SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

**** 2012-13 TML SEASON THREAD **** News/Videos/Updates/ FINAL PLAYOFF STATS.

THANKS FOR A BETTER SEASON!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
705 replies to this topic

#1 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Yes... we could use a couple of trades to make things better, but if we remain as we are, there are still some positive notes about this 2012-13 Season that is soon to arrive. Let me try to update & go through the roster:

Keith Aucoin

Although most likely to be seated into the Marlies, I saw some great hockey from this guy with Hershey, last season. He's a seasoned Center who thrives more on setting up plays, than scoring points, but he could easily be justifiably brought up when needed to help out the Leafs. That being said.., he still racked up 106 points in 72 games, just two seasons ago, with 35 goals and 71 assists... If not used at all with the Leafs, he will be another goodf addition to mentoring the Marlies. He is listed on the Leafs roster at the moment, though. I still think he will be the Marlies top-center, once Kadri is seated in the Leafs.. He has Theron's small man drive.

Tyler Bozak

As we bring in more possible centers to the team's equation, I expect to see Bozie up his game a few more notches.. Competition within the team often evokes a lot of good possibilities. His point totals in the last three seasons have gone from 27, to 31, to last season's 47. A continued move forward could see him in the 50's.. This also makes him more lucrative trade bait.

Mike Brown

I don't think I need to say much about Brown. He does his job, day in & day out... Give him one of the new linemates we just aquired & he will most likely get better scroing chances, too...

Tim Connolly

With 6-8 of our team members suffering concussions last season, it is really unpredictable and unfair to judge them on that one season. I wasn't thrilled with Conn's performance last season, but I did see him play a good defensive role when Carlyle was brought in. He could easily go back to his Bufffalo point numbers, with a healthy year.

Mikhail Grabovski

Grabo is one of our hardest working forwards, in my opinion. Although Kule wasn't himself last season and his play dampoened the "Mac & The USSR" line, Grabo only had seven points less than the previous season. I am a strong believer that this line could come back and rally as #1 line again, if they are kept together...

Korbinian Holzer

Probably will be our next best stay-at-home defensive D-man, besides Gunn. He has a heck of a point shot, but his game centers on being a D-man, first. Definitely an unproven NHL player, but his "truculence" will be a welcome addition to the Leafs, as he is also a very tough checker and is afraid of no one. (Not listed in our roster yet, though)

Nazem Kadri

Training the summer with Gary Roberts is probably one of the best things that Kadri could have chosen to do. Roberts will work on his conditioning, as well as his defensive game.. This will also to wonders for a positive mindset... and I expect another boost in his maturity level. IF.. JVR is not capable of handling 1st Line Center role, I could see Bozak filling in until Kadri has worked his way up to that line. Carlyle will know when the time is right. Wilson did not know how to work with this kid, like Eakins did. RC is a different animal.

Phil Kessel

I can't believe some people are focussing "just" on his defensive liabilities, when he has such a strong offensive side. Sure... I completelyt agree he needs to get a lot better in that area of his game, but at 24.., it's not like he can't learn anything new with a defensive-minded cpoach like RC working with him, is it..? Add that permanent Center.. and his point totals will probably escalate even further than they are..

Nikolai Kulemin

Probably one of the most debatable players right now, in Leaf threads. I totally think that last season was a complete "odd one". He's only played 4 seasons here with the Leafs.. and a lot opf peoiple act like he has never produced and/or is too old to regain his game this year? 26 is not that old, Guys. Whether he publicly came out and admitted why last season was a downfall, or not.. (and if you notice.. Kule is not exactly a guy who shares the Press spotlight very often) I TRULY believe he will pop back to 2010-11 form.. IF.. he is kept on 2nd line, with Mac & Grabo. He increased his point totals the first three seasons... I think he will come back & do the same this season. Defintely, our present best two-way player on the team... Too much offensive talent, to be stuck in 3rd or 4th line...

Matthew Lombardi

Again... one year, during a battle with a concussion is not a fair analysis of a player who wasn't even expected to play last season. I wasn't thrilled with him either, but I really doubt we saw his potential yet. If he bounced back 100% this season, we could even see him rallying for 1st line Center.

Joffrey Lupul

What needs to be said? He proved his worth, already... One more permanent addition to that line & we have a force to be reckoned with.
Lupes is only going to get even better, with a solid Center beside him (which will also Benefit Phil).

