Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Josh Harding/ Teddy Purcell?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cody73

Cody73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationScarborough, Ontario

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

What do you guys think about these two guys? Both have small contracts and improve our lines. What could we trade to get either one? Which guy would you want?

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

- My favourite goalie, 

Martin Brodeur

#2 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,188 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Harding was just diagnosed (or rather he has just revealed his diagnosis) with Multiple Sclerosis, not saying that's a reason to absolutely not get him, but it is something to consider.

Not to sound callous (this is after all a person we are talking about, not just an asset who could help our team), but his career is almost certainly going to be cut short. Fatigue also might keep him from being a starter and relegate him to backup status earlier than expected. So if we're looking for a starting goaltender of the future, he's probably not going to be it. But who knows really? It's a difficult disease to predict, and Harding might end up coming through better (or worse) than others.

Also since he was just diagnosed he probably won't want to uproot out of Minnesota, he doesn't have an NTC so he ultimately doesn't have a choice, but the staff at the Wild would probably feel a bit of an inclination to let him get a handle on his disease before trading him, and it might not be a prudent choice for us (or any other team) to uproot him right now.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#3 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:41 AM

Harding should be able to play out his contract probably, it's after that where teams will have a bit of a red flag with him.

As for Purcell, it depends on the price Tampa wants for him I guess...he's basically another MacArthur... and Frattin might be challenging for that Job too.

In other words, I'd be on the fence for both. Depends on the price.

#4 Kadrix43

Kadrix43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:47 AM

wrong. Purcell actually has quite a bit of skill along with grit, he is better then Macarthur and Frattin... More useful all around player and puts up more points. Tampa wont trade him they are going to be a good team next year and hes going to be a big part of it.

#5 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Mac would look a lot better playing on a line with Stamkos and St.Louis too. And Mac has more blocked shots and hits (and fights) in less games as far as grit goes, though fair enough, Purcell is a bit better in the giveaways/takeaways and earning a million more. I call it a wash at least

I don't think Tampa would move him either though.

#6 Cody73

Cody73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationScarborough, Ontario

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Harding should be able to play out his contract probably, it's after that where teams will have a bit of a red flag with him.

As for Purcell, it depends on the price Tampa wants for him I guess...he's basically another MacArthur... and Frattin might be challenging for that Job too.

In other words, I'd be on the fence for both. Depends on the price.

Exactly what I was thinking when I posted this.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

- My favourite goalie, 

Martin Brodeur

#7 CarlBrewer

CarlBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:24 AM

MS will affect his performance. For a young athlete, I'm not thinking that he'll be unable to put on the gear and make it out on the ice but he will struggle with performing at his previous level.

#8 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

MS will affect his performance. For a young athlete, I'm not thinking that he'll be unable to put on the gear and make it out on the ice but he will struggle with performing at his previous level.

Eventually, but with the therapies available today, and through careful management of medication he can still be a quality goalie for a few years. It does depend on the case though.

#9 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:42 AM

why risk it?

#10 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,072 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:07 AM

why risk it?

Even before the news broke, they'd probably only have gotten him to be a transition guy for Reimer (or whoever) anyway...he's not going to lose complete muscle control one random day in the next couple of years...

Again, I'd be on the fence pending the price (might have a better crack at Backstrom even), but odds are pretty good for him to be a solid goalie more often than not still (with proper management of the condition)

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map