Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Rielly for Duchene

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

On the fan this morning they were talking about this. Its not really a trade rumor but they were talking about the possibility of this kind of trade and if it would be good for the Leafs.

The question was a straight up, Morgan Rielly for Matt Duchene.

The arguments for were, the Leafs already have Gardiner (who is a similiar player) and several of offensive D-men in the system. While Rielly looks really good now that doesn't mean he will be a player (Pogge looked amazing too). Matt Duchene IS an NHL caliber player.

The argument against were, what if Rielly ends up winning a Norris?
You never see Coke taking a shot at Pepsi

#2 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

What functioning coherent human being would make that trade?

#3 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

From whos perspective?

#4 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

From whos perspective?

So what you are telling me is, if you owned Matt Duchene you would make that trade?

#5 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

So what you are telling me is, if you owned Matt Duchene you would make that trade?

Maybe.

They have Stastny and O'Reilly to be a top 2 set of centres.

Do they have any top flight defensive prospects who are almost NHL ready (if not already NHL ready)?

I agree they'd probably try to move O'Reilly or Stastny instead, but no one's untouchable.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#6 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,510 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

from the Leafs perspective it does fill a huge hole. If you could move a few forwards in other deals, it would definitely be worth a look.

Realistically, if you are going to make the Luongo trade, and deal Bozak in the process, you need something like to fill the hole.

#7 H-B-C-Y-G

H-B-C-Y-G

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 16,297 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

We would easily do that. Rielly is a great prospect who could end up being better than Gardiner, but Duchene is young, highly skilled, signed for a few more years and is still an RFA when his deal is up. Colorado would still probably like to keep him over Stastny first, and would be taking a larger risk in that bird in hand scenario.

#8 Val_James

Val_James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Okay player, had an off year and hasn't really shown he's a no.1 centre... I'd have to think about it.

#9 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,440 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Okay player, had an off year and hasn't really shown he's a no.1 centre... I'd have to think about it.

If he had shown he was definitely a #1, we wouldn't be able to get him at all. There's no way Colorado trades him if he's a sure thing. The only reason they'd discuss it is because he hasn't shown he's a #1 yet.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#10 DAN_TML

DAN_TML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

the real trade would be liles, bozak perhaps as they get a veteran who is missed and bozak who is from there

#11 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationOrangeville Ontario

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:07 AM

Are you kidding. I would trade reilly in a new york minute for Matt Duchesne.

#12 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:09 AM

Oh ok ya I agree I thought you were leaning the other way. Ya your'e right no one in their right mind would make this trade on their side. Unless you throw in Bozak and a first, then they still might not trade him. He just isn't the type of guy you trade. He is the face of the franchise there.

#13 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

Maybe it would be reilly, bozak and gunnarson and a second for Duchesne. Now your talking. Then they get a solid number two centre to play behind stasny, a roster dman who everyone but me likes in gunnarson, and a top tier prospect who everyone is touting to be the next Gardiner and a second rounder. It still wouldn't happen. Duchesne is just too good.

#14 underhill14

underhill14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

I would do the deal in less than half of a heart beat!!!

And the reason why....in the time we have been looking for a #1C we have had or acquired or drafted a butt load of PMDs but have yet to acquire anything close to a #1C. Gardiner, Reilly, Liles....add to the list a handful more every year since Sundin left.

We have Gardiner why not move Reilly....especially for Duchene.

Make the call Nonis! Now please!

#15 Crederer

Crederer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

komi for duchene. seriously though, if a gm made that trade theyd be fired immediately and rightly so

#16 Boneshaker

Boneshaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationStrathvegas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

It's tempting,yet I would be reserved to trade our best D prospect when that is also something we need just about as badly as Colorado. Yet for as strong as they are down the middle, they could use a solid winger or two, something we have a lot of in the system. Give them a top six center to replace Duchene with AND a good young winger (or two) and you might get them to bite just as much as Reilly for Duchene straight up!

#17 jigson

jigson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:34 AM

keep our kids and develop them.

stop trading away the future

develop a center

"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

"Stats are like a lamp post.

You can use it to lean on, or, you can be illuminated by it".

-Jim Corsi

#18 nodoubtabouter

nodoubtabouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 920 posts
  • LocationLOv ONT.

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:20 AM

if we got Duchene there would still be lots of developing to do....they def wouldnt just swap tho...and would want Bozak or maybe even McClement back too...and probably more

#19 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to pa-memcache01.nhl.com:11211, Connection refused (146) in /ifs/prod/invision/mapleleafs/community/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

keep our kids and develop them.

stop trading away the future

develop a center

Who do they have who looks as good as Duchene?

#20 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,419 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm in for sure. I'll agree that this is a no-brainer trade if it were at all possible.

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map