Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Attempt at a REAL Trade Proposal/Mini Rebuild...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 underhill14

underhill14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:35 PM

This is a proposal that has never been mentioned but all of the players involved have been mentioned in recent rumors.

Why not trade

Kessel and Bozak to the Avs
for
Duchene and a 1st

Avs have no wingers to play with their glut of young centers, we have no legit talent at center. Bozie and Kessel stay together, Avs get a top flight winger and a replacement 3rd line center (who can fill in at number 2 or 1). They bring OReilly back and they're set down the middle and much better on the wing.

Leafs get a #1C and a good pick in a great draft.

Really helps both teams and a fair trade on both sides.

Then for the mini rebuild we move Kule, Grabo, MacA, Gunnar, Franson, Liles for picks in, again, a great draft.

By next season we could be quickly moving in the right direction. Even if the pie in the sky dream of getting Getzlaf doesn't come true we look sooo much better as a team and prospects from the draft.

Lupul, Duchene, JVR/Acquisition...nice looking top line
Frattin, Kadri, JVR/Acquisition...this line is looking really good
Biggs/Ross/McKegg/Ashton, McClement, Komarov
Maclaren, Steckel, Orr/Brown

This is a much better line up, grittier, not a bubble team and much easier to tinker with and fill out on the wings if the wingers don't deliver.

Then with all the picks our prospects will be stacked with talent, real Sluggo-type talent. MacKinnon or Jones or Drouin or Domi or Lindholm or Barkov or Monahan.........(this is just off the top of my head but a lot of talent in the first round. With the right trading partners we could get multiple firsts for our second line and really pick up a few, key, top end talents for the future)

Add a real tough stay at home D man and if Reimer does alright this year then done...if not get one of the good vet UFAs to come in and work with him.

Phaneuf, Stayathome D
Gardiner, Fraser (I like this guy, a little more time in the NHL, he will work well)

Reimer/Vet UFA

A quick mini rebuild that leaves us in a much better position short term and long term.

#2 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,231 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Duchene is perhaps the most untouchable Av.

As much as I would like this deal I don't see the Avs even listening when Duchene's name comes up. Especially since they have yet to sign O'Rielly.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#3 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationOrangeville Ontario

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

So you are removing two thirds of our first line and the whole second line. Removing five forwards and two defencemen. Adding 3 to five picks depending on how many you get for grabo mac and Kulie. so next year those picks will most likely end up going back to junior, and we are left with 9 forwards and five defence. How do you ice a 23 man roster? Take more players from the marlies?

You have definitely eliminated our center problem but now we lack enough players to ice a full team> We would lack a real goal scorer, now we need a third line center assuming Kadri replaces Grabovski and you are short two wingers.

Radical changes for sure. I love Duchesne but when you eliminate one problem and create another one you aren't really helping. We have a glut of young defencemen coming up next year, therefore we have a couple d men who we can trade for picks. USE those additional picks and include them in a trade for a top centre OR use them to move up in the draft and draft your centreman. Either way it's hard to get the guy you like.

I like the initial trade for duchesne but I wouldn't go trading the second line for picks. Add duchesne to Lupul and go get another scoring winger with all the defencemn that you have. Reilly and Percy to edmonton for Yakapov. Then your first line would be Lupul Duchesne Yakapov
Kulie Grabo JVR
Frattin Kadri Hamilton
Brown Stackel Orr

#4 Goulet

Goulet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

After a 4-3 start, lets blow it up?

The Duchene proposal is a little much but kind of fun. It would be nice to have a little more size though.

#5 Terry-Silver

Terry-Silver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

Laughable from an Avs perspective

#6 Kadrix43

Kadrix43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:54 PM

Well not laughable, Kessel is a serious piece in any trade. Remember hes still young also. Duchene is a total beast, most athletic skilled player in the league, but not the smartest. This is a good trade for us because of the 1st though. This trade is decent though and it would shake up both rosters but i dont think Colorado would want to split up with there 1st.. I think its better we dont trade Kessel and go after O'rielly or Stastny.

#7 underhill14

underhill14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:04 PM

After a 4-3 start, lets blow it up?

The Duchene proposal is a little much but kind of fun. It would be nice to have a little more size though.

Nothing to do with the start we are having ALL to do with the team we have and being able to make a serious Cup run.

Not sure about you but I would like to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs....not keep watching a good start or a good run and then a complete poop to bed slump that get us no where.

