Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Nazem Kadri's Development

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

By watching Kadri's development down in the AHL, it seems to be quite impressive with the stretch of good games he put together as of late. The coach Dallas Eakins has nothing but good things to say about him and its great to see him continue to get better.

http://video.maplele...vid=DL|TOR|home

Nazem Kadri is going to be a sick player for the Leafs one day especially on the Powerplay, as the kid likes to dazzle in key moments. Definitely has lots of potential, just need to get everything out of him to start utilizing his talents in more key situations. I can see a line with him and Frattin on the same line together in the future.

Great to see the boys develop for once

#2 jockdent

jockdent

Walk softly; and carry a big stick!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:28 AM

Buncky, I love your enthusiasm.

But with all due respect, I think Kadri's development has been stifled by Leaf management, not accelerated.

I blame Wilson, he was the biggest culprit. I blame Burke; because he couldn't see through Wilson's folly.

And I also blame Eakins; because he too could have done a better job of handling Kadri.

Kadri is doing well DESPITE the poor Leaf development!

#3 jigson

jigson

• Moderators
  • 6,819 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:51 AM

Wow, you've added Eakins to your hit list JD?
"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

#4 jockdent

jockdent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

Wow, you've added Eakins to your hit list JD?

I like Eakins; but I didn't like the way he handled the chubby Kadri issue.

The comment he made was unnecessary and unprofessional. He could have, and should have avoided the whole issue in public.

Then, behind closed doors, he could have ripped a strip off Kadri, if that's what he felt was necessary.

#5 calvina7x

calvina7x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

The comment he made was unnecessary and unprofessional. He could have, and should have avoided the whole issue in public.

Then, behind closed doors, he could have ripped a strip off Kadri, if that's what he felt was necessary.

so that single comment ruined Kadri's developement?

#6 jockdent

jockdent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:50 AM

so that single comment ruined Kadri's developement?

Of course not; but it's thoughtless comments like that, that get my antennae up; and make me wonder how many other things happened that we, the fans, never heard about.

#7 dmac0850

dmac0850

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:13 AM

hopefully Kadri will be able to make the second line next year...

and on Eakins: he answered a direct question AND qualified that Kadri was only halfway through his tests,
what else is he gunna do? lie? He is a great coach and shouldn't be blamed for the media's and fans extremist response to his coments

#8 Someonestolemyname

Someonestolemyname

Suspension Pending

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Of course not; but it's thoughtless comments like that, that get my antennae up; and make me wonder how many other things happened that we, the fans, never heard about.

That we never hear about? I thought your whole issue was to do with handling things in the media, so how would we not hear about it?
  • AKA: MaxPower417
  • AKA: Someonestolemybrain (Courtesy of LeafsNationCitizen)

#9 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, ON

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

hopefully Kadri will be able to make the second line next year...

and on Eakins: he answered a direct question AND qualified that Kadri was only halfway through his tests,
what else is he gunna do? lie? He is a great coach and shouldn't be blamed for the media's and fans extremist response to his coments

I didn't mind what Eakins did too much because he also gives Kadri tons of compliments in the media. However I do agree with JD, somethings are better kept behind closed doors. In regards to what else is he gonna do, that's easy "a simple statement of I am not at liberty to provide personal fitness results to the public, these kind of things we like to keep behind closed doors" would of been sufficient.

63 man games lost this season for the Leafs top 3 centers.....

#10 Seer

Seer

TMLEFT - Goalie & Chief Scout

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51,848 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

Gosh... Let's not get back to all that old thread talk again.. This is a bout Naz's "development" in the season games so far, right..?

I think he has made amazing strides, in the last 10 games..

Dallas is a smart coach who cares about his players... There are sometimes hidden reasons for doing things...

Let's leave it at that...

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#11 dmac0850

dmac0850

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I didn't mind what Eakins did too much because he also gives Kadri tons of compliments in the media. However I do agree with JD, somethings are better kept behind closed doors. In regards to what else is he gonna do, that's easy "a simple statement of I am not at liberty to provide personal fitness results to the public, these kind of things we like to keep behind closed doors" would of been sufficient.

the reporter watched the conditioning tests tho and referenced him not doing well in the skating test....
https://www.youtube....h?v=fLQy_DPuLMw

anyways Eakins is a great coach and Kadri will hopefully be a contributing leaf by next year
edit: not sure how to embed

#12 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51,848 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

#13 jockdent

jockdent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

the reporter watched the conditioning tests tho and referenced him not doing well in the skating test....
https://www.youtube....h?v=fLQy_DPuLMw

anyways Eakins is a great coach and Kadri will hopefully be a contributing leaf by next year
edit: not sure how to embed

I've done a lot of coaching; and you never sell one of your players down the river IN PUBLIC, no matter what.

