Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Captain

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Mr_Darklighter

Mr_Darklighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:02 AM

I can't claim to know what goes on in the locker room, but in terms of on ice performance, Dion Phaneuf should not be a captain in the NHL. Let alone of this floundering, but historic franchise.

I see absolutely nothing about his game that merits him getting that position. Lackluster to say the least!

I try hard to like this guy. He had some good games last season and obviously before that, but I never thought he earned the captaincy, and has certainly not lived up to it (in terms of actual on-ice play)...

At the time I felt it was a rushed and silly decision and still believe it to have been a wrong one.

I am now ready to be flamed by all the Dion Phaneuf fans (did I mention yet that I try REALLY hard to like this guy? lol)

#2 Mr_Darklighter

Mr_Darklighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:05 AM

P.S. I understand that locker room vocal leaders can be crucial (which is what I hear Dion Phaneuf has to offer) but I think leading by example is far more important.

I appreciate that he is trying (maybe too hard at times) but in the end I just don't think he is as good as he was/as everyone thought he would be for years to come.

Hope I am wrong!

#3 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

I don't think you're wrong.

I've been saying that Phaneuf is not captain material for 2 years now.

Unfortunately, right now there's nobody who is.

So, no sense in making the change right now.

#4 popcorn_kid

popcorn_kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

who would you suggest take the C from him?

hope you have a really good answer

#5 jigson

jigson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,177 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

I agree. I think it's time for a changing of the guard for the leafs captain, but like JD said, we need a viable replacement first. ( first line center preferably)
"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

#6 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

I'd give Phaneuf the A more then anything, he is a good leader but you need someone with experience and a guy who is going to step up and perform on the ice when it is needed the most. I don't really believe at this time that there is a guy like that on the roster. Every player has a role in terms of leadership, some guys lead by being the tough gritty types who do the hard hits and inspire the team with a fight, others lead by creating the scoring chances and putting pucks in the net. The goalie leads by making the critical, timely saves that keep you in the game, it gives the players in front of him confidence that he can do what is required of him to help the team win. I don't believe the Leafs should have a captain until they find a guy who can do all the things on the ice that make him a great leader, while being strong in the locker room. I think if they went out and got a guy like Getzlaf, I'd say he is more fit to be a captain then Phaneuf is.

#7 theZguy

theZguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

The Leafs have the same problem they had and have been having since Sundin left.

They do not have a game breaker.

I have no idea what happens in the dressing room so I can't comment on his leadership there but in front of the cameras Phaneuf is like a shy teenager. I find it hard to believe he has the motivational speaking skills to inspire the best of his teammates. And I can let that slide because some people don't need to speak to be able to lead. However, Phaneuf, doesn't seem to lead on the ice either. He tries hard I'm sure but there are others who play with more heart on the roster.

Are there better leaders on the Leafs? Almost certainly yes. Are any of them strong enough leaders to warrant taking the C from Phaneuf. Most likely not.

Changing leadership at this time seems like a gimmick that media would run wild with, create division amongst the team, and ruin the confidence of a player.

The Leafs will be far more effective as a cohesive unit without a leader than as a divided group.

#8 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,331 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

Agreed. Until there some changes made to some roster players and one is acquired that is more deserving, its too demoralizing to strip the "C", with nobody better to give it to. So for the time being, the best we can hope for is that RC starts demanding more from Phaneuf.

I really think taking Lupul out has affected him somehow. Other than fracturing Lupul's forearm he was awesome that game in all areas. He seems to have disappeared ever since.

#9 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Phaneuf never ever should of been the Leafs captain. Myself and a few others have been claiming this since day one. But, we do need somebody else to come in and claim it.

#10 trysten2

trysten2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

I too agree that Dion shouldn't be captain of this team I saw him in tonight's game where boston player was in the Leafs end and Dion was covering this player or should I say more or less just standing there not really out trying too challenge player with puck no movement thought he was a robot there for sec.

But I always thought we should have waited till we had a player who could wear that C and lead by example by getting dirty along the board's making the plays too help score goal's. Everything we had in Gilmore and Clark and so many other's who have worn that C.

But till we can find that player he will have too do nothing can be done now till than.

#11 cali_leafs_fan

cali_leafs_fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:34 AM

I agree we can't strip the C from him until we have a player to give it to. Hopefully we can sign a UFA vet in the summer who is a leader. Then we give it to him.

"If I only had a heart" - The Tin Man

#12 Kadrix43

Kadrix43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:22 AM

If he starts getting goals or making scott stevens type hits will you like him as the C? Because he is one of the only defenders in the league capable of doing both those things.

#13 Mr_Darklighter

Mr_Darklighter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:50 AM

who would you suggest take the C from him?

hope you have a really good answer

Well I would argue that there are quite a few other players on this team that show a lot more skill, commitment, and consistent competitiveness than Phaneuf. But it is too late and at this point better to wait for a more obvious successor.

#14 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Believe me, the player will come.

And when he comes; it will be OBVIOUS, that he's captain material.

How long did it take to know that Clark and Gilmour were captain material?

#15 chezz20

chezz20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

I can't claim to know what goes on in the locker room, but in terms of on ice performance, Dion Phaneuf should not be a captain in the NHL. Let alone of this floundering, but historic franchise.

I see absolutely nothing about his game that merits him getting that position. Lackluster to say the least!

I try hard to like this guy. He had some good games last season and obviously before that, but I never thought he earned the captaincy, and has certainly not lived up to it (in terms of actual on-ice play)...

At the time I felt it was a rushed and silly decision and still believe it to have been a wrong one.

I am now ready to be flamed by all the Dion Phaneuf fans (did I mention yet that I try REALLY hard to like this guy? lol)

Well as far as I am concern. He should be traded, he makes far too many mistakes. and just seems like he is just coasting around on the ice.not working hard enought.

#16 chezz20

chezz20

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Dion Phaneuf needs to be traded .

#17 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

Dion Phaneuf needs to be traded .

X2

#18 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Believe me, the player will come.

And when he comes; it will be OBVIOUS, that he's captain material.

How long did it take to know that Clark and Gilmour were captain material?

Gilmour's not really a fair comparison. He's a hall of famer, you don't need to be that good to be a captain, it helps, but you don't need to be. It's like comparing Dustin Brown to Luc Robitaille or Shawn Horcoff to Messier or Gretzky. When Brown and Horcoff are perfectly good captains, but they're no comparison to their larger than life predecessors.

But Clark, yeah, it didn't seem to take long before he had the team firmly in grasp.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#19 SoCalSiouxFan

SoCalSiouxFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

Get one of the College guys to be captain. Toews is a good Captain for Chicago, won the cup in 2010. Parise was a good Captain for New Jersey, his team was in the cup finals. Frattin went to the same Hockey school as those guys, make him captain. :D

#20 cokenfries

cokenfries

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

Get one of the College guys to be captain. Toews is a good Captain for Chicago, won the cup in 2010. Parise was a good Captain for New Jersey, his team was in the cup finals. Frattin went to the same Hockey school as those guys, make him captain. :D

As someone posted in the other thread ... You must be Frattin's mom or lover :)

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map