Clarke MacArthur

Almost everyone raved about the "Mac & The USSR" line in the 2010-11 season, right..? Kule's off season affected that whole line... I will bet that we see all of their point totals increase this season, especially if this line is kept intact. Mac knows Grabo & Kule's plays pretty good.. and I think he would only end up getting more injuries, if he was played in more odf a defensive role.. It would also hurt his offensive game (which in turn, would hurt Grabo & Kule's)...

Jay McClement

I don't think this guy was utilized properly, with the Av's... His game in the Blues was much different and more impressive... He's kind of a dark horse, who could turn around and shine again, under Carlyle. Although not many people have mentioned this, he is another alternate Center for our lines.. and with the amount of thrown out face-off players increasing every season, it's always good to have more players who can take a face-off (whether they are playing Center, or not). He's a big body, plays a good defensive game.. and can be a valued playmaker, at times..

Jay Rosehill

Although I like Rosie's truculence and ambition, I doubt he will play up with the Leafs most of the season.. I think our enforcers will have more Broen-like characteristics from now on, being able to score as well as defend...

David Steckel

A great face-off guy, who looks like he will work even better with RC, than he did under Wilson... He's a good guy to have around & be able to utilize on different lines, although I think he should be predominantly played on 4th line.

James Van Riemsdyk

People are skeptical of him returning to hockey in the Center role again, but I really don't see why there is all the concern? He was a Center.. His face-off percenatge isn't bad ata ll.. and more so.. he adds more size and grit to the 1st line.. This will most likely allow Phil to have more holes to skate through... If it doesn't work out in that position, he still adds more grit and size to the team in a Winger role.

Cody Franson

Not all contracts are finalized before the start of the season, so I would wait to judge his trade factor just yet. He played a good game last season (when utilized) and I think the personality conflict between him & Wilson really prevented us from seeing all he has to offer. A great point shot.. and possibly a good pairing for Gardiner in the future, when both of them have matured to a higher level in their defensive game.

Jake Gardiner

One year in the NHL (while skiiping any AHL seasons) and some pople judge this 22 year old like he was a Vet. THIS guy is one of our corner stones, Guys... Whether you believe me yet, or not... Sure... Improvemenet is needed in the defesive game, but we haven't even begun to see what he is capable of offensively..! I wtahced him for three seasons in the Badgers.. and he hardly used any of his tricks last season.. Wilson played him too hard & too often.., and was not a good instructor for a defenceman to learn from. I think that Jake was very intimidated last season =in the NHL.. and that we will see a much more confident D-man this Fall. His kating, stick-handling & keen hockey sense will only make him get better & better.... I wouldn't be surprised to see him on 1st line D, by season end.

Carl Gunnarsson

Best Defensive, stay-at-home D-man we had, last season.. He had to cover for a lot of other D-man mistakes and I think he is very underated. If Underhill can improve Dion's skating (and all our other players, for that matter) we should see Gunn rise up. Still the safest pairing for Dion we have, right now..

Mike Komisarek

Okay.. I have to be honest here and inject one negative... Trade him, please.. I have seen more than enough, to be unimpressed with his work ethic... WAY over paid..

John-Michael Liles

JM suffered more than what was reported last season, from concussion issues... Expect to see a rebound season & a better understanding of his position, with RC behind the bench..

Dion Phaneuf

Dion has fallen somehwat off his usual game, from previous seasons.., but I blame that somewhat on Wilson again. I also blame his lack of energy at times & his lack of backward skating ability (something I find starnge, for an NHL D-man to have?). I'm hoping that Underhill has made this one of mher top priorities, because if Dion can skate backwards better, we will see a lot less breakaways against us on his shifts... He was another one who hid some of his injuries at season's end, too.., so I think that is why we saw less point shots from him.

James Reimer

Probably the MOST criticized player on our team, last season.. Reims had a concussion AND an undiagnosed neck injury... He was thrown in & out of games when he returned (as was Gus) ..., so even if he had been 100% again, his confidence level would have been dimished from Wilson's "musical chairs" line-ups... I will go on the record right now and say that he will have a stellar season... and that a lot of the haters out there will become lovers, again...

