Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

CBA done...maybe...what's next for the Leafs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 slippery_salmon

slippery_salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:47 PM

So, with a CBA hopefully on the way, Burkie on his 'chihuahua' leash, what moves can we expect from the Leafs in the next couple of months?

#2 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Uh, who says the CBA's done?
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#3 slippery_salmon

slippery_salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

Assuming it does get done and there's a season?

#4 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15,996 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

We don't know until there is an actual CBA to read through...or hint of what they're even talking about.

#5 Leafs_HUMMER

Leafs_HUMMER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • LocationNH, USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hopefully a goalie will be on the way. Thats really what the Leafs need. Can't rely on two inexperienced guys for a season again.

#6 Artie_Gee

Artie_Gee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,470 posts
  • LocationLake Cowichan

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hopefully a goalie will be on the way. Thats really what the Leafs need. Can't rely on two inexperienced guys for a season again.

This is going to be such a short season, if it gets started at all, that maybe JR will play well for all of it.

I think the goalie issue is the most important one for Burkie but Luongo is the best available one and he comes with a lot of baggage.

#7 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,122 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Assuming it does get done and there's a season?

Well then it depends entirely on the terms of the new CBA.

Honestly there's no way to accurately predict or even propose reasonably moves until there's a CBA.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#8 MikeBosse

MikeBosse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationSaskatoon

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

Found a couple of stories, and neither paint a good picture for a season, they have been feeding us this faint hope thing way too long and we as fans are buying it.....proof! We're still on NHL.com right! Anyways here's the story links:There is a video too where they call Jacobs a D**K lol!
Winnipeg Jets representation at a recent NHL Board of Governors meeting piped up to say it was opposed to engaging in a long, bloody lockout sure to stymie their franchise’s momentum and hurt the game of hockey.

It wasn’t Winnipeg owner Mark Chipman, but rather one of the alternate governors representing the Jets.

Bruins Principal Owner and Chairman of the Board of Governors Jeremy Jacobs answered by reprimanding the Winnipeg representative as one of the “new kids on the block” and informed him that he would know when he was allowed to speak in the NHL board room.

http://www.csnne.com...?blockID=807091
The other is:
Here we have a situation where one owner of a powerful, money-making franchise (James Dolan of the Rangers) can’t even get into the negotiating room with the players, while the league’s sole billion-dollar franchise is barred from printing money because of a divide in “make-whole” demands and player contracting rights that, in the big picture, don’t really impact them.

How inefficient and undemocratic of a system is it where the approval of only eight owners is needed to continue the shutdown of the entire business? This woeful hurdle to common sense takes nearly all the power of the NHL out of the hands of its billionaire owners and their well-to-do teams and into the lap of the commissioner and his small group of staunch, stubborn supporters.

It’s time for the Torontos, Montreals and New Yorks of the league to stand up and toss the weight of their word around. It’s embarrassing enough the NHL is going through another work stoppage, but the fact the behemoths can be shut out like this takes the small-time, hokey-ness of this league to a whole new level.

http://www.thehockey...-governors.html

I refuse to hold my breath on this one and will see you all when this mess is over>>>>maybe....maybe I won't be back on this particular site. There are other Leafs sites. Anyways Merry Christmas to all, I may be on parts of today.
John Collins has done his job well. Quite well, in fact. He arrived in Nov. 2006 after 15 years in various positions with the National Football League, and revolutionized the NHL's image and culture — a driving force in the League's $3.3 billion in reported revenue in the last year.
Those revenues will plummet off a cliff in 2012-13, thanks to the lockout, and there's no telling what the recovery might entail. Commissioner Gary Bettman's third work stoppage has brought the League's momentum to a skidding halt, with the good vibes of unprecedented growth replaced by bitterness and embarrassment for the game.
In other words: The lockout has managed to harm, undermine or completely destroy many of John Collins's accomplishments and innovations, while leaving the League's COO trying to keep sponsors from revolting.
Because of that, there's a chance this lockout could cost the NHL arguably its most important behind the scenes player.

Multiple sources have confirmed a report by Dave Pagnotta of The Fourth Period on Monday that Collins "isn't a happy camper" at this point in the lockout, and that could mean his eventual exit from the League.
(Collins declined comment for this story through an NHL spokesperson.)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/john-collins-nhl-coo-could-costly-lockout-casualty-152021692--nhl.html

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map