte Checkers > Currently 11th in the Western Conference with 81 pts

Charlotte is the farm club for the Carolina Hurricanes. The Cane’s will miss the NHL playoffs and that likely has an impact on the Checkers lineup. Charlotte are coached by Jeff Daniels. Toronto will not play the Checkers this regular season and have never played them in their history. Charlotte has just one win in their last five games. They have the same number of regulation wins at home and on the road this season with 18.

Name to remember: Mike Murphy – goaltender in his second season has established himself as the number one goaltender at the AHL level, despite Justin Peters having spent time in the NHL. Murphy played 14 playoff games, winning 7 last season. He was pulled in his last start and will likely be looked upon to lead his team to a playoff spot and into the first round.

Players not on clear day list: Shugg, Dumoulin, Sova

GTA connection: Chris Durno of Scarborough, Justin Soryal of Newmarket, Chris Terry of Brampton,

Opponents in final weekend: @ Peoria Fri/ @ Rockford Sat/ @ Milwaukee Sun

#147 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

MARLIE TICKET INFO... FOR THE PLAYOFFS ---> http://www.ticketmas...04&minorcatid=9

#148 RPaj

RPaj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

This isn't good heading into the playoffs, 2 game losing streak. First one is a 3-0 loss and today they lost 5-4 in overtime, hopefully they get it together for the playoffs, because last two games weren't good at all.

#149 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Marlies Tie it Up Twice, But Fall in Overtime to Heat

Tuzzolino overtime hero as Abbotsford Heat edge Toronto Marlies 5-4

TORONTO MARLIES (4) -AT- ABBOTSFORD HEAT (5)

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. _ Nick Tuzzolino spends most of his time by the blue-line, but he had a goal scorer's touch Sunday.

Posted Image

The defenceman scored twice, including once in overtime, to lead the Abbotsford Heat to a 5-4 win over the Toronto Marlies on Sunday in American Hockey League action.

Tuzzolino scored 1:08 into overtime, taking a feed from Greg Nemisz and beating goalie Jussi Rynnas glove side for his third of the season.

``I just jumped up in the play, got a good pass from Nemo, and shot high,'' said Tuzzolino. ``I heard it hit bar, I saw the light and that was it.''

After failing to make the AHL club out of training camp Tuzzolino made the best of his time with the ECHL's Utah Grizzlies, where he scored seven goals in 60 games in a leadership role.

``Nick's played some good minutes for us,'' said Abbotsford head coach Troy Ward. ``The things that we saw today are really a product of how he played in the ECHL. Here's a guy who was a go-to guy ...holding the fort down a lot. (The Grizzlies) were really disappointed that they didn't have him in their first round when they got beat.''

Despite the offensive outburst, the six-foot-five defenceman - who had never previously scored twice in a game, dating back to his major junior career - has no illusions of what is required of him.

Posted Image

``I play a simple, shutdown role with Testy (J.P. Testwuide) as my D partner,'' said Tuzzolino. ``Our job is to give time so (our offensive defencemen) can go out and do their jobs.''

Max Reinhart, playing his first AHL game, also scored twice for Abbotsford (42-26-8), with David Eddy also scoring the first goal of his professional career. Hugh Jessiman assisted on both of Reinhart's goals.

``My two wingers were making passes right on the tape, which in junior you don't always get,'' said Reinhart, who's junior team the Kootenay Ice were eliminated from the Western Hockey League playoffs.

``The guys are a lot stronger (than in junior) but having said that if you find open space, your teammates are going to find you.''

Leland Irving played well enough to win, stopping 18 shots in his first game since March 30. He missed five games while awaiting the birth of his daughter.

``A win elevates anybody's spirits,'' said Ward. ``But at the end of the day what was most important is that he got 60-plus minutes and has a feel for the puck again. We'll look at the tape - there's some plays that he probably wants back.''

Posted Image

Abbotsford had already clinched the Western Conference's fourth spot and will play the Milwaukee Admirals in the first round of the Calder Cup playoffs. The Heat are on a seven-game winning streak and will need that momentum against a team that they have beat just once in four tries this season.

``We've had our struggles in Milwaukee this year,'' said Ward. ``They've got really good stick skills. (But) it didn't matter to us as what team (we drew.) When we're playing our best hockey right now, you might as well play your best.''

Matt Frattin scored twice for the visiting Marlies (44-24-8).Philippe Dupuis and Carter Ashton also scored, whileNazem Kadri had two assists.

