Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Breaking down our players

for the future

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

A lot of players have been impressing obviously early in the season. Most of them are keeping on par by consistently putting up enough points to attain as many points, in as many games played.
One of these players are Nazem Kadri with 3 goals 4 assists with a total of 7 points in 7 games. Now the question is, how would you look at Kadri if he had atleast 48 points in 48 games this season? Are you still going to look at him as another one of our kids, or are u finally going to have some expectations on him. Its about time we establish stars on our roster as well, especially if they worked hard all season to earn that title. Another one of those players could Matt Frattin, seems like demoting him to the Marlies on opening night fueled the fire in the kid, and has come out on fumes. Has 3 goals in the last 2 games and has been a major reason why we won the last couple of games. I think both of them will grow as a player each and every year they stay up with the Leafs, and gain more experience in crucial situations. Nikolai Kulemin has also had a couple of good games this week putting up 3 points in the last 3 games. Although am not expecting too much from Nik coming from an all time low of 7 goals last year, I am at least expecting him to contribute a bit more than last year.

But it seems this teams potential is really starting to kick in and i am enjoying every minute of it. Thank you Nonis for finally playing the kids and being extremely patient with this club

#2 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

A lot of players have been impressing obviously early in the season. Most of them are keeping on par by consistently putting up enough points to attain as many points, in as many games played.
One of these players are Nazem Kadri with 3 goals 4 assists with a total of 7 points in 7 games. Now the question is, how would you look at Kadri if he had atleast 48 points in 48 games this season? Are you still going to look at him as another one of our kids, or are u finally going to have some expectations on him. Its about time we establish stars on our roster as well, especially if they worked hard all season to earn that title. Another one of those players could Matt Frattin, seems like demoting him to the Marlies on opening night fueled the fire in the kid, and has come out on fumes. Has 3 goals in the last 2 games and has been a major reason why we won the last couple of games. I think both of them will grow as a player each and every year they stay up with the Leafs, and gain more experience in crucial situations. Nikolai Kulemin has also had a couple of good games this week putting up 3 points in the last 3 games. Although am not expecting too much from Nik coming from an all time low of 7 goals last year, I am at least expecting him to contribute a bit more than last year.

But it seems this teams potential is really starting to kick in and i am enjoying every minute of it. Thank you Nonis for finally playing the kids and being extremely patient with this club

You can thank Carlyle for that.

#3 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I think it's hard to analyze a lot of young players at this point. If you give them a full season to prove themselves, you will know for sure just how consistent they are going to be. I mean, you can tell who on the roster is in game shape and who isn't. Kadri and Frattin have been tearing it up and that bodes well for a team struggling to score at times. If they can remain PPG players through 82 games, then you know they aren't just kids anymore.

#4 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

Yes but nonis as well for clearing up useless roster spots, Carlyle should get credit as well

#5 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

Where do you get Nonis from? He's a general manager. The coach decides who plays.

I don't think this team is all that good. I liked the effort to come back on Buffalo after going down 2-1, but honestly, tonight you will see if they are any better since playing a real team like the Rangers, who demonstrated how easy they were to pick apart..

#6 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'm impressed with some of the tinkering to the line-up and new additions for sure. I like komarov for his grit and sandpaper, he's a great third liner, certainly more durable than army was! The chemistry between kadri and frattin is great and i think it could help kessel break out of his slump sooner than later because now people will be paying attention to those guys as well. It sucks that lupul got hurt, i live jvr's play he could conceivably play on line one or two really. Kulli is struggling a bit but maybe he can get back on track, he really needed that goal the last game he was so thankful you could see that. I'm impressed with a lot of young guys on this team for sure.

