Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Projected Lineups for start of This Season and Next

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
57 replies to this topic

#1 BillyTheLeaf13

BillyTheLeaf13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

I am surprised I haven't seen topics on who everyone thinks and/or expects our lineups to be. There is clearly an abundance of players especially at forward and the possibilities are endless. Unfortunately we are tied down by some veterans who are under contract this season that are simply not in our long-term plans and probably wouldn't be in our plans this season either if management could help it. Anyway, here is my projected roster for this season.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
VanRiemsdyk - Grabovski - MacArthur
Kulemin - Connolly - Frattin
McClement - Steckel - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Liles - Franson
Gardiner - Komisarek

Reimer
Scrivens

As I mentioned, a pretty decent amount of skill however some players are playing out of position and others just don't play the type of game that Carlisle expects. Ultimately changes will be coming next summer anyway, if not sooner.

My 2013-2014 Projected Lineup

Perry - Getzlaf - Kessel
VanRiemsdyk - Grabovski - Lupul
Kulemin - Bozak - Frattin
Hamilton - McClement - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Franson
Reilly - Holzer

Reimer
Scrivens

The major changes here are obviously the UFA signings of Getzlaf and Perry. That would obviously be an epic day in Leaf Land if that were to happen however I do understand the chances of that happening are very slim. Still fun to dream. Beyond that we simply got rid of a lot of dead weight and players are slotted much more seamlessly into what their roles should be. This team would also be one of the biggest in the league and certainly would have dominating offensive ability with the excellent combination of size and skill. Defensively there is lots of mobility there but still with the right amount of sandpaper on each pairing.

I believe this roster clearly has the ability of being a legitimate contender. Obviously since I haven't mentioned goaltending I fully expect to see Reimer continue to improve and become a true #1 goalie.

It's fun to dream, hopefully it comes true!

Cheers

#2 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

There actually has been in the season thread that is pinned on top. but having one JUST for line-ups could work too.

#3 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I have a feeling Carlyle would change up his Lines...he likes to have playmakers on each line..In the team practice today i believe he had Kadri imbetween Kulimen and Macarthur. Conolly with Grabo and JVR...so look to see different lineups this year.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Conolly-Grabo-JVR
Kulimen-Kadri-Macarthur
Komarov-Steckel-Frattin

What do you guys think of these lines

#4 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I have a feeling Carlyle would change up his Lines...he likes to have playmakers on each line..In the team practice today i believe he had Kadri imbetween Kulimen and Macarthur. Conolly with Grabo and JVR...so look to see different lineups this year.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Conolly-Grabo-JVR
Kulimen-Kadri-Macarthur
Komarov-Steckel-Frattin

What do you guys think of these lines

You're not icing McClement? He's a more likely 3rd line C than Kadri.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#5 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

Just stated the lines Carlyle played...i rather have kadri play than Mcclement..he can be a healthy scratch in case of injury

#6 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

the third line is like having an extra scoring line...except they have some grittiness to them as well

#7 slacknasty

slacknasty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Lupul Grabovski Kessel
JVR Kadri MacArthur
Kulemin Connolly Frattin
Komarov Bozak McClement

#8 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Lupul-Bozak/Connolly-Kessel
JVR-Grabs-Mac/Kadri
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin/Mac/Connolly/Lombardi
Brown-Steckel-Komarov
Connolly/Lombardi

The bottom 6 is pretty up in the air though. Any of Connolly or Lombardi could be a centre and Steckel could shift over for McClement and have one of Brown or Komarov on the bench. Lombardi and Connolly are also playing for contracts, and could have a shot at bouncing back, so we'll see how they do.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Franson
Gardiner*-Komi/Holzer

Gunnarsson is there for chemistry, in the perfect world he's a bottom pairing guy until we can find a better stay at home guy for the top pairing. Liles and Franson played well, but Gardiner and Liles could switch eventually. Gardiner starts lower in the line-up for health reason, Komi and Holzer fight for that last spot.

Reimer
Scrivens

In a short year, they really need 1 go to guy. Reimer gets most of the games. Scrivens is good enough for when they a guy to play that 3-4th game in a short while.

