Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Jay McClement to Toronto

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
145 replies to this topic

#101 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Its very rare for a rookie to out play a veteran. They make rookie mistakes and coachs don't know what they'll get out of them night to night. Burns comments shows the coachs way of looking at things, their job is to win games, and generally speaking, if they have veterans options they are going to use them.

Just look at the comments from Burke I posted, he knows the team has holes, and he is looking at trades not his prospects to fill those holes.

Thats what I don't get. Many posters think BB has built this great pool of prospects in the marlies and the proof is that they went to the calder final. If that is the case why is he going outside to pick up yet one more 3rd liner? If we have such a great prospect pool is no one available to fill that roll??????

#102 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thats what I don't get. Many posters think BB has built this great pool of prospects in the marlies and the proof is that they went to the calder final. If that is the case why is he going outside to pick up yet one more 3rd liner? If we have such a great prospect pool is no one available to fill that roll??????

Well the Calder final isn't proof of anything other then he built a good AHL team. There just isnt a link.

I don't think Burke looking outside is a commentary on the prospects and how good or bad they are. Its more a commentary on Bukres priorities and his impatience. He doesn't want to take the time to develop Kadri or Colborne etc... because it might take 1-2-3 seasons, if they aren't flat out busts.
You never see Coke taking a shot at Pepsi

#103 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,596 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Well the Calder final isn't proof of anything other then he built a good AHL team. There just isnt a link.

I don't think Burke looking outside is a commentary on the prospects and how good or bad they are. Its more a commentary on Bukres priorities and his impatience. He doesn't want to take the time to develop Kadri or Colborne etc... because it might take 1-2-3 seasons, if they aren't flat out busts.

I guess I am having trouble seeing what the plan is. lol

#104 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

I guess I am having trouble seeing what the plan is. lol

Its not hard. Find players to build around through free agency and through trades. Like he did in Vancouver (traded for Bertuzzi, and Jova, plus they traded Naslund befor he got there) and with the Ducks (signed Niedermayer and Selanne, traded for Pronger). The problem is Burke hasn't found a cheap player that turned into a great one (Bertuzzi), there hasn't been a lock-out to create some franchise UFA's, and no ones wife has complained about the city they are in lately.

IN the past, espically with the Ducks, Burke did a great job capitalized on some fantastic oppertunities (Niedermayer becoming a UFa because of the lock-out and wanting to play his brother, Selanne finding his game again, Prongers wife not liking Edmonton, Murray stocking the system before Burke got there, finding Hiller in Europe). The problem here is those kind of oppertunties haven't presented themselves and rather then rebuild throught he draft while waiting for them Burke tried to make them.

Personally, Ithink Burke started to believe his own press and that he magically made Niedermayer and Pronger happen and forget the situations that lead to them becoming available, and that he had Getzlaf and Perry waiting for him, he wont he 2nd pick in the lottery etc...
You never see Coke taking a shot at Pepsi

#105 stealthelementz

stealthelementz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

What does that say to the players in the marlies that were hoping for a shot at the big club if BB continues to fiil up with 3rd and 4th liners. I just don't get some of these moves

thats exactly how I feel.. I think it might tell us that maybe some of these "Toronto hyped" players maybe arent as close/good as we've been lead to believe.

#106 stealthelementz

stealthelementz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

There's something that needs to be understood. You don't leave holes in your lineup because you have prospects who could potentially fill them. There is no reason why Kadri, or Colbourne or whoever couldn't fill these spots; we have training camp for a reason. Each spot on the roster will be rewarded to the player who best deserves it. If Colbourne outplays McClement, then Colbourne will have that spot. All Burke is doing is triggering some intrasquad competition. Players should never be given roles, there is rarely a benefit. Winning a role, however, envokes confidence and rewards the team with the highest level of play that player can provide.

I agree and disagree. It's important for players to earn their spots but I don't think its that easy. Burke prides himself on his player management skills and loyalty. I highly doubt he'd be signing Free Agents and burying them in the minors. With the way he operated I think it's safe to say he's not goin to just sign someone telling them they're a 3rd-4th liner then start them in the minors. I think he has created a log-jam right now. If we were signing big name free agents or drafting ready-now prospects I could see this being a good move. We're not ready to win right now. Our youth need NHL experience. While they might not have had "career" years I think the Marlies making it to the Calder is as close to "Earning it" as you will see.

Being from Hamilton I saw the Bulldogs win the Championship years back. The next year several players were given a good opportunity to play for the Habs. People like Carey Price and P.K Subban were given shots to really succeed.. Sink or Swim and it's benefitted their careers in my opinion.

I agree kids need time in the minors but sometimes I feel Burke might keep them there a little too long.

Look at the Jays and Raptors approach. The jays rolled with youth. They're taking their bumps but they're learning. They started the year with 3 pitchers under 25 (which is young for baseball) and they were all off to decent years (before freak injuries).

