SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Dear Gary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 Norm

Norm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

An open letter to Gary Bettman (CC Don Fehr)

Dear Gary

While I realize that many fans are accusing the NHL and the NHLPA of not caring about the fans during this lock out, I am not one who thinks thats a primary concern. After all, here in Toronto, we have watched the Leafs flounder year after year and still most of us would kill to go to games no matter what. Here in Toronto, you can still see many still wearing their Maple Leaf Blue.

No, sir. I don't think you need to worry much about us. Corporate sponsorship and Corporate seating at the ACC will be as strong as ever here in the Big Smoke. When you guys eventually figure out how to divide the pie up, I'm pretty sure there will be a slice for everyone.

The problem is, Gary, I am convinced that the pie will be much more the size of a tart when you and your compatriates finish ruining this league. And I think you know that. You see, while in Toronto we will buy all that is NHL and Toronto will welcome you back... the southern US cities, Gary, are a hard sell at the best of times. Are you going to be able to sell the NHL to them again after the THIRD lockout under your leadership? You couldn't sell it to them while the NHL was playing. You got a HUGE break in the playoffs when the Rangers (a strong Northern US team) did well in the playoffs and the other large market team, the LA Kings with its ability to attract publicity through attendance of Hollywood stars won the Stanley Cup. But you squandered the good that did for you with the first cancellation of games in September.

During your tenure, your leadership (and I use that phrase loosely), has based itself on ignoring the strong base of hockey markets to the North while trying to shove hockey down the throats of non traditional markets in the US. And while everyone understands the big $$$$ in the US, none of us up here could or can understand your insistance to treat northern hockey markets (particularly in Canada) like they don't exist. And I can tell you from personal experience, hockey does not take up a lot of time on the sports pages in many cities in the US.

Corporate sponsors here in the rich hockey mad city of Toronto are, as you know, starting to make noise about their impatience with this League. Kraft has already stuck its mid finger up at you and Coors is starting to make some racket here too. If they go, and others follow, you may have nothing here to come back to. Companies with Corporate seats at ACC are finding other ways to entertain their clients and they are not losing sales over it.

No sir, Gary, I don't think the fans are the ones that are necessarily the ones you need to start considering. If you don't start paying attention to the big money, it will soon be gone. If its gone, there is nothing left.

I thought I'd write this to let you know whats going on up here in Toronto...paying attention to a hot market city has never been your thing, so I can only assume you don't know how we feel here.

My point is this: if you can't sell hockey here, how can you sell it in Phoenix, Carolina or Florida??? Or maybe you just DON'T CARE.

Think about it.Then (before there is NOTHING left) GET A DEAL DONE!!!!

Norm

#2 jockdent

jockdent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Great letter Norm!

I, personally, wouldn't have been as diplomatic with Mr. Big Ego; but great letter, all the same.

#3 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,730 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Good post, Norm..! Posted Image

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#4 aws1

aws1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

That letter should appear in every paper and sport show in Canada and the USA.

#5 howiegethere

howiegethere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:29 AM

I don't think Gary or Don Fehr are in controll they are just reps for the players and owners who have the agenda set for them on what kind of deal they can accept . Not that I give a damn for either of them but in the end it is the players and owners that need a reality check .

Life's hard and it's even harder when your stupid  --(John Wayne -quote)

#6 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Well written, but I have read a million of these with the same basic sentiment and commentary, and many started with "an open letter to Gary Bettman".

The funny thing is, as it builds, it reminds me of those Molson Canadian commercials from a few years ago. I AM CANADIAN!

I guess the irony would be that the wallpaper on this site says, Molson Canadian - Proud sponsor of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

#7 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Well written, but I have read a million of these with the same basic sentiment and commentary, and many started with "an open letter to Gary Bettman".

The funny thing is, as it builds, it reminds me of those Molson Canadian commercials from a few years ago. I AM CANADIAN!

I guess the irony would be that the wallpaper on this site says, Molson Canadian - Proud sponsor of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Even more ironic since Jeff Molson is the owner of the Habs too! The Leafs need to get a real Canadian corporate beer sponsor, I'd recommend Alexander Keith's, their beer is way better then that urine water garbage that Molson pumps out anyway.

#8 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Even more ironic since Jeff Molson is the owner of the Habs too! The Leafs need to get a real Canadian corporate beer sponsor, I'd recommend Alexander Keith's, their beer is way better then that urine water garbage that Molson pumps out anyway.

Owned by Anheuser-Busch.

If you want a real Canadian beer, your best bet is probably Moosehead. It's one of the only big brewers that actually still is Canadian owned and operated.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#9 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I don't mind Molson or the Habs

Owned by Anheuser-Busch.

If you want a real Canadian beer, your best bet is probably Moosehead. It's one of the only big brewers that actually still is Canadian owned and operated.

Always with the facts! :) What about Sleeman's or Brick?

Talk about derailing a post! I am guilty as charged

#10 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sleeman was bought by Sapporo back in 2006.

Not sure about Brick, are they the ones that make Laker? I think they're still independent.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

#11 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Sleeman was bought by Sapporo back in 2006.

Not sure about Brick, are they the ones that make Laker? I think they're still independent.

#12 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Not like it matters, Sleeman is pants and it's not good to get drunk off of at a game, which is probably why I'd sooner go to the pub and watch the Guelph Storm games then go to the Sleeman Centre :P

Besides, they don't have that kind of money for a corporate sponsorship.

#13 Norm

Norm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 PM

LOL...wow you guys have a short attention span.

Posting the letter was a way to inspire discussion on the damage the lockout is doing to the Corporate Sponsorship and the loss of income to the NHL and what it would do to their buisiness. I don't care if Coors, Sleemans or Alexander Kieths was bought out or who bought them out. Nor (for purposes of the discussion about this post) does it matter whether Molsons is Canadian Beer or not.

What matters, is that currently their Corporate sponsors (whomever they are) are starting to jump ship and that the NHL wont survive without them.

Geez, do I ever miss talk about hockey!!!

#14 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Well, the problem is that many corporate sponsors are Americans, it would be hard just to get them onboard in the first place. Look at the NFL, Nascar and the NBA, all have massive corporate sponsors from pretty much every American company that advertises services or products. The NHL has very little of that by comparison and I think it is because those companies don't view the investment of sponsorship with the NHL as being a very lucrative deal for them. What sponsors the league has now, are going to evaporate and hopefully that speaks volumes to the owners that money is the only language humans and businesses speak these days. Good luck attempting to get them back if the league is going to constantly lockout the players every several years because the owners are a bunch of weasels who would rather try and shaft their employees and everyone who works for the teams in the process, over a couple hundred million dollars.

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map