Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Leaf Goaltending

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm as happy as everyone else with our win-loss record; with Carlyle's coaching; and with the play of the young guns.

But I have to say that I'm still really concerned with our goaltending.

I realize that, at the moment, we have very little choice; but, so far; Reimer and Scrivens doesn't do it for me.

I get the impression that Carlyle has already partially lost confidence in Scrivens.

That brings us to Reimer.

I know Reimer has 3 wins; and the last 2 in a row. The fact that the last 2 wins were by 1 goal; does show some competence on Reimer's part; but I honestly think our wins this year have more to do with Carlyle's good defensive system; than Reimer's play.

Reimer has still given up one bad goal in each game; and he surrenders far too many rebounds. The good teams, like the Bruins, are going to kill us with those rebounds.

I fully agree with Carlyle giving the lion's share of starts to Reimer; who has shown he's the better goalie; but if Reimer doesn't improve considerably in the short term; the cry for consistant goaltending will again fill the ACC.

Speak Softly; and carry a BIG STICK!

#2 Tiggaracing

Tiggaracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

I agree he's let in a few softies but it's way too early both in the season and Reimer's career to panic about it yet. So far this season even with the softies that have slipped by him he still has a better save % than;

Backstrom
Rask
Quick
Rinne
Bobrovsky
Nabokov
Howard
Lundqvist
Theodore
Elliott
Neuvirth
and about 12 other starting Elite NHL goalies

I'm fully prepared to sit with Reimer & see what he's got for a couple seasons. Unless we can steal Luongo without giving up any of our up coming young guns I'd rather take my chances and see how far he can take it.

#3 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Its no so much Reimer I'm worried about. He is going to get better and better, with time. He can work his way up to being a true number one goalie. It's all the other goalies in the system I'm worried about right now, none of them have really jumped out there and wowed the hell out of anyone, that I can see.

We could use an elite goalie like we had in the days of Cujo, Belfour to an extent, and before that even Fuhr and Potvin. It's true we do not have that right now. I don't even like the fact of Scrivens as a back up but that's what we have right now, barring a big trade or something.

I agree I think carlyle's system is fine but reimer or whoever is in net is going to have to deliver quality goaltending EVERY single game. If that does not happen, as good as our offense is, as good as our system may be, we will not win enough games without solid goaltending.

#4 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Good defense will clear the rebounds and help Reimer smother the puck more often, that should be an area the coach needs to work on with the players. Goalies give up rebounds, being in the right place to retrieve the puck after a rebound is vital to reducing shots against and potential goals. Also, Reimer's rebound control is no better or worse then Anderson's if you watch some of the highlight saves from the first several games.

#5 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Good defense will clear the rebounds and help Reimer smother the puck more often, that should be an area the coach needs to work on with the players. Goalies give up rebounds, being in the right place to retrieve the puck after a rebound is vital to reducing shots against and potential goals. Also, Reimer's rebound control is no better or worse then Anderson's if you watch some of the highlight saves from the first several games.

That's true.

But there are rebounds; and there are rebounds.

Some rebounds are almost impossible to control; no matter who the goalie is.

Other rebounds are totally controllable. Those are the rebounds that I was referring to.

#6 Crederer

Crederer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

So far I`ve been satisfied with the goaltending. He let in some soft ones, you can`t expect perfection. The best goalies in the league do that as well.

He`s played well enough to not trade for a big name guy imo (so far, anyways).

#7 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

So far I`ve been satisfied with the goaltending. He let in some soft ones, you can`t expect perfection. The best goalies in the league do that as well.

He`s played well enough to not trade for a big name guy imo (so far, anyways).

Just to make myself clear; I'm not advocating rushing out, and overpaying for a goalie right now.

What I'm saying is, don't be lulled into thinking that our goaltending problems are solved. They aren't.

It's Carlyle's defensive system, that's responsible for our improving GAA.

#8 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,578 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

I thinbk that Reimer might surprise you yet, Hithard.., <-(how about 3H?) ...but I agree about Scrivs.. One more AHL season, I'd say..

I wonder what happened with the goalie that was sort of snuck in at training camp (I posted an article in the Prospects thread about it)..?