Scrivens is likely our back-up goalie, if no one new is signed.., but I would much rather see him in one more full year in the AHL, to remedy any small errors he has and to give him more endurance. Goalies play many years longer (usually) than skaters do, so he has a lot of time to come up to the Leafs in the future.. (Not listed on roster, yet)

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#2 blake55-ml5

blake55-ml5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Carlyle will be up Komisarek's *** until he improves, he's just that kind of coach.
Posted Image

#3 25alex56

25alex56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,931 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Mike Komisarek

Okay.. I have to be honest here and inject one negative... Trade him, please.. I have seen more than enough, to be unimpressed with his work ethic... WAY over paid..

SEER WHERE DO YOU GET OFF!!!?!?!

Just kidding. :P I don't think Komi has lacked for effort, though, Seer! In fact, I think Mike is more guilty of trying to do too many things at once. I'm optimistic that he will become a solid bottom-pair defenseman, and compete with Holzer for ice time.

Right now it looks like we're at:

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
Holzer

Do not resist the Posse. You will be assimilated. Join me on Twitter: @Eastman25

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." -Mickey Mantle and Branch Rickey

"What the hell is going on with this forum lately. I don't even care about fancy stats but I still like Grabo and all the heart he showed as a Leaf.

Its rediculous how much bulling is going on from the "anti-stats" people. People are perfectly fine to disagree about reasons for liking players. Liking stats or disagreeing with ONE coaching decision doesn't make a poster stupid or mean he has a low hockey IQ or no common sense. And if you have to insult someone to try to make your point then I don't think you have a very good one." El-zilcho, who clearly must be someone else in disguise.

#4 25alex56

25alex56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,931 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

James Reimer

Probably the MOST criticized player on our team, last season.. Reims had a concussion AND an undiagnosed neck injury... He was thrown in & out of games when he returned (as was Gus) ..., so even if he had been 100% again, his confidence level would have been dimished from Wilson's "musical chairs" line-ups... I will go on the record right now and say that he will have a stellar season... and that a lot of the haters out there will become lovers, again...

I think the bolded probably belongs to Phaneuf, but fair.

What is your opinion on "stellar"? I'm anticipating a 2.60 GAA, with a .910 save percentage with about 50 games played. Is that stellar?

Do not resist the Posse. You will be assimilated. Join me on Twitter: @Eastman25

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life." -Mickey Mantle and Branch Rickey

"What the hell is going on with this forum lately. I don't even care about fancy stats but I still like Grabo and all the heart he showed as a Leaf.

Its rediculous how much bulling is going on from the "anti-stats" people. People are perfectly fine to disagree about reasons for liking players. Liking stats or disagreeing with ONE coaching decision doesn't make a poster stupid or mean he has a low hockey IQ or no common sense. And if you have to insult someone to try to make your point then I don't think you have a very good one." El-zilcho, who clearly must be someone else in disguise.

#5 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

What is your opinion on "stellar"? I'm anticipating a 2.60 GAA, with a .910 save percentage with about 50 games played. Is that stellar?

You're being a lot more generous that I would be. I'm calling between .890 and .910 for Reims. I really don't see the stellar goalie that everyone else sees here. JS Aubin closed the season awesomely once too, where is he now?

The problem isn't really in the players we have (unless you're talking about Goaltending and then it is in the players we have, or rather don't have.). The players we have are fine, it's putting it all together that makes it awful. If we could ice something like..,

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - MacArthur
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin
Komarov (or a tough guy) - Steckel - Brown

I'd be happy enough with that, I'd think we could compete and not embarrass ourselves with that. Don't know if we'd make the playoffs, it'd be a toss up (and I'd probably bet against us if I loved my money) but we'd be half-decent at least.

But the problem is we still have Connolly and Lombardi on the roster, and they make way too much to bury them, and if they bump anybody (likely Frattin and Komarov) they'll end up in the bottom 6, which absolutely kills our balance, and destroys that third line. Not to mention we'll have no room to put in players like Kadri or Colborne unless like 4 guys are all injured at the same time.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#6 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

SEER WHERE DO YOU GET OFF!!!?!?!

Just kidding. :P I don't think Komi has lacked for effort, though, Seer! In fact, I think Mike is more guilty of trying to do too many things at once. I'm optimistic that he will become a solid bottom-pair defenseman, and compete with Holzer for ice time.

Right now it looks like we're at:

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Franson
Liles-Komisarek
Holzer

LOL! How dare I criticize Komi.., ,when he has name like "Domi", right..? :lol:

I wouldn't pair Gardiner and Franson just yet, although as I said above, I think they "could" be a good future pairing.. Both need just a little more experience & I think p[airing them with Vets is a good idea (just don't give the same guy Komi as a partner all the time.., so he can have a chance to score, too... LOL!)