#7 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationOrangeville Ontario

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:12 PM

You can also thank Randy Carlyle for changing the defensive scheme to include a pressure forward forecheck. Something Wilson never did. I talked about it several times last year in more than one thread. The pressure forward defence puts pressure on the puck all the times, not just from the opposing blue line back thus creating less time for the opposition to set up and creating more turnovers. This is the primary reason for the success of the team, not developing players but that too has and will continue to add success. We saw how the pressure forward D scheme unhinged the pittsburg Penguins a few games ago. It frustrated them by interrupting their breakouts and inhibiting their transition game. When the leafs are skating hard under this system they will absolutely have more success. Players who will thrive under this system are Kulemin, Frattin, JVR, Lupul, and the whole fourth line. When Kulemin is skating at 100% he can be a very dangerous turnover machine with his size.

#8 jigson

jigson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,052 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

and Thank you Burke and Co. for identifying and properlly developing these guys so they could become successful contributors.
"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

#9 Kadrix43

Kadrix43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

In my opinion the breakdown is in Frattin and Kadri we have two average NHL players... They are both skilled in there own rights, but our both 40-50 point guys with skill. They will be fun to watch but every team in the league has guys like these, and thats fine, but at some point we are gonna need another forward at Kessels skill level or higher.

#10 Kadrix43

Kadrix43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Players who will be good in this system are Carter Ashton and Tyler Biggs, these guys will thrive in this system, as for our current players Bozak Kulemin and Frattins game benefit the most from this system, and JVR.

#11 Buncky

Buncky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

I want a better Fourth line...Ashton-Steckel-Biggs

#12 IrishLeaffan

IrishLeaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

and Thank you Burke and Co. for identifying and properlly developing these guys so they could become successful contributors.

You are always good for a joke!
It is a joke, isn't it?
Burke and Wilson almost ruined Kadri!

#13 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

It is a joke, isn't it?

Jig just likes to throw a dig in, to guys who were very critical of Wilson and Burke, Irish.

You know, guys like you and me. :lol:

#14 jigson

jigson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,052 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

Jig just likes to throw a dig in, to guys who were very critical of Wilson and Burke, Irish.

Actually JD, I just believe in giving credit where it is due.
"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

#15 IrishLeaffan

IrishLeaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Actually JD, I just believe in giving credit where it is due.

Well, give Burke and Wilson credit for making a real mess and then just leave them out of the thread. Give Burke credit for building the Bruins because that is the team that he did the best job building while he was with the Leafs.

#16 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

It is a joke, isn't it?

Not sure how they almost ruined Kadri... looks like he's developed just fine to me. If you are referring to the fact that he got extra time in A, that seems to have improved his game, not hindered it... he's become more consistent in the NHL.

#17 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

Ha ha ha Are you JD? did you get banned or something? he he he I was wondering why you were talking like you had been here forever hee he he :)

#18 IrishLeaffan

IrishLeaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

Not sure how they almost ruined Kadri... looks like he's developed just fine to me. If you are referring to the fact that he got extra time in A, that seems to have improved his game, not hindered it... he's become more consistent in the NHL.

They tried to crush him. Listen to and read the interviews from Kadri. They critizied him but never gave him credit when he did well. That is very crushing for young players (actually very few people are not crushed if they are continually critized without any credit when they do well).

#19 Poyetas

Poyetas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,071 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to pa-memcache01.nhl.com:11211, Connection refused (146) in /ifs/prod/invision/mapleleafs/community/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

LMOL!!!..Are you serious? I want my Fire Burke avatar back!

#20 SoCalSiouxFan

SoCalSiouxFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:34 AM

In my opinion the breakdown is in Frattin and Kadri we have two average NHL players... They are both skilled in there own rights, but our both 40-50 point guys with skill. They will be fun to watch but every team in the league has guys like these, and thats fine, but at some point we are gonna need another forward at Kessels skill level or higher.

No the team does not need another forward like Kessel. Seems that except for 1 year at Minnesota and 1 year with Boston he consistently has a negative +/-. A lot of goals are scored when he is on the ice but unfortunately most of the goals are scored by the other team.

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map