Toronto finished second and will take on the Rochester Americans in the first round. The Marlies beat the Americans seven times in 10 games during the season.

Rynnas made 21 saves in the loss.

Abbotsford opened the scoring 9:37 into the first. Hugh Jessiman's shot from the top of the face-off circle was stopped by Rynnas but Reinhart was there to bury the rebound.

Posted Image

Resident tough guy Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond showed a balance of power and skill to set up the Heat's second goal. The seventh-year pro brushed off a Toronto defender and though his first centring pass was blocked, he corralled it and fed Eddy in front of the net with a perfect pass.

Eddy, playing just his fourth AHL game, fired a wrist shot past Rynnas.

The Marlies got on the board with a power-play goal at 17:49. Stuart Percy's point shot was kicked right to Dupuis at the side of the net and he snapped the rebound home for his 15th of the season.

Reinhart recorded his second of the game at 6:48 of the second period. Jessiman forced a turnover in the corner and centred for the 20-year-old rookie in the low slot where Reinhart found the net.

However, the Marlies tied the game with power-play goals 1:43 apart.

Frattin buried a rebound off a Joe Colborne one-timer for his 13th of the season.

Then Jake Gardiner threw the puck toward the net and it squeaked through the pads of a sprawling Irving where Ashton opportunistically shovelled it home for his 21st of the campaign.

Toronto - whose power play is ranked last in the AHL and was just three for their last 34 opportunities - scored three times in seven power-play chances on Sunday.

The Heat had a chance to regain the lead in the third period when Jay Rosehill took a boarding major but it was the Marlies that had the best scoring chance.

Irving needed to make his best saves of the game to keep Ryan Hamilton and then Jerry D'Amigo from giving Toronto the lead.

The Heat made it 4-3 when Adam Estoclet dangled his way across the blue-line and fed a streaking Tuzzolino, who redirected the feed into the net for his second of the year.

However the Marlies tied the game again just 76 seconds later. Frattin buried his second of the game after taking a beautiful backhand feed from Kadri.

That set up overtime, where Tuzzolino snapped in his second of the game to win it.

NOTES: The AHL announced that the Marlies' Ben Scrivens was awarded the Harry (Hap) Holmes Memorial Award, awarded to the goaltender(s) on the team with the fewest goal against. Scrivens, who allowed just two goals in Friday's 3-0 loss to Abbotsford, was 22-15-1 with four shutouts and a 2.04 goals against average in his second pro season. Rynnas and Mark Owuya, though contributing the team's impressive 2.30 GAA, did not play enough games to be named alongside Scrivens.

#150 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

Toronto Marlies 2011-12 FINAL "Regular Season" Individual Stats (*Top 10)

....................................Games.... ..Goals......Assists.....Points...... . +/-

Mike Zigomanis.............68................ 19.............. 42........... 61...........+11
Ryan Hamilton ..............74................ 25...............26......... . 51...........+5
Marcel Mueller .............72.................14.............. 33............ 47......... +18
Greg Scott....................75..................21...............23............44...........+11
Jerry D'Amigo...............76................. 15...............26............41...........+13
Nazem Kadri X..............48..................18.............. 22........... 40...........+2
Joe Colborne (X)...........65................. 16.............. 23........... 39............0
Carter Ashton (X)..........63..................21...............17............38...........+5 (TOTAL: Norfolk Admirals)
...(*Toronto)....................7....................2.................1..............3............-3
Nicholas Deschamps ...71..................12...............25............37...........+6 (*TOTAL: Syracuse./Tor.)
....(*Toronto).................40....................7...............23............30...........+13
Phillippe Dupuis............42...................15...............16...........31...........+12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MARLIE GOALIE STATS

# ...... Goalies........... GP..... Mins ......W..... L..... SOL...... SO..... GA..... GAA...... SVS...... SV%
1.. Mark Owuya (X.....19.....1018:17..... 11.... 5........1...........2....... 33....... 1.94....... 432...... 0.929
30 Ben Scrivens.(X)... 39....2292:40..... 22.....15.......1...........4........78.......2.04........974...... 0.926
40 Jussi Rynnas ........22....1272:23.......11......9........1...........3........54........2.55.......545...... 0.910

*FULL TEAM STATS. ---> http://www.marlies.c...lStatistics.asp

* MARLIES finished the 2011-12 Regular Season 1st in their Division.(10 point lead over 2nd);
2nd in the Western Conference ....and 3rd in the AHL. ..(*96 points in 76 games: 44-24-5-3)

#151 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:35 PM

Marlies Announce Round One Playoff Schedule
Versus Rochester Americans

Marlies open playoffs on Thursday, April 19th at Ricoh Coliseum

A proud member of the American Hockey League, the Toronto Marlies announced today that they will open the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs at Ricoh Coliseum on Thursday, April 19 at 7:00 pm. The Marlies will faceoff against the Rochester Americans, AHL affiliate of the Buffalo Sabres, in a best-of-five series. Toronto won seven of 10 games against the Americans during the regular season.