Once Komi "decides to start playing" he is okay.., but every season he begins like he did nothing in off season & has no full-game energy...

#7 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Carlyle will be up Komisarek's *** until he improves, he's just that kind of coach.

Totally agreed..! We might be paying Komi to sit in Barbados for the season again... :P IF.. he doesn't come back into his own..

#8 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

I guess I am a little more optimistic about it... My guess is somewhere between .921-.940 SV%.... with less GAA. but more due to better defensive play in front of him...

#9 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

Seer
Of all the poster's on this board I probably respect your sensibilities more then anyone else and Am trying to hang on to some of your optimism. How ever I am starting to worry as other teams that we will be battling for a spot are making moves to improve while BB is missing in action. I get the fact of the changing new CBA but when it finally happens all the other GM's will be scrambling for the few players left. I do not have enough faith in Burke to beat out some of the GM's that have already proven that they have what it takes to build a winning team. I hope I am wrong and you are right but I am not so sure

#10 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Seer
Of all the poster's on this board I probably respect your sensibilities more then anyone else and Am trying to hang on to some of your optimism. How ever I am starting to worry as other teams that we will be battling for a spot are making moves to improve while BB is missing in action. I get the fact of the changing new CBA but when it finally happens all the other GM's will be scrambling for the few players left. I do not have enough faith in Burke to beat out some of the GM's that have already proven that they have what it takes to build a winning team. I hope I am wrong and you are right but I am not so sure

NO ONE can be "sure", Racer... I just look at the 6-8 concussions, neck injuries, broken bones.., starting the season with unhealed concussions, the every game "musical chairs" lines, the whole diabolical mistake scenario with Wilson... (and his "glare & stare" approach to the team, when mistakes were made) ...all together... I don't know what other bad luck we could have had last season, but I think we were stifled because of all of this..

If you look at the previous years point lists, you'll see that a lot of our players have it in them.. They just had no guidance to bring it out, when everything turned upside down last season.. Combine that with the injuries and I don't think we saw anywhere close to what this group of players are capable of..

And what do you mean "while Burke is missing"? He has more help now to work on trades, so a couple of days fishing might be just what the doctor ordered. He already said that Nonis can handle things.. and with technology the way it is, he could be reeling in a five pound smallmouth, while he is looking at a text, right?

I DO think we will have a better view of this, with Carlyle's game plan and tutoring, though... Even if it's just that Reims comes back and has a stellar year, it will make a huge difference in the outcome, with the team playing Carlyle's defensive game style...

#11 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

The Wilson factor is the one thing I hold on to as hope for next year. I don't think there could have been a worse choice of coach for such a young group of players.

#12 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

The Wilson factor is the one thing I hold on to as hope for next year. I don't think there could have been a worse choice of coach for such a young group of players.

I can only think of two, off the top of my head..: Hitler and Stallan LOL!

Although, the Dalai Lama could be a little too soft.. (no offense, your holiness..)

Wilson wouldn't admit it, but I don't think he had any idea what was working and what was not working, because even when things were working.., he still changed up the lines/goalies..? :huh:

#13 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,242 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Seer

I feel the same way racer.

I get that our current situation and holding off on long term front loaded expensive contracts will put is in a better position once the new CBA hits. But I still doubt Burke's ability to attract the Free Agents that will shake lose once that happens. I see the other GM's who have been just as smart to work off contracts that are short term (we're not the only ones believe me), and who are willing to spend a little bit and use the slightly underhanded tactics they need to, being the ones who snag the marquee players.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#14 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

I can only think of two, off the top of my head..: Hitler and Stallan LOL!

Although, the Dalai Lama could be a little too soft.. (no offense, your holiness..)

Wilson wouldn't admit it, but I don't think he had any idea what was working and what was not working, because even when things were working.., he still changed up the lines/goalies..? :huh:

true

#15 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

true

No.. Wilson... True isn't in here today, is he...? LMAO! Posted Image

#16 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

#17 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,377 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

No.. Wilson... True isn't in here today, is he...? LMAO! Posted Image

:lol:

#18 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Oh.. Dion has been "pumped up" already... LOL!

#19 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,579 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

We should get Al Pacino for a coach!

#20 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

We should get Al Pacino for a coach!

Some of the fans wouldn't want him, because he is "too short", though... :huh: :lol:

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map