If he couldn't evade the question; using TLF's technique; all you say is, " Sometimes, because of body type, it's much more difficult to reduce body fat in some individuals, as compared to others. IT'S WHAT HE DOES ON THE ICE THAT COUNTS!"

There's ALWAYS a way to evade the question.

Anyway, I don't want to make too much out of this. Eakins made a mistake; it happens. I have my theories as to why he made the mistake; but it's really not important.

I still think he's a good coach.

Compared to what Wilson did to Kadri's confidence; this incident had the importance of a dimple on a pimple on a flea's left ball.

#14 Seer

Seer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51,848 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

I've done a lot of coaching; and you never sell one of your players down the river IN PUBLIC, no matter what.

If he couldn't evade the question; using TLF's technique; all you say is, " Sometimes, because of body type, it's much more difficult to reduce body fat in some individuals, as compared to others. IT'S WHAT HE DOES ON THE ICE THAT COUNTS!"

There's ALWAYS a way to evade the question.

Anyway, I don't want to make too much out of this. Eakins made a mistake; it happens.

I still think he's a good coach.

Compared to what Wilson did to Kadri's confidence; this incident had the importance of a dimple on a pimple on a flea's left ball.

Agreed!

#15 No-Dice

No-Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:45 PM

I would hazard a guess that Poulin (and others in the organization) already went that route, and that calling him out publicly was seen as the next option available after handling it behind closed doors failed to have its intended effect.

#16 jockdent

jockdent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

I would hazard a guess that Poulin (and others in the organization) already went that route, and that calling him out publicly was seen as the next option available after handling it behind closed doors failed to have its intended effect.

I don't buy that Dice.

If you call a player out behind closed doors; and he still doesn't listen; it's time to cut that player loose.

It means he's uncoachable.

And I'm not just talking about 1st year NHL prospects; I mean even at the bantam level; which is what I coached.

#17 No-Dice

No-Dice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

I don't buy that Dice.

If you call a player out behind closed doors; and he still doesn't listen; it's time to cut that player loose.

It means he's uncoachable.

And I'm not just talking about 1st year NHL prospects; I mean even at the bantam level; which is what I coached.

I don't see it as that extreme. Is he uncoachable for not coming into camp in as good a shape as he could have? I don't think that means he is; he just has, or had, some maturity issues.

Matt Frattin's had some pretty intense discipline issues in the past when he played college hockey, but he's grown up since then and is definitely what you'd call a coachable player.

#18 jockdent

jockdent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,928 posts
  • LocationThornhill

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

I don't see it as that extreme. Is he uncoachable for not coming into camp in as good a shape as he could have? I don't think that means he is; he just has, or had, some maturity issues.

Matt Frattin's had some pretty intense discipline issues in the past when he played college hockey, but he's grown up since then and is definitely what you'd call a coachable player.

It absolutely isn't uncoachable for a player to come into camp, out of shape. I think that's a minor detail at best. But you have to produce on the ice. If you aren't producing on the ice, and that unproductivity is directly related to your poor physical condition; then your conditioning becomes an issue; and the behind closed door conferences begin. If you report to camp the next year, out of shape; then you're not listening, and I don't want you on my team.

As for Matt Frattin, he WAS cut loose from his team( in a manner of speaking); and that's what helped MATURE him.

No need to ever go public with anything. One to one discussions; that's always the route to take.

#19 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,245 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, ON

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Enough of this Kadri out of shape thing anyway, Eakins already clarified that this is not what he was implying in a follow up interview. Regarding Kadri not being coachable is ridiculous. I have already posted many quotes interviews on this site of Eakins and his past coach in junior (Hunter) praising this kids willingness to learn and compete level.

A lot of young players have issues with diet and nutrition, something else Eakins claimed in that interview. Its only because Kadri worked out with Roberts for a couple of flippin months that everybody thought he would come to camp with a total different body. Sorry but it takes longer than that, and depending on body type even longer.

Anyway, he's right where I expected him to be, ppg pace. Before the season is over he will be > ppg pace and in the top ten scoring in the league.

63 man games lost this season for the Leafs top 3 centers.....

#20 racer888

racer888

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:02 AM

So does that mean that Phil Kessel the original dough boy is also uncoachable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map