Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Kadri a Hart candidate?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
73 replies to this topic

#1 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

He is certainly making his case for a Hart nomination that much is for sure. A lot of credit has to be given to Carlyle for giving him the opportunity and putting him in a position where he can flourish and adapt to the NHL effectively without the pressure of playing against top pairing defensive units.

#2 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:58 AM

You got your Leaf goggles on.

No way does Kadri merit Hart consideration this year.

I know the technical definition is "the player most valuable to his team" but you need be among the league leaders in goals and points to merit Hart consideration.

Look at the last 6 winners: Malkin, Perry, H Sedin, Ovechkin (2), Crosby. Now ask yourself: How many of those players also won either the Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophies (or both) the year they won the Hart? The answer is every single one.

What the means is that typically two of the Hart candidates are gonna be the Rocket Richard and Art Ross winners, unless the same player wins both, in which case he'd be a lock for the Hart. The last candidate will either be the guy who's #2 in goals/points, or the Vezina winning goaltender.

Right now Naz is top 20 in points and top 30 in goals, that's not gonna cut it, even for just a nomination. So unless you're predicting Nazem's going to end up in the top 3 scorers league wide by season's end, I'd forget your dreams of the Hart trophy, at least this year.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#3 youngbud

youngbud

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,841 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:03 AM

Kadri is an important piece of the puzzle and has a bright future....but he still has a long way to go before you could put him in that category. Technically this is his rookie season, because he only stuck for a few games and then got sent back down the other time. Plus this is a short season also. Give him time. I'm not knocking Kadri quite the opposite he is a great guy and a smart hockey player, he has good on ice vision and makes nice plays. But, Hart Trophy? No, not yet anyhow, way too soon to be putting Kadri in that category. Maybe a couple years from now if he continues to tear it up and be the difference maker night in night out.

#4 Someonestolemyname

Someonestolemyname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

You're insane.

• AKA: MaxPower417
  • AKA: Someonestolemybrain (Courtesy of LeafsNationCitizen)

#5 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

I know the technical definition is "the player most valuable to his team" but you need be among the league leaders in goals and points to merit Hart consideration.

Look at the last 6 winners: Malkin, Perry, H Sedin, Ovechkin (2), Crosby. Now ask yourself: How many of those players also won either the Art Ross or Rocket Richard trophies (or both) the year they won the Hart? The answer is every single one.

What the means is that typically two of the Hart candidates are gonna be the Rocket Richard and Art Ross winners, unless the same player wins both, in which case he'd be a lock for the Hart. The last candidate will either be the guy who's #2 in goals/points, or the Vezina winning goaltender.

Right now Naz is top 20 in points and top 30 in goals, that's not gonna cut it, even for just a nomination. So unless you're predicting Nazem's going to end up in the top 3 scorers league wide by season's end, I'd forget your dreams of the Hart trophy, at least this year.
[/quote

Your assessment of a Hart Trophy winner is correct, Taco; but it's too bad.

I'm not lobbying for Naz at all; just making a general observation.

The definition is, as you said, " the player who is most valuable to his team".

But I can totally envision a player who is not the Art Ross or Rocket Richard or Vezina trophy winner; being the most valuable player to his team.

I just think Hollywood has gotten into the award process too much; and it's a lot more glamorous to give awards to players who are leading in goals or points; or goalies with the best save%; than it is to give it to a defensive defenseman who only has amassed 20 points.

Speak Softly; and carry a BIG STICK!

#6 Someonestolemyname

Someonestolemyname

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:48 AM

Your assessment of a Hart Trophy winner is correct, Taco; but it's too bad.

I'm not lobbying for Naz at all; just making a general observation.

The definition is, as you said, " the player who is most valuable to his team".

But I can totally envision a player who is not the Art Ross or Rocket Richard or Vezina trophy winner; being the most valuable player to his team.

I just think Hollywood has gotten into the award process too much; and it's a lot more glamorous to give awards to players who are leading in goals or points; or goalies with the best save%; than it is to give it to a defensive defenseman who only has amassed 20 points.

They also usually need playoff success or the masses chime "well, they missed the playoffs so clearly he wasn't that valuable! har har har" Like any one player really has that kind of impact in this league.

• AKA: MaxPower417
  • AKA: Someonestolemybrain (Courtesy of LeafsNationCitizen)

#7 Drennan57

Drennan57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • LocationKingston, Ontario

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:06 AM

This is just............ lovely. 

#8 Early90sLeafs

Early90sLeafs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I can understand the emotion behind loving the Leafs and experiencing Kadri's development this year, and I can see how it could FEEL like he is worthy of the Hart. I love the kid too. But let's not delude ourselves into being "those guys."

