Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Kessel - Seguin Trade Revisited

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 IrishLeaffan

IrishLeaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Picks for a player can turn out one of two ways, either extremely lucrative for the team that got the picks, or extremely poorly. Jared Knight is at least 2 years away from making the NHL and on that Bruins roster he has a lot of competition. Seguin got shipped out of town, which means that pick didn't work for that team. Kessel coming here has been nothing but positives even when he had scoring droughts, but the last couple of years his consistent play and his ability to improve his two way game has made him a vital asset to this organization. What did Seguin do for Boston the last few years? He wasn't exactly a pivotal player for the team, and he was viewed as being lower on the depth chart because of it.

Also, if you want to use that kind of logic, you can also say that the Bruins won the Stanley Cup with Seguin and went to the finals with him too and the Leafs, with Kessel have not won a round of playoffs since he has been here.

I like Kessel but there is no way we won the trade.

#62 Someonestolemyname

Someonestolemyname

Suspension Pending

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Source: http://www.coppernbl...ple-leaf-greats

Ranking Kessel among the all time leaf greats by "era-adjusted points per game". The era adjusting they do, is to simply normalize every year to 3 goals a game average and then adjust the points in that year accordingly. Not the most scientific thing ever, but the results sure are interesting.

Player                 Adj. P/G

Charlie Conacher 1.224

Mats Sundin        1.086

Doug Gilmour       1.056

Syl Apps                   1.031

Phil Kessel             1.003

Busher Jackson      0.995

Darryl Sittler          0.953

Norm Ullman         0.854

Lanny McDonald  0.853

Frank Mahovlich   0.849

Ted Kennedy         0.848

Dave Keon              0.800

Rick Vaive               0.777

Max Bentley          0.723

• AKA: MaxPower417
  • AKA: Someonestolemybrain (Courtesy of LeafsNationCitizen)

#63 cheeser123

cheeser123

"Experience" is no match for actually being correct

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Source: http://www.coppernbl...ple-leaf-greats

Ranking Kessel among the all time leaf greats by "era-adjusted points per game". The era adjusting they do, is to simply normalize every year to 3 goals a game average and then adjust the points in that year accordingly. Not the most scientific thing ever, but the results sure are interesting.

Player                 Adj. P/G

Charlie Conacher 1.224

Mats Sundin        1.086

Doug Gilmour       1.056

Syl Apps                   1.031

Phil Kessel             1.003

Busher Jackson      0.995

Darryl Sittler          0.953

Norm Ullman         0.854

Lanny McDonald  0.853

Frank Mahovlich   0.849

Ted Kennedy         0.848

Dave Keon              0.800

Rick Vaive               0.777

Max Bentley          0.723

Never heard of any of these guys. Kessel sucks. :lol:

Those who can, do, those who can't, teach.

And those who can't teach criticise teachers.

#64 Someonestolemyname

Someonestolemyname

Suspension Pending

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

Never heard of any of these guys. Kessel sucks. :lol:

Can't even put up as many points as a guy named "Syl", what a bum!

• AKA: MaxPower417
  • AKA: Someonestolemybrain (Courtesy of LeafsNationCitizen)

#65 Val_James

Val_James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

guys both teams did well... Seguin is gonna be a superstar, Kessel is.... Boston are gonna look stupid for trading him

#66 loaferoatan

loaferoatan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

"A good trade is where both teams win"- Brian Burke.

#67 Phaneufx03xRulz

Phaneufx03xRulz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

Enough already!!!  Does anyone think that it was Burke's plan to finish 2nd last in the league when we got Kessel on board?  No it sure the hell wasn't. I am so sick of people talking about the Kessel trade like that.  We had no All-Star players on our team then and you do what you got to do to get a player like Kessel.  His biggest mistake was signing the players he did that summer, that's why we finished 2nd last.  If it wasn't for those crap players then we would have finished 20th or so which would have gave Boston a 10-13 selection in the draft and you idiots would never be talking about it today. So if you want something to talk about, talk about the BAD Signings that summer because that's the reason Boston got who they did!

#68 AlexanderTheGreatJr

AlexanderTheGreatJr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I ATGjr should recieve royalties for my unconditional support for Kessel since day 1.

Not my problem anymore - Brian Burke (former President and G.M of the Toronto Maple Leafs)

#69 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,945 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:16 PM

I ATGjr should recieve royalties for my unconditional support for Kessel since day 1.

You should lose them all for supporting Wilson so its a draw. :lol:

#70 hithardandoften

hithardandoften

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

LOL     :huh:  :lol:

#71 murkk

murkk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, ON

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Phil Kessel wasn't traded because the Bruins were unhappy with him. They traded him because they were under a salary cap and needed some assets in return. I think they maximized their assets given the situation. I think we all forget that even though Boston won a cup and has been great, they did so AFTER losing Kessel to a trade and Savard to injury. The Bruins picked Savard over Kessel and probably didn't make the best choice.

---------------------
Check out my blog Leaf Putty

#72 AlexanderTheGreatJr

AlexanderTheGreatJr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:45 PM

And its always the head coach's fault?

Why do i even bother with amateurs?

