Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

**** TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS @ MONTREAL CANADIENS - Game Thread **** (Saturday January 19th 2013 - 7PM) **** LINE-UP EDITED ****

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
384 replies to this topic

#1 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

................4 More Days.., 3 More Days.., 2 More Days..,1 More Day..,
............................................. Posted Image...THE DAY..!! Posted Image

Posted Image

...........................Posted Image

........................**** FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON...!! ****

...........................SATURDAY, JANUARY 19TH 2013 - 7PM

......................................MAPLE LEAFS (0-0-0) @ CANADIENS (0-0-0)
......................................TV: CBC, RDS (HD), NHLN-US (HD)
......................................TORONTO & MONTREAL ARE TIED FOR 1ST PLACE... :P

Well, Guys... We are finally here...! Posted Image

It has been a long time since I have had the privilege of doing a Leaf GT, so let's get this party started..!!

Maple Leafs Open Season Against Rivals Canadiens

Posted Image

PREVIEW & GAME NOTES

Season series: This is the first of four meetings between the Original Six rivals this season. Each team won three of the six games between the two last season, with the Canadiens winning the last meeting at home, 4-1, in the final game of 2011-12.

Big story: There’s really no need to look for storylines when these two teams meet, but there are several nonetheless as both the Maple Leafs and Canadiens hope to rebound from disappointing seasons in 2012-13 with new general managers beginning their first seasons.

Team Scope

Maple Leafs: The Leafs produced the biggest story of the elongated offseason when they fired general manager Brian Burke to replace him with his right-hand man, Dave Nonis. The new man in charge wasted little time putting his stamp on the team. He began by trading center Matt Lombardi to the Phoenix Coyotes for a conditional draft pick, retaining some of Lombardi’s salary in order to make the deal happen. He then placed expensive and underachieving center Tim Connolly on waivers Thursday to send him down to the American Hockey League.

Coach Randy Carlyle will use the space created by the departure of the two veteran forwards to give some younger players a chance to carve out a niche on the team, starting with Nazem Kadri, the No. 7 pick in the 2009 NHL Draft. Kadri is expected to center a line with James van Riemsdyk -- Burke’s last big acquisition -- and another youngster, Leo Komarov.

After months of speculation regarding a potential acquisition of Roberto Luongo, the Maple Leafs will be starting the season relying on the incumbent goaltending tandem of James Reimer and Ben Scrivens.

Canadiens: Coach Michel Therrien will begin his second stint with the club by coaching his 500th NHL game, and he is eager to see how his aggressive, high-pressure and up-tempo system will be deployed by his players.

All eyes will be on Canadiens rookie Alex Galchenyuk, who will make his NHL debut skating with Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta on the second line and should get some power-play time as well. The No. 3 pick in the 2012 NHL Draft showed exceptional skill and poise at training camp, but this will be his first real game situation at the NHL level.

New Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin is still negotiating a contract with restricted free-agent defenseman P.K. Subban, and it looks all but assured that the dynamic, young puck-mover will not play against the Maple Leafs.

Injury report: The Maple Leafs will be without young defenseman Jake Gardiner, a severe blow as he is arguably the team’s top defenseman. …

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price sat out practice Friday after he appeared to tweak his groin or hip during an intrasquad scrimmage Thursday, but Therrien said he will play. The coach could not give the same guarantee when it came to Plekanec, who has been nursing a rib problem throughout training camp, but Therrien said he "would be very surprised" if Plekanec missed the game.

**** SEER'S "WHO I'D LIKE TO SEE START" LEAF LINE-UP ****

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Steckel-McClement-Brown

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Kostka
Fraser-Franson

Reimer
Scrivens

*Last Season's 1st Game:

*AS ALWAYS, MUCH MORE WILL BE ADDED TO THIS 1ST PAGE:
(News/ Game Preview/ Game Line-Ups/ Changes/ etc.)

GO LEAFS GO !!

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#2 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

And don't laugh too hard.., as this is one of my very first attempts at making a video... Thanks to Intransway for guiding me through this.. I hope to get much better in a month or two.. and do something a little more current and original..

#3 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Posted Image

**** EXPECTED TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS LINE-UP **** CONFIRMEDEdited: Sat. 6:15PM

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-MacArthur
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Orr-McClement-Brown

Phaneuf-Kostka..... *NEW D-LINES !
Liles-Komisarek
Gunnarsson-Franson

Scrivens (*Confirmed)
Reimer

*Extras: Steckel, Fraser & Holzer *(Carlyle is going ahead with 13 Forwards & 8 D-Men../ Holzer - temp.)

*(Frattin & Rielly cut... Gardiner not starting this game (IR)...Connolly cleared waivers & is on the Marlies..)
--------------------------------------------------------

EXPECTED CANADIENS LINE-UP *Unconfirmed

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-Eller-Bourque
Prust-White-Armstrong

Gorges-Subban
St. Denis-Markov
Kaberle - ?

(*Habs have a lot of injuries on the D-Line..)