#9 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Well put.

You're insane.

An expected Styles response :)

This is just............ lovely. 

A typical Drennan response. :)

#10 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,005 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Nope, not even close.  

#11 abnewfie

abnewfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I think this is exactly what Nonis is trying to reduce... when he was asked about Kadri in yesterday's presser.

TML fans need to take a deep breath. Slow down the excitement and halt the parade celebrations. Yes, he is playing great and carrying the team offensively the last few games but be realistic. Let's allow these guys to continue to play and have fun, just maybe they may continue to have success.

#12 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think this is exactly what Nonis is trying to reduce... when he was asked about Kadri in yesterday's presser.

TML fans need to take a deep breath. Slow down the excitement and halt the parade celebrations. Yes, he is playing great and carrying the team offensively the last few games but be realistic. Let's allow these guys to continue to play and have fun, just maybe they may continue to have success.

Did he really say "halt the parade celebrations?" Because to me that would be very condescending to the intelligent fans who aren't naive enough to get that caught up in it all.

People thought I was being over anxious by creating a Kadri picture with him wearing a C on his sweater, but that's what he's been this season. Leading by example.

I hope that isn't another distorted paraphrase because I would hate to think he would have the Wilson arrogance. To me Nonis is just a kid, and he seems like he might be a good GM, but this is Toronto. People know hockey, and we've been fooled too many times to be parade planners.

#13 abnewfie

abnewfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Just to clarify...  "halt the parade celebrations" wasn't stated by Nonis, but by me! Maybe a little to strong, but my point is most people want to boost Kadri up to unrealistic expectations...let the kid play! He scores a hat trick and now he is a Hart Trophy canidate...

#14 Zizzzzy

Zizzzzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts
  • LocationSt. Catharines

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

He is definitely playing with Heart though

#15 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:46 PM

Did he really say "halt the parade celebrations?" Because to me that would be very condescending to the intelligent fans who aren't naive enough to get that caught up in it all.

People thought I was being over anxious by creating a Kadri picture with him wearing a C on his sweater, but that's what he's been this season. Leading by example.

I hope that isn't another distorted paraphrase because I would hate to think he would have the Wilson arrogance. To me Nonis is just a kid, and he seems like he might be a good GM, but this is Toronto. People know hockey, and we've been fooled too many times to be parade planners.

What he said was something like

"I love the way Kadri's been playing, everyone does. I'd love to put a stop to the "Here comes 100 points!" talk before it starts"

It wasn't really directed at the fans though, it was more directed at the media.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

#16 Sonny_l_Styles

Sonny_l_Styles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,907 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

Just to clarify... "halt the parade celebrations" wasn't stated by Nonis, but by me! Maybe a little to strong, but my point is most people want to boost Kadri up to unrealistic expectations...let the kid play! He scores a hat trick and now he is a Hart Trophy canidate...

Man, I need to slow down, because I see now that I distorted what you said, by thinking it was a quote. apologies.

What he said was something like

"I love the way Kadri's been playing, everyone does. I'd love to put a stop to the "Here comes 100 points!" talk before it starts"

It wasn't really directed at the fans though, it was more directed at the media.

Got it.

#17 jigson

jigson

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 7,194 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

before or after the parade and statue?

"Talent is God given. Be humble.
Fame is man-given. Be grateful.
Conceit is self-given. Be careful." - John Wooden

"Stats are like a lamp post.

You can use it to lean on, or, you can be illuminated by it".

-Jim Corsi

#18 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,447 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:17 PM

before or after the parade and statue?

I'm about to start work on the statue, but I gotta demolish my Luke Schenn statue first.   :P 

#19 AlexanderTheGreatJr

AlexanderTheGreatJr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Kessel gets 3 -30 goal seasons in a row the past 3 seasons.

Kadri has been playing great in the 22 games this year.

And Leafs nation is nominateing him for Hart candidate?

I like Kadri alot, he's been in the Leafs organization for 3 years now.

But lets take a few steps back first can we guys.

And hope he becomes an all round player, a team player.

Phil "the thrill" Kessel 

#20 G_O_A_T

G_O_A_T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

You're name is quite fitting, "CrazyCanuck"...  :lol:

No way Kadri is or will be anywhere near the hart trophy.  Try taking a look at Stamkos or Crosby this year, both are playing ridiculously well.

In saying that, looks like he is finally having his 'break out year', I just hope he can continue to keep pace with what he is doing and also continue to develop as a player.

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map