We do have one other younger tender who is having a good year, though.. (Rynnas).. and Sparks hasn't been too shabby in Juniors.. (I'd actually be interested in seeing him in a game, because he was also chosen for the US Jrs. this year... and the games I've watched of the Storm, he's looked like he "might" be one of the young sensations who could make the jump..?)

Garret Sparks - (G) - Guelph Storm OHL - 42 games.. 25 wins.. 10 losses.. 4 ties.. 6SO.. SV% 0.920

I'd still be more comfortable with a Vet. back up, but who is available that would fit the bill and be worth it..?

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#9 Pawchio

Pawchio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

we need better D. phaneuf and kostka are not top 2 defencemen on any team. kostka probably isn't in the starting 6 on any team. he is starting to fizzle out after having 1 or 2 good games. an improved defence will help reimer. look what happened to rask when the bruins stopped playing D.. he let in 6.

#10 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

I thinbk that Reimer might surprise you yet, Hithard.., <-(how about 3H?) ...but I agree about Scrivs.. One more AHL season, I'd say..

I wonder what happened with the goalie that was sort of snuck in at training camp (I posted an article in the Prospects thread about it)..?

We do have one other younger tender who is having a good year, though.. (Rynnas).. and Sparks hasn't been too shabby in Juniors.. (I'd actually be interested in seeing him in a game, because he was also chosen for the US Jrs. this year... and the games I've watched of the Storm, he's looked like he "might" be one of the young sensations who could make the jump..?)

Garret Sparks - (G) - Guelph Storm OHL - 42 games.. 25 wins.. 10 losses.. 4 ties.. 6SO.. SV% 0.920

I'd still be more comfortable with a Vet. back up, but who is available that would fit the bill and be worth it..?

I like that, Seer!

#11 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

we need better D. phaneuf and kostka are not top 2 defencemen on any team. kostka probably isn't in the starting 6 on any team. he is starting to fizzle out after having 1 or 2 good games. an improved defence will help reimer. look what happened to rask when the bruins stopped playing D.. he let in 6.

You don't have to convince me, Paw.

As far as I'm concerned, defense is the most important component of a team.

If you have good defense, you can win a Stanley Cup with an average goalie; but if your defense is suspect; even a great goalie can't win you a Stanley Cup.

But the truth is, even if you upgrade the defense exponentially; a goalie who allows soft goals; isn't going to cut it.

#12 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

I like that, Seer!

I actually goofed.. LOL! Should be HHO... (HitHardandOften).. For some reason, I was thinking of "hard & heavy"..

I would actually also offer my own services as netminder.., but they don't allow smoking in the dressing-rooms anymore.....and with no ice girls for the Leafs, it would make it kind of bring before the game starts.. ... LOL!

(Plus.. They would have to have a good size HD flat screen in there, for all my video pumps.. :P )

#13 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,846 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Phaneuf isn't? I understand Kostka but Phaneuf isn't?

Can you name 60 d-men better than Phaneuf?

Neuf is a top 2 dman on most teams. Just because he isn't a franchise talent doesn't mean he isn't a top 2 dman.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#14 ToTheMax

ToTheMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I have to disagree on this, Kostka is doing pretty well for a rookie and I think hes going to be a good match up with Phaneuf, they seemed to start clicking last game and I only seen Kostka trying to block shots, the potential is there, the only problem I see is lack of blocked shots and the D are going to have to change this tonight against Boston.

#15 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,667 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

I actually goofed.. LOL! Should be HHO... (HitHardandOften).. For some reason, I was thinking of "hard & heavy"..

I would actually also offer my own services as netminder.., but they don't allow smoking in the dressing-rooms anymore.....and with no ice girls for the Leafs, it would make it kind of bring before the game starts.. ... LOL!

(Plus.. They would have to have a good size HD flat screen in there, for all my video pumps.. :P )

Oh come on, Seer; don't tell me you smoke?

I know, coming from our generation; that everybody smoked( growing up, as a kid, out of 6 people living in the house; only my mother and I didn't smoke. Later, I did start smoking); but it's time to stop, Buddy.

The health risks just aren't worth it.

#16 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Oh come on, Seer; don't tell me you smoke?

I know, coming from our generation; that everybody smoked( growing up, as a kid, out of 6 people living in the house; only my mother and I didn't smoke. Later, I did start smoking); but it's time to stop, Buddy.