Posted Image

Toronto will host game two of the first round series on Saturday, April 21st at 3:00 p.m. at Ricoh Coliseum. Games three and *four (*if necessary) will be played at Rochester’s Blue Cross Arena on Monday, April 23rd at 7:05 pm, and Wednesday, April 25th at 7:05 pm, respectively. Game five (if necessary) will be back in Toronto at Ricoh Coliseum on Saturday, April 28th at 3:00 pm.

The Marlies clinched the North Division title on Wednesday, April 4th and finished second overall in the AHL’s Western Conference with 96 points (44-24-5-3). This marks the second time in the last five seasons that the Marlies have won the Sam Pollock Trophy as North Division champions.

For playoff ticket information, visit marlies.ca or call the team’s ticket line at 416-597-PUCK.

MARLIE 1st ROUND PLAYOFF SCHEDULE (VS The Rochester Americans)

*NOTE: This is best-of-five series

Thursday April 19th 7PM - In Toronto

Saturday April 21st 3PM - In Toronto

Monday April 23rd 7PM - In Rochester

*Wednesday April 25th 7PM - In Rochester

*Saturday April 28th 3PM - In Toronto

* (Games 4 & 5 - If Necessary)

#152 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Posted Image
2011-12 AHL FINAL CONFERENCE STANDINGS ---> http://theahl.com/st...eason=&confId=0

#153 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ben Scrivens Wins AHL's Holmes Memorial Award

Toronto's Backstop Allows Fewest Goals Against

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. … The American Hockey League announced today that Ben Scrivens of the Toronto Marlies is the recipient of the Harry “Hap” Holmes Memorial Award for the 2011-12 season. Since 1972, the award has been presented to the goaltender(s) with at least 25 games played on the team which allows the fewest goals in the regular season.

Posted Image

Toronto surrendered a league-low 175 goals in 2011-12, finishing its regular season on Sunday afternoon with a record of 44-24-5-3 and 96 points – the second-best finish in franchise history. Under the guidance of head coach Dallas Eakins, the North Division champions will be the second seed in the Western Conference in the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs.

In his second professional season, Scrivens posted a 22-15-1 record and four shutouts in 39 appearances for the Marlies, leading the AHL with a 2.04 goals-against average and ranking fifth with a .926 save percentage. Scrivens also made his National Hockey League debut with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 2011-12, going 4-5-2 in 12 outings.

Also contributing to the Marlies’ goaltending success in 2011-12 were Jussi Rynnas, who went 11-9-1 (2.55, .910) with three shutouts in 22 games, and Mark Owuya, who was 11-5-1 (1.94, .929) with two shutouts in 19 games.

The Harry “Hap” Holmes Memorial Award, which was first awarded in 1948 to the goaltender with the best goals-against average in the AHL, is named for Hockey Hall of Famer Harry “Hap” Holmes, a prominent figure in early professional hockey and an outstanding goaltender of his time. Previous winners or co-winners of the award include Gil Mayer (1951, ’53, ’54, ’55, ’56), Johnny Bower (1957, ’58), Marcel Paille (1961, ’62), Gerry Cheevers (1965), Gilles Villemure (1969, ’70), Pete Peeters (1979), Pelle Lindbergh (1981), Olaf Kolzig (1994), Mike Dunham (1995), Manny Legace (1996), Jean-Sebastien Giguere (1998), Martin Biron (1999), Joey MacDonald (2003), Jason LaBarbera (2005, 2007), Dany Sabourin (2006), Cory Schneider (2009), Cedrick Desjardins (2010), Curtis Sanford (2010) and Brad Thiessen (2011).

In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. More than 85 percent of all players competing in the NHL are AHL graduates, and through the years the American Hockey League has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. Sixteen clubs will continue to vie for the league’s coveted championship trophy when the 2012 Calder Cup Playoffs get under way on Thursday.

