Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Trading Gardiner for Ryan Oreilly even up!

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 blefaryone

blefaryone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

Not sure I can back that statement.

Grabo hustles but can,t pass and watch Bozak in his own end against the Stalls next game how easily he is pushed off the puck.Oreilly won over 750 faceoffs last year top 10. Bozak is good in that area.Who is a better centre than Oreilly than, on our team?

#42 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

GOOD AT SOMETHING

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Grabo hustles but can,t pass and watch Bozak in his own end against the Stalls next game how easily he is pushed off the puck.Oreilly won over 750 faceoffs last year top 10. Bozak is good in that area.Who is a better centre than Oreilly than, on our team?

Actually, their numbers are almost identical last season, and Bozak was apart of the team that had a meltdown. 18 goals and just under 53% FO.

#43 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

GOOD AT SOMETHING

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:12 PM

Oh, and its Staal.

#44 Goulet

Goulet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:16 PM

I have no idea how that backs up your claim that Gardiner is better than O'Reilly. Oh, and Anaheim dumped Gardiner as an extra in a trade for Beauchemin.

Let's hear that debate. LOL

Listen Peppy, Sonny, whatever your name is... I am not even a Gardiner fan. Yes he can move the puck, yes he has skills, yes he has torn up the ahl more or less. Is he Justin Schultz, no. Did he play with him, yes. Are D more valuable than forwards in the NHL...yes... any clown with internet access understands that.

Now, does Gardiner fit on this team??? Not really. Size has become key, as it should, and Fraser and Holzer have proved to be as valuable as Gardiner, so what does that do to his value? Nothing. He is very similar to Goligoski without the games to back it up.

At the end of the day, the Leafs need more than O'Reilly, who at the very least, is no different than Bozak.

#45 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

GOOD AT SOMETHING

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

At the end of the day, the Leafs need more than O'Reilly, who at the very least, is no different than Bozak.

No need to call me peppy. You're the one with the french name.

"O'Reilly, who at the very least, is no different than Bozak" is certainly a better argument than "END OF STORY"

#46 blefaryone

blefaryone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

Actually, their numbers are almost identical last season, and Bozak was apart of the team that had a meltdown. 18 goals and just under 53% FO.

I,d trade Bozak for Oreilly in a heartbeat. Only difference is Bozak is or will be a lot cheaper!!

#47 Poyetas

Poyetas

Logic is no match for experience

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Stastny has twice the talent of O'Reilly, let alone Bozak, who is useless by the way. Stastny, like Kessel, has gotten used to playing by himself out there and both would welcome the other like a kid opens his stocking on Christmas morning.

LOL! You can't be serious...

#48 nodoubtabouter

nodoubtabouter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationLOv ONT.

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

considering Stastnys numbers vs. O'Rielly's aside from last year thats not really a bold statement to make

Stastny is far better than him, ppl really wana brag that he was the point leader in Colorado?? he had 18 goals! big whoop hes a good player but if its just about the money then hes not worth that. cuz really hes not a huge upgrade over Bozak right now, and im sure Bozak wont be demanding anything near 5M next year.

#49 Goulet

Goulet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

No need to call me peppy. You're the one with the french name.

"O'Reilly, who at the very least, is no different than Bozak" is certainly a better argument than "END OF STORY"

Just having a little fun there, Don Cherry style.

LOL! You can't be serious...

I am. Stastny is almost a PPG player. O'Reilly is far from it.

#50 Goulet

Goulet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

O'Reilly - 107 points in 236 games

Stastny - 380 points in 438 games.

Case closed

#51 jigson

jigson

• Moderators
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Leafs need a legit TLC, why is O'Reilly even in the conversation.

Not to take away anything from the kid, I think he's very good, he just doesn't fit what we need.
"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

#52 blefaryone

blefaryone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Not to take away anything from the kid, I think he's very good, he just doesn't fit what we need.

This kid will be a # 1 centre one day IMO. He was playing behind Duschene and Stasny last year. He is exactly what we need and is very good defensively.He just turned 22 a week ago.We are building a contender we don,t have one now.Only problem i have with him is he wants 5 million a year.

#53 11Campbe11

11Campbe11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:56 AM

I'd probably do that. The Avs are desperate for offensive D. That being said, I would probably try to sell them on a package built around Franson and a prospect first.

Bozak and a D prospect... Franson is a keeper plain and simple!

the way Bozak has stepped it up another notch i dont think we should be interested anymore. Gardiner for Stastny on the other hand....