The health risks just aren't worth it.

You have to remember what I do... and that I am half Indigenous... I do NOT smoke cigarettes you buy from the store... It is not nicotine in tobacco that is really killing people the most, it is the 2000+ added chemicals..., in the store bought tobacco.. (I'm not saying smoking is completely good for you though, either).. Tobacco, Sweet Grass, Sage & Cedar are our four Sacred Medicines.. I use them for all kinds of things..

Reservation tobacco is cheaper, chemical free.. and is like a cigar.. The cigarette you roll from it often goes out, if you don't keep smoking it.. (because there are no solvents to make it burn, like regular store bought tobacco has).. There is also a great, newer Canadian tobacco on the market that sells stores cigarettes called:"NORTHFIELD NATURAL".., but not all stores carry them..

If you have to smoke, smoke Rez tobacco.., or this brand I just listed.. (or another brand called NATIVE, if you can find it)..

BUT.. AGAIN.. I am not promoting smoking... It's just if you are going to smoke, leave the chemicals for the Paper Mills..

#17 ToTheMax

ToTheMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

You have to remember what I do... and that I am half Indigenous... I do NOT smoke cigarettes you buy from the store... It is not nicotine in tobacco that is really killing people the most, it is the 2000+ added chemicals..., in the store bought tobacco.. (I'm not saying smoking is completely good for you though, either).. Tobacco, Sweet Grass, Sage & Cedar are our four Sacred Medicines.. I use them for all kinds of things..

Reservation tobacco is cheaper, chemical free.. and is like a cigar.. The cigarette you roll from it often goes out, if you don't keep smoking it.. (because there are no solvents to make it burn, like regular store bought tobacco has).. There is also a great, newer Canadian tobacco on the market that sells stores cigarettes called:"NORTHFIELD NATURAL".., but not all stores carry them..

If you have to smoke, smoke Rez tobacco.., or this brand I just listed.. (or another brand called NATIVE, if you can find it)..

BUT.. AGAIN.. I am not promoting smoking... It's just if you are going to smoke, leave the chemicals for the Paper Mills..

Thats what I smoke!! I went there yesterday to restock 8.00 a carton and of course filled up the gas tank 116.5 a litre, a big gas tank like mine 95 litre sure beats paying 130.7 hehehe, I suggest everyone should go to the rez for gas!! :)

#18 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sparks has been better this year, but last season he was pretty lousy for the Storm. Trust me, I watch a lot of their games and he has improved greatly this year, too bad the team in front of him isn't all that good. They'd go deep this year if they had some better players. I'd assume that he moves up to the ECHL next season and works his way up the ladder, it's nearly impossible to predict if he will become an NHL star in a few years or if he will turn into another Thomas McCollum, a goalie prospect for Detroit who has been playing in the AHL for at least 6 years now, maybe more and he has struggled as well.

#19 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thats what I smoke!! I went there yesterday to restock 8.00 a carton and of course filled up the gas tank 116.5 a litre, a big gas tank like mine 95 litre sure beats paying 130.7 hehehe, I suggest everyone should go to the rez for gas!! :)

I also HIGHLY recommend that if you've never paid a few bucks to attend a Summer fish-fry open to the public, that you do it..! You usually get WAY MORE fish than you ever would anywhere else.., a heaping helping of home-made fries.. and (when you get a really good one) some fresh home-made bannock (fry bread)..!!

Okay.. Now I have to say sorry for digressing off the subject. because I am getting hungry..!

Reimer needs to EAT UP the opposition...! :D Posted Image

#20 Seer

Seer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,578 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Sparks has been better this year, but last season he was pretty lousy for the Storm. Trust me, I watch a lot of their games and he has improved greatly this year, too bad the team in front of him isn't all that good. They'd go deep this year if they had some better players. I'd assume that he moves up to the ECHL next season and works his way up the ladder, it's nearly impossible to predict if he will become an NHL star in a few years or if he will turn into another Thomas McCollum, a goalie prospect for Detroit who has been playing in the AHL for at least 6 years now, maybe more and he has struggled as well.

This is another reason why it might be a smart move for Eakins to get him up in the Marlies, as Owuya has had a horrendous start this season.. and it would be good for Sparks to have some confidence playing with the big boys..

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map