#8 underhill14

underhill14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:18 PM

Well not laughable, Kessel is a serious piece in any trade. Remember hes still young also. Duchene is a total beast, most athletic skilled player in the league, but not the smartest. This is a good trade for us because of the 1st though. This trade is decent though and it would shake up both rosters but i dont think Colorado would want to split up with there 1st.. I think its better we dont trade Kessel and go after O'rielly or Stastny.

Sounds okay too.

And your point about Duchene is exactly right and because of it might make sense for the Avs to trade him. He will get smarter but since he isn't right now....could be a window of opportunity.

I watch a lot of Avs hockey and their depth is bad, worse than ours since they don't have an abundance of 3/4 liners. **** Johnny Mitchell is their 3rd line center top scorer....almost. If they had a winger like Kessel and 3rd line C like Bozak they would be a much better team....so much so they wouldn't miss Duchene. And PA Parenteau is their top winger....come on.

Landeskog, Statsny, Kessel
PA, OReilly, McGinn
Bozak on the 3rd line is a massive upgrade for them.

While Lupul, Duchene, JVR is a big upgrade for us.

Whether we get a first or second pick could be the question....I think a first is definitely worth it because Kessel is a young gifted scorer, he is worth it.

Otherwise I think the trade makes good sense for both teams. (A little wishful thinking for me)

#9 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

The Ava won't trade their best (second worst at least) young player AND first round pick for Kessel and bozak. It's simply a bad deal for them. They don't get better and they give up a lot of future assets.

That deal would probably be just as bad for the abs as the Kessel deal was for the leafs
You never see Coke taking a shot at Pepsi

#10 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

It's funny, people obviously see the value in great young talent like, duchene and yakupov because people keep trying to suggest ways the leafs could trade for a player like that, yet so few want to see the leafs draft the player themselves. Tank, no, no. They can't, never, it's not honourable etc.... That's how teams get those kinds of players.

#11 lovkoser

lovkoser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:31 AM

tchhalsoka

#12 ToTheMax

ToTheMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:35 AM

Kessel and Bozak for Getzlaf, I like Duchene but rather have Getzlaf, sure its far fetched but not really, Ducks will have a hard time signing both Perry and Getzlaf and both would want a increase in salary for sure, so would be better to trade Kessel 5.5mil and Bozak 1.5mil I believe= 7mil on there cap, Getzlaf will probally want 7mil + to stay, in a way it would be better for the Ducks to go this route to save. We dont just need a 1st line center but we need a captian too, Getzlaf could get the Leafs to the playoffs, coached in RC style of play for many years could and will benefit our players making it easier for them to implement RC's style.

#13 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,031 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

I almost cried when I saw Duchene go in the draft. I was such a huge fan of him as a junior. Never gonna happen.

#14 Goulet

Goulet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:20 PM

Nothing to do with the start we are having ALL to do with the team we have and being able to make a serious Cup run.

Not sure about you but I would like to make the playoffs and win in the playoffs....not keep watching a good start or a good run and then a complete poop to bed slump that get us no where.

The" blow it up" bit is nothing new. I think the Leafs are only a few pieces away from being a contender, which is why I don't understand these threads.

I am struggling while I watch games this year. I love what Carlyle brings to the team and his impact is plain as day, but, nothing has changed. The same lines that have the Leafs at the bottom of the league continue to roll out.

Do they need a goalie? Yes. Do they need a centre? Yes. Do they need more size? Yes. Better D? Yes.

ERRRR. Just a tad frustrated I am me thinks.

#15 sluggo

sluggo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,863 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

The" blow it up" bit is nothing new. I think the Leafs are only a few pieces away from being a contender, which is why I don't understand these threads.

I am struggling while I watch games this year. I love what Carlyle brings to the team and his impact is plain as day, but, nothing has changed. The same lines that have the Leafs at the bottom of the league continue to roll out.

Do they need a goalie? Yes. Do they need a centre? Yes. Do they need more size? Yes. Better D? Yes.

It's because blowing a team up and drafting early is how you get the few pieces the leafs need.

#16 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Don't get frustrated!

You obviously have a good handle on what the Leafs require to be a contender.

Think about those poor slobs who think the Leafs are the cat's meow!

#17 DAN_TML

DAN_TML

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

to be fair to toronto, we have d-man coming up finn, reilly, percy, blacker, nilson, granberg do we have legit forwards beside abbott not really and goalie we have no one up or down the lineup, size is not a key to wining, look at tampa, stamkos, conacher, st. louis are all small player, size is good for bottom 2 lines but that requires making the 3rd line a checking line, we are a long way away

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map