Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Ranger making waves!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
94 replies to this topic

#1 11Campbe11

11Campbe11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

Lately I have been watching as much Marlies Hockey as is possible, and also following the stats, after the 5-0 white wash of the HEAT coach raved about Paul Ranger. I have to say he is showing to be a class above anything present in the AHL right now! Even Gardinar!!! and his +/- is a team best.

I don't know what to say but if we ever get back on the Ice he is going to make the Leafs

What a smart player he is.... I never knew he was so good!
Campbell's Kitchen

More than just soups!

#2 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,607 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Lately I have been watching as much Marlies Hockey as is possible, and also following the stats, after the 5-0 white wash of the HEAT coach raved about Paul Ranger. I have to say he is showing to be a class above anything present in the AHL right now! Even Gardiner!!! and his +/- is a team best.

I don't know what to say but if we ever get back on the Ice he is going to make the Leafs

What a smart player he is.... I never knew he was so good!

:) YEP..!

I have been raving about him, in the last few game threads in here...I still think that "he" will decide to stay in the AHL for a whole season before moving on.., but it has already been suggested from a few announcers, that he will definitely be asked to attend Leafs training camp (whenever that happens)... Bowen & Millen were two that talked about it..

He's tied with Komarov right now actually, at +7... Komarov held the #1 spot alone all season, until yesterday's game.. They are both pretty good players, from what I have seen so far.. "Komar" is a tougher player, though.. and he could get also be asked to training camp right away.. (and I think it is more likely that we see him in the Leafs before Ranger.., but I agree that Ranger has come a long way, really fast...!)..

Nice to see a positive thread added in here, Camp..! Posted Image

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#3 CarlBrewer

CarlBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

The thread title had me concerned. "Making waves" means causing trouble, disturbing others, etc. "Making hay" might be the phrase in this case. It's no real surprise. Ranger wasn't out of hockey due to failing at the NHL level, it was a personal decision. He should be good at the AHL level.

#4 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

I thought this thread was about Rick Nash, :-)

#5 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sorry guys, Ranger looks like a good solid player so far, but I think you might be getting a little head of yourself here... and I definetly disagree that he is showing to be a class above anything present in the AHL right now.

#6 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,607 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Sorry guys, Ranger looks like a good solid player so far, but I think you might be getting a little head of yourself here... and I definitely disagree that he is showing to be a class above anything present in the AHL right now.

I don't think you watched the last three Marlie games in FULL, True..? He's been blocking shots.., stopping pucks with all parts of his body, assisting & scoring... At the same time, he was #1 in Marlies fitness testing & Eakins last interview is telling of what he thinks of Ranger..

You may have your own opinion, but I think you are being a little biased again, because of his age..?

He's a D-man True... He won't be taking a spot for Kadri... LOL! Sure.. he still has a lot more to go to prove himself, but he's one of the best two-players on the Marlies right now.. His work in the last two games, when we were fighting off 5 on 3 extended penalties, was just amazing..!

I don't think he really wants to jump at that fast, though.. and he might just want to stay in the AHL for a full season..?

#7 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

Like I said, he's been a good solid dman and yes I have watched the last 2 games (not 3). The Leafs need dman like Ranger for sure. That's my opinion. However I don't believe he's a class above anything in the AHL right now or if we should be suggesting putting him on a top 2 pairing on the Leafs. That's what I was referring to when I said people are getting carried away.

He will not decide to stay in the AHL if the Leafs want him (if the season begins). He would be absolutely out of his mind not to jump at that opportunity.

I have no flippin idea what you mean about being "biased" again. What exactly are you implying here? I base my opinions on what I see, whether they are a Maple Leaf or not. If anything the only people being biased are ones wearing Leaf goggles.

#8 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:04 AM

I think we are often guilty of expecting way too much from gardiner! He is skilled...certainly he cannot be worse than luke schenn and i have no doubt he will be better than that, he is durable and everything and has some nice moves but he has a lot to learn still and he's young. Let's give him tim to develop properly and not ruin him by rushing him in there. Ranger is really impressing, good to see our guys prospects and acquisitions stepping up.

#9 11Campbe11

11Campbe11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

I thought this thread was about Rick Nash, :-)

This is a Leafs site and I only care about all things leafs!!!
Campbell's Kitchen

More than just soups!