So is Gardinar but I would make the trade straight up Duchene for Gardinar!!! Stastny not my first option (or even a consideration) as by the time this team is ready to compete for the cup lets say for 5 or so years he will be a bench warmer nothing more! Trading for spare part is acceptable in that time period not key pieces so we need a much younger canidate!!!esp...for Gardinar

Terrible idea. Stastny on the other hand..

NO NO NO!!!

Toronto isn't interested in Stastny. Bozak does just as well. Stastny has sort of fallen off his play of three years ago and was never able to repeat it.! I would stop watching literally if we got him.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but he is playing well so far this year... big point getting in my Pool but just is not a fit for this team

I'd probably offer Franson + Colborne first.

If they really wanted Gardiner I'd try to pry Duchene off them and then they might consider resigning O'Reilly.

Ok nice finish to this post! but holy crap given a lot up; for a selfish, ego filled, player like O'Reilly sounds like a bad move and a Fire Nonis arguement in the near future pending that deal!
Campbell's Kitchen

More than just soups!

#54 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

GOOD AT SOMETHING

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:05 PM

Ok nice finish to this post! but holy crap given a lot up; for a selfish, ego filled, player like O'Reilly sounds like a bad move and a Fire Nonis arguement in the near future pending that deal!

Ego filled? You mean egotistical? These kids have agents, maybe that's who needs to fired.

22 years old, breakout season. Leafs are never going to get that TLC the fans all seem to fantasize about, and this kid is being touted as one of the best young centres in the world.
For what Grabovski provides (pushing 30 years old) at close to 6 million, why not this kid or someone like him?

And he's Canadian, and from Ontario! :)

#55 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationOrangeville Ontario

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Case closed

no it's not case closed. Look at the progression of stastnys output over the past five years. Not case closed.

#56 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

You're inhaling too much... I said "a little"...

...and Orr was a human.., not a beast or gazelle... LOL! :lol: (just teasing)

Orr has a serious mean streak when he wanted to. Let's hope Gardiner develops one too.

#57 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Bozak and a D prospect... Franson is a keeper plain and simple!

So is Gardinar but I would make the trade straight up Duchene for Gardinar!!! Stastny not my first option (or even a consideration) as by the time this team is ready to compete for the cup lets say for 5 or so years he will be a bench warmer nothing more! Trading for spare part is acceptable in that time period not key pieces so we need a much younger canidate!!!esp...for Gardinar

NO NO NO!!!

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but he is playing well so far this year... big point getting in my Pool but just is not a fit for this team

See the part where it quotes me saying I would stop watching literally if we got him? I never typed that! Those words are not in my post! Why do they show up here? How is someone able to add to what I actually typed. Read my post. It ends with he was never able to repeat it.

#58 Poyetas

Poyetas

Logic is no match for experience

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,517 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

Case closed

Nothing is closed....you're comparing apples to oranges. In fact, Stastny's PPG has dropped considerably in the last 3 seasons, while O'Reillys has gone up.

#59 TommyFats

TommyFats

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

gardiner straight up for O'reilly is an overpayment, but not how you might think.

I would not trade a young, potentially high level defenseman for a young 1b/2a center when trading other pieces might do..

the avs are looking for a roster player + top prospect, but I'd be willing to bet they'd be interested in a roster player + mid-high prospect if say, another prospect of pick is thrown in.

Gunnarson+(take you pick from carter,colborne,blacker,mckegg etc etc)or even 2 of em + 2nd rounder could possibly get it done.

I'd be willing to move Bozak if the avs want a younger center back who is very capable as a 2nd line guy (bozak has doen nothing but up his value this year with his faceoffs and strong defensive play)

Grabo would be available, Mac...Kulemin.

honestly, apart from in my mind.. Kessel, Lupes, Kadri, Frattin and Gardiner... this whol team has potential movability.

In the situation that another team would be willing to offer someone as valuable as Gards up for O'reilly, I'd say to stand pat. Good Free agency coming up and I don't see any reason at this moment in time that you should look to move a quality young piece for another quality young piece just yet, especially when Bozak is coming into his own.

if the leafs do anything, it'll be at the deadline, and likely if they are out of the playoffs they'd be a seller, or if they are withing shot and can get a decent deal to add.

#60 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

GOOD AT SOMETHING

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,492 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

See the part where it quotes me saying I would stop watching literally if we got him? I never typed that! Those words are not in my post! Why do they show up here? How is someone able to add to what I actually typed. Read my post. It ends with he was never able to repeat it.

Defamation of character. You deserve to be exonerated. Haha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map