Price
Budaj

#5 Someonestolemyname

Someonestolemyname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

And don't laugh too hard.., as this is one of my very first attempts at making a video... Thanks to Intransway for guiding me through this.. I hope to get much better in a month or two.. and do something a little more current and original..

Don't sell yourself short Seer, that was a great video. A couple choppy cuts right at the end but other then that, one of the best Reimer fan videos I've seen.

PS: I took your video's YouTube virginity...do I call it back or is it going to be super clingy?
PPS: What are you doing up at this hour?
  • AKA: MaxPower417
  • AKA: Someonestolemybrain (Courtesy of LeafsNationCitizen)

#6 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

Don't sell yourself short Seer, that was a great video. A couple choppy cuts right at the end but other then that, one of the best Reimer fan videos I've seen.

PS: I took your video's YouTube virginity...do I call it back or is it going to be super clingy?
PPS: What are you doing up at this hour?

Thanks for your words, Someone.., but I have a LOT to learn about it all.. and I'd like to get some new clips of games.., now that I know how to do it.. I just played around a bit for an hour or two, with this one.. I see MANY mistakes.. LOL! It's just two video clips patched together & edited in places.., with the Judas Priest song "Grinder" added in..

I usually get up around 5.., but I knocked off around 5:30...., as I hadn't slept much for the last two days..

You took my virginity..?

I guess it grew back..? :lol:

*EDIT: Is the board acting a little wonky for you, too..?

#7 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Posted Image

Just trying to appease everyone here... LOL!

#8 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

And since this thread will most likely get a glance from most.., I wanted to ask Beergirl and the Mods a question..

This is what is posted on the TML home page... Is this saying that we are not the "official fan page"..? That we are second..?

If so.., I am pretty disappointed... in our board being rated this way... They get a direct LINK to their page, while we remain hidden in a drop down box..? What do you Regs think about this one..?

Here's the post I am referring to: (MAIN PAGE)

JOIN US ON FACEBOOK!

Posted Image
Join the official fan page of the Maple Leafs
and start interacting with other members of
Leafs Nation and talk about the Blue and White!

#9 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

It's great to have the game we love back where it belongs. Been a long time, I love listening to the games on the radio watching on t.v. if I can or whatever. Fun stuff. Thing that bugs me is when people say the montreal vs toronto rivalry is dead. Ya right, tell that to the fans! I think it will be a pretty entertaining game and one of those close tight contests, but of course we will find a way somehow.

I like the look of our lineup as well, should be interesting. You do a good job of the videos and It's good to see your GT threads for the blue and white again Seer. Go leafs Go! Can't wait until Saturday!

#10 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,000 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

...................4 Days..., 3 Days..., 2 Days...,1 Day...,
............................................. Posted ImagePUCK DROP..!! Posted Image

Posted Image

...........................Posted Image

........................**** FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON...!! ****
...........................SATURDAY, JANUARY 19TH 2013 - 7PM

......................................MAPLE LEAFS (0-0-0) @ CANADIENS (0-0-0)
......................................TV: CBC, RDS (HD), NHLN-US (HD)
......................................TORONTO & MONTREAL ARE TIED FOR 1ST PLACE... :P

Well Guys... We are finally here...! Four days to go....! Posted Image

No main preview written yet, so I will edit later again.. and post the latest Leaf News, for now.. It has been a long time since I have had the privilege of doing a Leaf GT.., so let's get this party started early...!!

Leafs Prospect Rielly Looks To Make Mark

Posted Image
Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Morgan Rielly skates down the ice during the team's
first day of training camp in Toronto on Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013.

TORONTO - Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle is comfortable with the idea of giving a top prospect a shot with the big club.

When he was a head coach in Anaheim in 2010, Cam Fowler was given a chance to play and quickly cemented a spot on the Ducks' blue-line. Morgan Rielly is hoping to take a similar path to the NHL with the Maple Leafs.

The six-foot-one, 200-pound defenceman has looked solid over the first two days of training camp.
"The one thing is he's been a quick study, he's been a kid who's been able to absorb a lot in a short period of time," Carlyle said Monday. "He's played in some pressure situations and we're looking at playing him to his strengths."

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind for the 18-year-old Vancouver native.

He averaged nearly a point a game with the Western Hockey League's Moose Jaw Warriors before joining the Canadian team that finished fourth at the world junior hockey championship in Ufa, Russia.

Rielly returned to North America and took part in some informal skates at the Leafs' practice rink before the collective bargaining agreement was ratified. The fifth overall pick in last year's draft is definitely in game shape after a busy few months.

Whether he's ready for the rigours of games at the NHL level is the big question. Carlyle said the short training camp and lack of pre-season games make things a little more challenging.

"I can remember playing Cam Fowler in every exhibition game," Carlyle said. "Most coaches would play their young players — if they had a chance to make their hockey club — you'd give them every opportunity to prove to you they could. And right now we're not afforded that with (four) days left of practice.

"We only have a very short period of time so that magnifies the assessment. He's a very skilled young man."

Fowler, who was also drafted in the first round, was 18 when he cracked the Anaheim roster. He had 40 points in his rookie campaign and followed it up with a 29-point season in 2011-12.