Not my problem anymore - Brian Burke (former President and G.M of the Toronto Maple Leafs)

#73 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Die Hard Leafs Fan All the Way!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,177 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:11 AM

And its always the head coach's fault?

Why do i even bother with amateurs?

Carlyle's a FAR better coach ATGjr.  Its not even close.

#74 trueleaffan

trueleaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,340 posts
  • LocationWaterloo, ON

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

LOLOL

63 man games lost this season for the Leafs top 3 centers.....

#75 IrishLeaffan

IrishLeaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Enough already!!!  Does anyone think that it was Burke's plan to finish 2nd last in the league when we got Kessel on board?  No it sure the hell wasn't. I am so sick of people talking about the Kessel trade like that.  We had no All-Star players on our team then and you do what you got to do to get a player like Kessel.  His biggest mistake was signing the players he did that summer, that's why we finished 2nd last.  If it wasn't for those crap players then we would have finished 20th or so which would have gave Boston a 10-13 selection in the draft and you idiots would never be talking about it today. So if you want something to talk about, talk about the BAD Signings that summer because that's the reason Boston got who they did!

You miss the point. Almost everyone thought that the Leafs were going to finish near or at the bottom and that is why most of us were saying it was a bad trade. It could have even been worse had the Leafs finished near the bottom for the second 1 rounder (although Hamilton is going to be a great dman).

I like Kessel, but that does not make it a good trade. Burke risked too much of the future with that trade. Even if the trade did work out it would have been a very very risky trade and should never have been done.

#76 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

You miss the point. Almost everyone thought that the Leafs were going to finish near or at the bottom and that is why most of us were saying it was a bad trade. It could have even been worse had the Leafs finished near the bottom for the second 1 rounder (although Hamilton is going to be a great dman).

I like Kessel, but that does not make it a good trade. Burke risked too much of the future with that trade. Even if the trade did work out it would have been a very very risky trade and should never have been done.

I would trade Dallas Kessel for Seguin straight up right now, but I remember that year alot differently than you do.

I recall most media and fans having the Leafs just out of the playoffs that year, so it looked really good for us.

That said, it was Burkes job to know better than the media and fans.

Yes Toskala was a bad goalie, but he took it to another level that year, handing the Bruins a fantastic prize.

#77 IrishLeaffan

IrishLeaffan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

I would trade Dallas Kessel for Seguin straight up right now, but I remember that year alot differently than you do.

I recall most media and fans having the Leafs just out of the playoffs that year, so it looked really good for us.

That said, it was Burkes job to know better than the media and fans.

Yes Toskala was a bad goalie, but he took it to another level that year, handing the Bruins a fantastic prize.

Ask anyone on the board back then and I, and many others, were very vocal that the Leafs were not as good as Burke thought. Also, a lot of the media thought so too. I think that the Toronto media might have been putting the Leafs a lot better that the rest of the hockey media.

You are right, Burke should have known the team he had. He thought too much of Wilson and Toskala!

#78 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:42 PM

Ask anyone on the board back then and I, and many others, were very vocal that the Leafs were not as good as Burke thought. Also, a lot of the media thought so too. I think that the Toronto media might have been putting the Leafs a lot better that the rest of the hockey media.

You are right, Burke should have known the team he had. He thought too much of Wilson and Toskala!

I find Toronto media to be the hardest on the Leafs over other outlets TBH.

The Leafs had enough vets on the team to be a bubble team if Toskala had simply played OK by his standards... That was his worst ever showing, and his ticket out of the NHL.

#79 jamason

jamason

GM of the TMLEFT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

If the Leafs were a good team that year, then trading draft picks for a good established player with the ability to be the 'last piece of the puzzle' to make them contenders, is a good idea.  Especially since, in that situation, the draft picks would have been fairly low.

If the Leafs were a mediocre team in the early rebuilding stages, trading multiple (potentially) high draft picks for a good player who would be without the appropriate support, is a poor idea.

The most significant aspect of the trade was that Burke thought we were in the former situation, whereas we were really in the latter.

As opposed to 'good' or 'bad', I think the trade was mainly at the wrong time in our rebuild.

Now, with a better coach, better goaltending, and much better defence, would it be a good idea to trade a couple of picks for a gifted forward?  Say, the 'true FLC' that so many people talk about?  Of course!

#80 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,143 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

If the Leafs were a good team that year, then trading draft picks for a good established player with the ability to be the 'last piece of the puzzle' to make them contenders, is a good idea.  Especially since, in that situation, the draft picks would have been fairly low.

If the Leafs were a mediocre team in the early rebuilding stages, trading multiple (potentially) high draft picks for a good player who would be without the appropriate support, is a poor idea.

The most significant aspect of the trade was that Burke thought we were in the former situation, whereas we were really in the latter.

As opposed to 'good' or 'bad', I think the trade was mainly at the wrong time in our rebuild.

Now, with a better coach, better goaltending, and much better defence, would it be a good idea to trade a couple of picks for a gifted forward?  Say, the 'true FLC' that so many people talk about?  Of course!

I agree with that point of view if Kessel was in his 30's at the time... as it was, Kessel was the age of most young prospects that had not made the NHL yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map