The Raptors went into last years NBA season with youth and inexperience and were expected to win no more then 15 games. They ended up exceeding everybodys expectations. Did we make the playoffs? nope but we gained professional experience,

#107 Javris

Javris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hi. I'm an Avs fan and I wrote this a few days ago: http://fans.avalanch...should-be-kept/

I am utterly devastated at this, both because he was my favourite player and because he kept the penalty kill and all the little things in order in a way I've not seen anyone do in ten years of watching hockey. Knowing that he left for less money than he was being offered in Denver (supposedly, and by at least 1 million per season) absolutely kills me, but I suppose it means he wants to play for the Leafs a lot, which you should be thankful for.

#108 RPaj

RPaj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

Hi. I'm an Avs fan and I wrote this a few days ago: http://fans.avalanch...should-be-kept/

I am utterly devastated at this, both because he was my favourite player and because he kept the penalty kill and all the little things in order in a way I've not seen anyone do in ten years of watching hockey. Knowing that he left for less money than he was being offered in Denver (supposedly, and by at least 1 million per season) absolutely kills me, but I suppose it means he wants to play for the Leafs a lot, which you should be thankful for.

Thanks for the post, nice to hear about McClement from an Avs fan.

#109 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,115 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

Ya, I half follow the Avs too and was pretty stoked to get him for the bottom 6. Guess we got him for a home-town deal so he could be back with family or something, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

#110 2High2Tell

2High2Tell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

Great info from an opposing side. I always love to see players pick on where they want to be and leave money out of it. I for one can not wait to see this kid play.. hmm I should not say kid.. If he can help our PK and truly is a shut down top line player then I say GREAT, Because thats what we need. We also need a big body that goes hard on the net, and from what I have seen from video's.. this may be our guy..

Thanx for the info and stopping by... Jarvis... :)
The ModSquad is here to ruin your day.. Time to prey.

#111 Poyetas

Poyetas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

So let me get this straight...a veteran willing to take a hometown discount. Not only that, but our coach wanted him. Wait, is it possible that old Grapes was actually right? Of course, none of us thought that having Ontario players could be an advantage...LOL!!!

#112 Zizzzzy

Zizzzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

So let me get this straight...a veteran willing to take a hometown discount. Not only that, but our coach wanted him. Wait, is it possible that old Grapes was actually right? Of course, none of us thought that having Ontario players could be an advantage...LOL!!!

Lol.. "I told you so I told you so"

Better hope he doesn't flop now or this post will be somebodies signature haha

So, you're saying you think this is a good signing by Burke??

#113 Poyetas

Poyetas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Lol.. "I told you so I told you so"

Better hope he doesn't flop now or this post will be somebodies signature haha

So, you're saying you think this is a good signing by Burke??

LOL! Yes, I have to give credit where credit is due.... its a good signing by Burke. I've said numerous times that Burke makes most decisions based on committee, and this deal has Carlyle's fingerprints all over it. Now that we have a coach who doesn't think the NCAA is the end all and be all of hockey, i'm optimistic. Its the same reason we draft so many Ontario players. Dave Morrison is the head scout. Carlyle and Morrison, two Ontario guys who know what the deal is. Good to finally see Burke is coming to his senses!

I guess this paves the way to get rid of Lombardi and maybe even Steckel (hopefully). Good Times!!!

#114 Zizzzzy

Zizzzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi. I'm an Avs fan and I wrote this a few days ago: http://fans.avalanch...should-be-kept/ I am utterly devastated at this, both because he was my favourite player and because he kept the penalty kill and all the little things in order in a way I've not seen anyone do in ten years of watching hockey. Knowing that he left for less money than he was being offered in Denver (supposedly, and by at least 1 million per season) absolutely kills me, but I suppose it means he wants to play for the Leafs a lot, which you should be thankful for.

Took a read over that thread. Great to hear that the general consensus was that a good player was leaving. Excited to see how he does for us, and hopefully does not regret his choice to sign with us once our "passionate fan base" nit picks his game apart.

#115 Fready

Fready

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

As long as the fan base understands that he isn't here to score 30 goals.

#116 Fready

Fready

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

Im sorry for going off topic, but is that semen in your display pic?

#117 Zizzzzy

Zizzzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Rofl, glad to see I am not the only one who thought that

#118 2High2Tell

2High2Tell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

As long as the fan base understands that he isn't here to score 30 goals.

I for one do. I would say 20 is a good number for him. I also think he has the potential to hit 30. but that would just be an added plus in my books. add 30 assists 2-4 SHG's and a ton of ice time. I see value written all over it.
The ModSquad is here to ruin your day.. Time to prey.

#119 Poyetas

Poyetas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:14 AM

Yes, since my other avatar has been banned by the powers that be...I thought that a sperm cell would be adequate to illustrate my frustration...LOL!!!

#120 Fready

Fready

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:30 AM

Yes, since my other avatar has been banned by the powers that be...I thought that a sperm cell would be adequate to illustrate my frustration...LOL!!!

HAHAHAH

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map