Rielly is considered a strong puck-moving defenceman who is comfortable playing a lot of minutes. The odds of cracking the roster aren't great but he's hoping to make a good impression.

"I know (Carlyle) kept Cam but it's obviously a pretty hard league to play in when you're 18 years old," Rielly said. "You're playing against some older guys and stuff like that. I'm pretty confident with how I've been playing. But obviously I've got to keep working hard."

Rielly is comfortable with the higher tempo and knows it's only going to get more difficult over the next few days.

"He's got great vision on the ice," Carlyle said. "If you watch him pass the puck and move the puck, he's got NHL passing skills. You see him up top on the power play, you can see that's one of his strengths. He's not intimidated by any of those situations.

"The other part of it — the defensive zone coverage and the gap control drills that we did today — those things are different. But they're different for every junior player coming into an NHL camp."
Carlyle put the players through a spirited workout at the MasterCard Centre. Intense skating drills capped the two-hour session, with new general manager Dave Nonis and his management team watching from the stands.

The Maple Leafs, who will open the season Saturday in Montreal, are hoping to improve on a disappointing 13th-place finish in the Eastern Conference last season.

"I think all levels of the organization are going to feel that there is more pressure to have success," Carlyle said. "We know that. We welcome it and it's up to us to perform and that's our responsibility."

As for Rielly, he's trying to soak up the experience and hope that his hard work pays off.
"I understand that I have an opportunity here that a whole lot of other kids don't get," he said. "So I'm going to try to make the most of it."

---> http://www.montrealg...9132/story.html

**** SEER'S "WHO I'D LIKE TO SEE START" LEAF LINE-UP ****

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
MacArthur-Grabovski-Kulemin
Frattin-McClement-Komarov
Connolly-Steckel-Brown

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Liles-Kostka
Holzer-Franson

Reimer
Scrivens (*unless we have news)

*Last Season's 1st Game:

*AS ALWAYS, MUCH MORE WILL BE ADDED TO THIS 1ST PAGE:
(News/ Game Preview/ Game Line-Ups/ Changes/ etc.)

GO LEAFS GO !!

Does JVR not fit into the line up you would like to see opening night?

#11 Russell_23

Russell_23

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • LocationCambridge ON

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Just read that ANdy Frost WILL still be hosting a Post Game Call In... as he has for the last 17 yrs.... if you've not caught his show... highly recommend it.... this guy is one class act.... espeially when dealing with an overzealous Leafs Fan... WHAT?? Leafs Fans overzealous?????

http://www.hockeybuz...edule/120/48460

#12 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Do you think Scrivens should start instead of Reimer? I know technically Reimer is supposed to be the number one goalie but that is what Burke said I never heard that from the coach Carlyle have you? No offense but reimer has not played a meaningful game in nearly a year and looks like crap out there, I heard in practice he was god awful, everyone goes high glove on him because they know he'll never save those. Even colton orr scored on him! You know you are struggling when colton orr scores on you in practice.

Scrivens is hot right now, I know ahl is not nhl, but who cares, he is confident he is on a hot streak, he is playing great, reimer is a joke right now, he blows hot and cold looks great one minute looks like a sieve the next. Every game this year is important and yes reimer needs playing time but there is too much rust and we can't afford a losing streak.

Bottom line put scrivens in against montreal and see what happens. If he goes on a tear great, less pressure on reimer.

#13 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Kessel, Bozak, Lupul
Macarthur, Grabovski, JVR
Kullimen, McClemment, Komarov
Brown, Steckel, Connolly

Phaneuf, Gunarsson
Liles, Franson
Kotska, Holzer

Scrivens to start!

#14 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,926 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Gnashing at the bit there Seer? Got this one out early. Don't ya usually close these til game day?

#15 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Gnashing at the bit there Seer? Got this one out early. Don't ya usually close these til game day?

The MODS usually close them until game day.

But sometimes they keep them up if there's enough hype like now. As long as we keep discussion on this particular game they usually let it slide.

Anyway I can't see Scrivens starting this game, we have to defer to our more established goalie. It's kind of sad that our most established goalie doesn't even have one whole season under his belt.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#16 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Does JVR not fit into the line up you would like to see opening night?

LMAO! My bad... :wub:

You are entirely right, Racer.. I posted this about 4AM..., so the coffee hadn't taken affect, yet... I also forgot to include Rielly (changed it now).. Rielly is expected to get five game, if he stays up..

#17 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Just read that Andy Frost WILL still be hosting a Post Game Call In... as he has for the last 17 yrs.... if you've not caught his show... highly recommend it.... this guy is one class act.... espeially when dealing with an overzealous Leafs Fan... WHAT?? Leafs Fans overzealous?????

http://www.hockeybuz...edule/120/48460

I want his job..

Over zealous..? What's that..? LMAO! Posted Image

#18 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,075 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Feels weird seeing these for a Leafs game again.

#19 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Feels weird seeing these for a Leafs game again.

Just to be sure... Click your heels together and see if we're in Kansas...? Posted Image

#20 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,483 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map