#9 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Alright let's give it a shot.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - MacArthur/Kadri
Kulemin - Connolly - Frattin/Lombardi
Brown - McClement - Steckel/Komarov

There are honestly just WAY too many forwards. Gonna have to be merit based here for the RW positions. Who will prove they belong during training camp?

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Liles - Franson
Holzer* - Komisarek
Extras: Kostka, Rielly**

*Gardiner in once he's completely healthy.
**5 games, then send him back to Moosejaw.

Reimer***
Scrivens

***Luongo obviously becomes the starter if we acquire him.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

#10 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:42 AM

Glad you guys arn't the coach LMFAO.
Are you kidding me GUNNARSSON on first line, no wonder where the laughing stalk of the NHL.

It's not like the coach played them together last year and they'll start out like that based on chemistry or anything :P

#11 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

Liles will be with Either Gunnarsson or Franson on the second pairing. My guess is Franson because they were decent together too. Gardiner probably gets the bottom pairing to start because he'll just be getting back from injury...leaves Gunnarsson and Phaneuf most likely...because they did play together all last season. I could ask the media...or his coach...unless Komi or Holzer throw it into gear fast.

This is all strictly to start the year mind you, but my guess is with the shortened camp, Carlyle sticks guys with who they are familiar with mostly...

Taco's line-up could be close too.

Frattin or Kadri gets that spot you have Komarov if Mac isn't there, for example.

#12 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

the third line is like having an extra scoring line...except they have some grittiness to them as well

McClement is a pretty good 3rd line scorer and gives you much needed PK depth and face off help and could also play wing. I bet he'll be in the line-up.

#13 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Glad you guys arn't the coach LMFAO.
Are you kidding me GUNNARSSON on first line, no wonder where the laughing stalk of the NHL.

Lupul-JVANR-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-Komarov
MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Brown-Mcclement-Connolly
Stekel-Orr

Rielly- Phaneuf. Or. Liles- Phaneuf
Gardiner- Franson
Komisarek- Liles. Or Komisarek- Kostka
Kostka Or Gunnarsson. Or. Holzer

Reimer**
Scrivens*

If James can't hold the starting role at the start of the season ship him for Mike Smith,
Luongo's personalty sucks and he's an old man, him and Allaire need to stay as far away as possible.
Ship Scrivens, our 2nd round pick, and a prospect for Bernier.

Yeah cause putting the 18 year old who has 0 experience on the first pairing is a MUCH better idea.

I wish you were the coach so we could ruin Rielly the way we ruined Schenn. Why bother developing our prospects carefully when we can baptize them by fire?

#14 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

They drafted him to be a top puck mover, but in the mean time they have 2 pretty good ones and already a full set of guys who can play that game. Until they move someone (probably Liles), Rielly could still stand to get a full year of Juniors as a leader under his belt to get some experience there. Let him finish strong there, then they'll see about next year.

To answer your question, only the Forwards, Yakupov and Galchenyuk (even though I would bet he gets sent down) make it. It's easier to break in as a forward, and Murray is out for the year, and The Islanders still haven't given De Haan a full spot yet. They take their time with their D.

And I even like Schenn's potentiall still too, but I'm not even touching that one...

#15 Pawchio

Pawchio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

How does RIELLY have no experience being a top 2 defenseman,
Isn't that why we drafted him, hmmm...his whole hockey career he's been
A top Defenseman but noo he's got no experience.

You must be Burke killing kids careers sending them down
When there ready to play now, that's why they got drafted top 5.

Does Yakupov, Murray, galchenyuk and Reinhart not play this season aswell because they have no experience at playing hockey?

Since when was Schenn a fail to build a young prospect?
He was first place 2-seasons in a row for blocked shots and hits,
People expected a more offensive side, isn't that Phaneuf's role not Schenns?

Schenn is easily the best Defensive-Defenseman in the NHL, and he still has Alota time to mature.

"puke." schenn had one good year. then it went downhill from there. he was brought in to do too much too early. wilson and BB aided in his decline. and he is no where close to being the best defensive dman in the nhl.

#16 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

How does RIELLY have no experience being a top 2 defenseman,
Isn't that why we drafted him, hmmm...his whole hockey career he's been
A top Defenseman but noo he's got no experience.

You must be Burke killing kids careers sending them down
When there ready to play now, that's why they got drafted top 5.

Does Yakupov, Murray, galchenyuk and Reinhart not play this season aswell because they have no experience at playing hockey?