#154 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

#155 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

#156 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

#157 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:12 PM

REGARDING MARLIE PLAYOFFS & TV/AUDIO SCHEDULE

Since the Regular Season just ended yesterday..., they have not got official notice yet to what Channels will be carrying the playoff games. I did contact the Marlies Head Office this morning.. and they couldn't give confirmation yet (but, expect to have the first three games confirmed later on today).

So far.. This is what I am hearing (for the 1st Round):

Home games "should" be broadcasted live on Rogers Cable 10 (Toronto).

Away games "should" be carried by LeafsTV..

ALL games will be aired on Radio 640 AM.

AHL.com "should" be carrying their usual audio feeds.. (but, this also not confirmed, yet).

And yes... I will be attempting to do game threads...., but getting line-up confirmations might be pretty difficult.

#158 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:43 PM

Games one, two & five are now confirmed..! They will be aired on ROGERS CABLE 10 (TORONTO AREA)..

You other guys outside the area need to get into AHL.com and sign up for their video feeds... ;)

#159 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

#160 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,390 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

Mueller Looks To Break Through, As Marlies Ride Into Playoffs

Posted Image

It began, as these stories always do, in a small Bavarian town known by a name I will not attempt to spell. A decade ago, Korbinian Holzer faced Marcel Mueller for the first time.

As 14-year-olds the two future Marlies met and pretty well instantly became estranged at a tournament in their native Germany. “He was the biggest defenceman and I was among the biggest forwards so we saw a lot of each other,” Mueller said Tuesday.

For lack of a snappier name, the two are known locally as The Germans which doesn’t exactly leap off the tongue.

What else do you call two players who room together, share the same home country and little else?

The looming question is will they share a dressing room next year. The Marlies begin a best-of-five playoff with the Rochester Americans with a home date on Thursday. If Mueller and Holzer are roommates again next year, it will mean Marcel Mueller had a wiz-bang of a playoff

Discount Matt Frattin and Jake Gardiner, two players who showed themselves NHL-ready last season and will finish off their rookie campaigns with a post-season stint in the American league.

No other Marlie is as ready to step into the league as the 24-year-old-Holzer. Marlies coach Dallas Eakins pairs the six-foot-three, 205-pounder with six-foot-four rearguard Mark Fraser. The two are the go-to tandem for the league’s best defensive team.

In 67 games Holzer scored just once and finished with 20 points so his offensive upside is, to be charitable, a little lacking but a +7 is excellent for a player who always draws the opposition’s best.

While it took him a year to grasp all the angles and necessities of smaller ice, the more compact surface works well for Holzer. He tends to hang on opposing forwards like a cheap and sometimes thorny suit.

“It was never a stretch for me to play a physical game,” he said. “The problem in Germany is that the officials sort of take that away. If a guy is hurt, no matter how clean the hit is, the player gets a penalty.”

Holzer was chosen by the Leafs in the fourth round of the 2006 entry draft.

Mueller is from Berlin. At six-foot-three 232 pounds, he has the ideal build for a power forward.

Mueller is thick and farmer strong and, for his size, a remarkably good skater. He has a powerful and accurate shot.

“The first bunch of times you see him you think he’s in the wrong league,” said Marlies coach Dallas Eakins. “You think this guy should be in the NHL.”

He still could be. A free agent signed by Leafs GM Brian Burke in 2010, Mueller has yet to learn what former Leafs GM Pat Quinn used to call the essential tool in the hockey player’s arsenal: the ability to consistently bring premium effort and attention on most every night.

Mueller scored 14 goals this season and last and while his 47 points in 72 games is more than respectable, there is much more to be tapped.

Mueller can and has played physically but he agrees it is an element he has to improve on. His attention wanders.

“Over seventy six games, it’s going sometimes going to be hard to find motivation,” he admits.

Mueller’s opportunity is now. Like Holzer he will enter the off-season as a restricted free agent. The Leafs are crying for a third line winger who can grind. If you gave, say… Mike Brown Mueller’s build and skating stride you would have a nightly weapon.

The Leafs still may. That final skill, consistency, can arrive suddenly and with management free to watch and note his development, Marcel Mueller might yet grind his way into the hearts and minds of his employer.

“A lack of motivation isn’t something that will happen in the playoffs,” Mueller says.

“Every year,” Eakins says, there are players who surprise you in the post-season.”

Holzer will only surprise if he falters. Should Marcel Mueller find his game in the rarified atmosphere of the playoffs, there may be a German re-unification after all.

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map