SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Thank you David Clarkson

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 diehardleafsfan9878

diehardleafsfan9878

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Let me start off by saying yes, I know there are a few Clarkson threads right now, but from what I have seen, they seem to all be bashing Clarkson. I also want  to say that the title is not supposed to sound sarcastic, I actually mean that; thank you David Clarkson.

I now want to ask everybody on this board to try and keep this thread as more of the positive Clarkson thread and keep the negativity to the other ones, but if you can't, well I can't stop you from expressing your opinions.

Like this personal opinion for example; for me, David Clarkson has earned every penny of his contract now. No he wasn't brought in to fight and protect people, but when your enforcer is already in the box and nobody else even comes close to the size or physicality of John Scott.

This is another personal opinion, but I would rather be without David Clarkson for 10 games because of a suspension, than be without Phil Kessel indefinitely with a concussion. I mean which would all of you prefer.

I'm not sure if this is all I wanted to say, can't remember, but I will leave it at that for now.

#2 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, ON

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Let me start off by saying yes, I know there are a few Clarkson threads right now, but from what I have seen, they seem to all be bashing Clarkson. I also want  to say that the title is not supposed to sound sarcastic, I actually mean that; thank you David Clarkson.

I now want to ask everybody on this board to try and keep this thread as more of the positive Clarkson thread and keep the negativity to the other ones, but if you can't, well I can't stop you from expressing your opinions.

Like this personal opinion for example; for me, David Clarkson has earned every penny of his contract now. No he wasn't brought in to fight and protect people, but when your enforcer is already in the box and nobody else even comes close to the size or physicality of John Scott.

This is another personal opinion, but I would rather be without David Clarkson for 10 games because of a suspension, than be without Phil Kessel indefinitely with a concussion. I mean which would all of you prefer.

I'm not sure if this is all I wanted to say, can't remember, but I will leave it at that for now.

I applaud Clarkson's motive, but it was ill timed, emotions played a part in it, no doubt.  He arrived at the party a little too late.  Scott was under 3 people by the time Clarkson jumped over the boards, there was no threat to Kessel.  This is the only reason why it was a dumb move.  I am certainly not bashing him, but he clearly wasn't thinking straight at that time.  If Scott has Kessel hold and was tossing him around, then yeah I think the whole Leafs bench should of emptied including Carlyle, :-). Sticking up for your team mates is high on my priority list, just wasn't necessary this time.... he jumped off the bench and literally just stood there or was held on to by the linesman.. unfortunately it served no purpose. And he's gone for 10 games

63 man games lost this season for the Leafs top 3 centers.....

#3 hulka67

hulka67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

I wish Clarkson hadn't left the bench, but understand fully why he did, and respect him for it.

This kind of thing brings a team closer together, look what it did for Detroit when they brawl with the Avs happened....

They won the cup.

I'm not suggesting the Leafs will win the cup but i think the team will be better for it.

As for those bashing Kessel....

I kinda wish he would have cross checked Scott in the throat instead of slash him. Yeah he would get like 5 games, but people would think twice about screwing with him.....

#4 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, ON

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:32 PM

I wish Clarkson hadn't left the bench, but understand fully why he did, and respect him for it.

This kind of thing brings a team closer together, look what it did for Detroit when they brawl with the Avs happened....

They won the cup.

I'm not suggesting the Leafs will win the cup but i think the team will be better for it.

As for those bashing Kessel....

I kinda wish he would have cross checked Scott in the throat instead of slash him. Yeah he would get like 5 games, but people would think twice about screwing with him.....

I think this explains how I feel than my previous post, thanks Hulka, :-)

63 man games lost this season for the Leafs top 3 centers.....

#5 diehardleafsfan9878

diehardleafsfan9878

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

I applaud Clarkson's motive, but it was ill timed, emotions played a part in it, no doubt.  He arrived at the party a little too late.  Scott was under 3 people by the time Clarkson jumped over the boards, there was no threat to Kessel.  This is the only reason why it was a dumb move.  I am certainly not bashing him, but he clearly wasn't thinking straight at that time.  If Scott has Kessel hold and was tossing him around, then yeah I think the whole Leafs bench should of emptied including Carlyle, :-). Sticking up for your team mates is high on my priority list, just wasn't necessary this time.... he jumped off the bench and literally just stood there or was held on to by the linesman.. unfortunately it served no purpose. And he's gone for 10 games

Ya you know I didn't get to see the game, I was playing hockey myself at the time, so all I have to go at is the highlights. But I agree Clarkson did go on late, but I'm not sure if it was his decision, one of the coaching staff COULD have told him to go on, they used to back in the day, so it is possible.

#6 diehardleafsfan9878

diehardleafsfan9878

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:41 PM

Why does it say 0 warning post under my post counter? Does it say that to everyone?

#7 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Die Hard Leafs Fan All the Way!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,755 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:47 PM

Why does it say 0 warning post under my post counter? Does it say that to everyone?

Yes it does dhlf.  Due to some long drawn out insult matches between certain members in the past, some accounts have been 1. suspended and 2. shut down.

0 warning posts is a good thing.

Keep it civil and your cool.

Welcome DieHard!