Since when was Schenn a fail to build a young prospect?
He was first place 2-seasons in a row for blocked shots and hits,
People expected a more offensive side, isn't that Phaneuf's role not Schenns?

Schenn is easily the best Defensive-Defenseman in the NHL, and he still has Alota time to mature.

Schenn is easily the best defensive defenseman in the NHL?!

I cannot understand how you could seriously think that.

Just because he's first place in blocked shots and hits doesn't make him the best defensive defenseman. How's his plus-minus? How's his TOI? How often does he go after a hit and put himself out of position?

If he's the BEST defensive defenseman in the NHL how come we only got a struggling winger for him?

#17 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

JVR is way is being way overrated by Leaf fans. They keep referring to where he was drafted, and not what he as actually accomplished throughout his career. Remember the year JVR was drafted was one of the weakest drafts in recent history.

#18 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,264 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yeah and how many times over the past 40 years,
Have we traded players that we thought nothing of, that end up
Being the best in the NHL.

We only got JVANR because Burke was too stubborn to pull the trigger earlier,
Same with kessel, why'd we pay so much?

Dont you remember Burke stating a lot of teams where interested in Schenn?

JVANR was drafted 2nd behind Patrick Kane, he has the potential to become something special,
But for sure we shoulda got something more promising.

Considering Pronger is the best Defensive-Defenseman, and Lukes now working with him, expect that deal to slap use in the face.

Who did we trade that ended up the BEST in the NHL? And I mean the BEST, bar-none. And draft picks do not count, because we couldn't know where those draft picks would be when the trade occurred. Name me a player. Darryl Sittler? Lanny McDonald? Larry Murphy? All good players, but by no means the BEST the NHL had. Also those players didn't get better after we traded them, they were always good, it's just that personal vendettas and fan pressure got to the management over common sense.

Also, Pronger is injured, there is no way Luke is working for him. Also how can Pronger, who has been injured for almost an entire season, and not expected to return soon, and maybe expected to be done for good, still be considered the best anything? How is he better than Chara, Seabrook or Suter?

#19 Carmissimo

Carmissimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Seems to me that there's the line-up on opening night and where the Leafs want to be in the long run. With no pre-season and only a week of camp, chemistry has to be a concern. To me that means Carlyle pretty much has to keep Lupul/Bozak/Kessel and MacArthur/Grabovski/Kulemin intact for Saturday against the Habs. The other two lines is quite the puzzle, though. Lots of skill, some grit, no clear path. Carlyle can go whatever direction he wants which is really rather a rare scenario. He could easily roll two additional scoring lines or try to piece together something closer to a typical bottom six. Van Riemsdyk and McClement are, I think, the only clear locks to start against the Habs. How, though, do you decide which of the rest of the group get the call? It's tough to sit out veterans and it's tough to sit out promising kids who should be ready. My tendency would be to try two more scoring lines but stress defensive responsibility. You also have to make sure you have effective penalty killing. Sustaining an attack for a full 60 minutes, though, could be effective through the opening weeks of the season when there will inevitably be a lot of rust.

Some possible other combos could be Van Riemsdyk/Kadri/Connolly and Frattin/McClement/Komorov. Keep Lombardi and Brown as spares, ship out the rest.

In process it's similar to what happens when a team is being assembled for a world championship. Issues with developing chemistry in a short time span and having to put players known for producing offence in other roles. I do think, though, that if a player is among your best 23, even if he is cast in a role that is not ideal, you go with that player. Besides, if even your third and fourth lines have on them players who have the skill to generate offence, if your top two lines are cold in a given game, they can step up and help out. With slumps simply deadly in a short season, you don't want to be carrying a Coulton Orr warming the bench when what you could use is a Frattin out there being as dangerous as he can be.

#20 Carmissimo

Carmissimo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,764 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

JVR is way is being way overrated by Leaf fans. They keep referring to where he was drafted, and not what he as actually accomplished throughout his career. Remember the year JVR was drafted was one of the weakest drafts in recent history.

Overrated though he possibly could be, I think he's not a bad player if he's skating on your so-called third line. If the Bozak and Grabovski lines start the season intact, Van Riemsdyk does start off as a third-line winger. I think he should be able to handle that assignment.

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map