#10 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

Which no doubt makes some fans a little bias...

#11 25alex56

25alex56

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,988 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

By the time Komisarek is a UFA, Ranger will be NHL-ready. After Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnersson, and one of Rielly, Franson, or Liles, Ranger will probably pan out as a very good #5 defenseman.

The war of words is over. Looking forward to better days, with abacus in hand.

#12 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:49 PM

By the time Komisarek is a UFA, Ranger will be NHL-ready. After Phaneuf, Gardiner, Gunnersson, and one of Rielly, Franson, or Liles, Ranger will probably pan out as a very good #5 defenseman.

Agreed

#13 11Campbe11

11Campbe11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:07 PM

Agreed

If that were the case that would still be fine with it... but yet I feel his value is a little bit higher then you envision. I see Ranger fitting in the second pairing across the board PP & PK. Yet that fact of the matter is Komisarek may never play for the Leafs again so problem solved. I also just read a newer post which I find could of easily been continued in this one about the state of our defense.
People or shall I say Kids! relax ...throwing our youth into a defensive NHL positon has work so well for us in the past so stop with placing all the Jr. eligable player on leaf rosters will ya! quick one for ya Luc Schenn.... wait hmmm another top 10 pick!
Campbell's Kitchen

More than just soups!

#14 Terry-Silver

Terry-Silver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:30 PM

That statement is a bit confusing. Why will Ranger need to wait until 2014 when Komisarek's a UFA to be NHL-ready?

Cheers to Sonny and Trueleaffan.

Heroes are remembered. Legends never die!

#15 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Ranger is already NHL ready! He's played several years with the Lightning and was one of their top defensemen :). Plus I don't think he's property of the Maple Leafs. He signed a contract to play with the Marlies. I don't think that extends to the Maple Leafs. He could sign with anyone he wants.

#16 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,607 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Ranger is already NHL ready! He's played several years with the Lightning and was one of their top defensemen :). Plus I don't think he's property of the Maple Leafs. He signed a contract to play with the Marlies. I don't think that extends to the Maple Leafs. He could sign with anyone he wants.

You are correct, Sir..

I think he's ready too, ..but I don't think he feels this way himself, yet..

#17 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

Of course he is ready, but not for the top pairing on the team like some are saying.

Seer, what leads you to say that you think he doesn't feel that he is ready?

#18 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,607 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Of course he is ready, but not for the top pairing on the team like some are saying.

Seer, what leads you to say that you think he doesn't feel that he is ready?

His own interviews.., in the last few weeks (I have them all in the Marlies Video thread).. He isn't happy where he is (not that he isn't pleased how he is doing.., but more so.., that he isn't where he wants to be, yet..).. He also made some points at the beginning of the season, saying that he needed to get back into the swing of things again, before he even thought about the NHL.. That's what I get from his interviews..

But.., maybe he will change his mind, if he keeps progressing..? I see him as more of a Special Teams go-to-guy.. but not a top line D-man.. 2nd d-line pairing would be my choice..

#19 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

His own interviews.., in the last few weeks (I have them all in the Marlies Video thread).. He isn't happy where he is (not that he isn't pleased how he is doing.., but more so.., that he isn't where he wants to be, yet..).. He also made some points at the beginning of the season, saying that he needed to get back into the swing of things again, before he even thought about the NHL.. That's what I get from his interviews..

But.., maybe he will change his mind, if he keeps progressing..? I see him as more of a Special Teams got-to-guy.. but not a top line D-man.. 2nd would be my choice..

Gotcha...

Funny thing, Ranger reminds me a lot of Lashoff and that's a compliment coming from me. I had hoped that Lashoff got a good shot with the Leafs. Same goes for Ranger

#20 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61,607 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

Gotcha...

Funny thing, Ranger reminds me a lot of Lashoff and that's a compliment coming from me. I had hoped that Lashoff got a good shot with the Leafs. Same goes for Ranger

Yeah.. I liked what Lashoff brought to his game & was hoping he'd come back here.. He doesn't seem to be doing very well with Zurich., though.. Something like 4 points in 27 games.. and a -8..?

I laughed when I heard his brother being announced in a Marlies game against the Griffins, because I thought that a bunch of people in here would think it was him..

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map