#8 diehardleafsfan9878

diehardleafsfan9878

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

Yes it does dhlf.  Due to some long drawn out insult matches between certain members in the past, some accounts have been 1. suspended and 2. shut down.

0 warning posts is a good thing.

Keep it civil and your cool.

Welcome DieHard!

Okay thanks Todd but I've been here awhile since the old Leafs Space board, just don't post to frequently.

#9 hullfan

hullfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

So, how many games does Kessel get for the multiple swings of his stick? Very disappointed in him.

#10 Petero1818

Petero1818

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

I think had it been important to the situation I would have supported it. Clarkson came on late. Scott had 3 leafs on top of him, and if you watch the video, I don't believe Clarkson contributed anything to Kessel's safety. Clarkson later sought out Scott and tangled a bit with him, but I think that was done to at least give some meaning to an otherwise ill timed move. Time will tell if this was all worth it. If we can win 6 or 7 of the first 10 games without him, he will be a hero. If we play under 500 the first 10 games, he will be a goat.

#11 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Die Hard Leafs Fan All the Way!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,755 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

Okay thanks Todd but I've been here awhile since the old Leafs Space board, just don't post to frequently.

No probs, I guess you're just noticing the change then.  I've just never seen you on here before, so good to meet you and welcome back is in order then.

#12 blefaryone

blefaryone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

What Clarkson did was a spur of the moment decision and I applaud him for it.

#13 blefaryone

blefaryone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Kadri said he was going over the boards but Lupul pulled him back and then said he tried to grab Clarkson but he was too fast.

#14 paddyo68

paddyo68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Are you kidding me??  Do you really think that one of the coaching staff could have even THOUGHT about telling one of their players to do that?   Come on man, give your head a shake!  Not in today's game dude.

Ya you know I didn't get to see the game, I was playing hockey myself at the time, so all I have to go at is the highlights. But I agree Clarkson did go on late, but I'm not sure if it was his decision, one of the coaching staff COULD have told him to go on, they used to back in the day, so it is possible.

#15 paddyo68

paddyo68

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

I think had it been important to the situation I would have supported it. Clarkson came on late. Scott had 3 leafs on top of him, and if you watch the video, I don't believe Clarkson contributed anything to Kessel's safety. Clarkson later sought out Scott and tangled a bit with him, but I think that was done to at least give some meaning to an otherwise ill timed move. Time will tell if this was all worth it. If we can win 6 or 7 of the first 10 games without him, he will be a hero. If we play under 500 the first 10 games, he will be a goat.

I disagree that Clarkson will either be a hero or a goat for his actions last night.  What I do believe, is that the team will respect and appreciate him all that much more for at least trying to answer back for a team mate in perceived danger.  This team will benefit more in the long run, in terms of becoming a tighter unit, because of Clarkson's actions, as well as a few other team mates who put themselves in danger in an effort to support each other.  Good on you boys!  And Go Leafs!

#16 ToTheMax

ToTheMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

I am sure he got an earful, but overall I applaud him!! I dont care if he gets suspended, he will get min. 2 games most lol, last nights game was epic, I really enjoyed seeing our Leafs and especially Kessel stepping up with some wood!! haha, Bernier fighting, reminded me of Potvin days, Clarkson has this mid set growing up as a Leafs fan just like all us fans, Leafs always had the reputation of being Badass in the last few years I havent seen it except really in Orr just because hes an enforcer, the team we have now have it back and would like to give thanks to Clarkson for that and I am really looking forward to this season!t I havent felt this much excitement for 10 years now, we are going ALL THE WAY!!!

#17 TylerBiggs92

TylerBiggs92

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,544 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

I love hockey.

#18 cheeser123

cheeser123

"Experience" is no match for actually being correct

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Clarkson made a mistake, but he made it for the right reasons.

If Scott had jumped off the bench to attack Kessel, he would get the rule book thrown at him. Because that's the wrong reason to jump the bench for a fight.

Clarkson is going to get the mandatory minimum and a stern talking-to. And the team will hurt on the salary books and the bench with him sitting, but at least he's sitting out for the right reason.

Nobody else sees it. It's just FYI.

Those who can, do, those who can't, teach.

And those who can't teach criticise teachers.

#19 Schennanigans

Schennanigans

Duct tape and crazy glue fix anything but STUPID !!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

When all the excitement calms down the Leafs players will realize that what Clarkson did was foolish unprofessional and will cost the team . The reprocussions are that the cap space just got a whole lot tighter as the Leafs try to fill Clarkson and Kessel's positions since their cap hit still counts when suspended .

Clarkson accomplished little by coming off the bench except to agrivate a situation already out of control . Other teams will take notice of this and know that Clarkson can be drawn inti making stupid moves while the refs will have little sympathy for a team that makes their jobs tougher .

Phill Kessel can expect any suspected slashes to be penalty calls since he has been using his stick quite liberally this season and is now going to be labled an habitual offender .

All in all life is going to be tougher for the Leafs and yes we can thank Clarkson for that .

LOSING IS A HABIT BEST BROKEN BY VICTORY

#20 mapplebeck66

mapplebeck66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationOrangeville Ontario

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

I agree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map