Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

TML Possible Replacement Head Coach - Mike Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Die Hard Leafs Fan All the Way!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Current assistant coach for last year's Stanley Cup winning Blackhawks and former 3 year head coach of the St.Louis Blues, Mike Kitchen!

This here, is a winner folks.

#2 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

He was our assistant for us in the Gilmour/Clark era and now a Stanley Cup winning team.  I say we give him a shot.

I know his record isn't exactly stellar, but he has great experience and is part of the current management makeup of the Blackhawks huge success.

I think this could be his time to emerge as a successful head coach for the Leafs.

#3 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Then, he can name Gilmour as his assistant coach. B)

#4 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

lol @ anyone saying the Leafs should fire Carlyle right now. A guy who has had barely a season as head coach of this team and people are already calling for his head because the team has lost a few games in a row. By all your failure logic, Wilson should have been fired half way through his first season as coach because this team was playing poorly then too. Grow the bleep up!

#5 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:47 PM

lol @ anyone saying the Leafs should fire Carlyle right now. A guy who has had barely a season as head coach of this team and people are already calling for his head because the team has lost a few games in a row. By all your failure logic, Wilson should have been fired half way through his first season as coach because this team was playing poorly then too. Grow the bleep up!

This was actually meant to be fun for all the armchair GM's in here.  You take things too seriously...

#6 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,316 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

This was actually meant to be fun for all the armchair GM's in here.  You take things too seriously...

Never Grow up Todd... My wife says I will perpetually be 16 for the rest of my life... and there is no better way to be! :D

#7 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Never Grow up Todd... My wife says I will perpetually be 16 for the rest of my life... and there is no better way to be! :D

I'm with ya there HD!  Although seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing Pat Burns' assistant coach behind our bench again, along with one of his star players! ;)

#8 beerbelly

beerbelly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • LocationBelleville

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

:) I'm so happy that Randy has such a great sense of humour :rolleyes:

#9 slyro

slyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

He was around for along time, but he too faltered when he got his chance with St. Louis. He was almost as long serving an assistant coach as Keith Acton was.

Maybe we should give RC until the trade deadline to see what a few tweeks may do for this team. We also don't have to change coaches to enact a new philosophy as far as our own end goes. We need to be more mobile and cover their point men much closer than we have been.

I also don't see why Orr and McClaren are not hitting and contributing. It is like they have this idea that they are only there for fighting, get them hitting and making the other team think twice when they have their heads down a bit. We need to get tougher in the area of hitting cleanly, this whole team could stand to use their bodies instead of the stick first, every time we touch the other team in the lower leg and they fall, we are going to get called for it. Sure, we are the victims of some poor officiating but we are also making it easy for the refs, if we just kept both hands on the stick, we wouldn't keep getting these tripping calls.

We have to get back to the basics, like when RC first came here. Simplify and execute the short pass, we also should be attacking up the middle a little instead of being along the boards so much, we are way too easily pushed to the outside and play the perimeter way too much. Mixing it up may make us less predictable and harder to defend against,

A stay at home, big, tough d'man, who is mobile for his size may be a wise decision. We fix our own end play and maybe the offense would come along fine, faster outlet passes, and a more co-ordinated attack. More secondary support. Too many times we try the one on two, we need more odd man rushes, we have the speed to accomplish this. I don't think Carlyle is a one trick pony, maybe he will adjust his strategy to fit this team a little better and we take off, I hope so, this whole board agreed he was the right coach last year, at least he should have a whole season to work with, not just parts of seasons, which is all he has had so far.

#10 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

He was around for along time, but he too faltered when he got his chance with St. Louis. He was almost as long serving an assistant coach as Keith Acton was.

Maybe we should give RC until the trade deadline to see what a few tweeks may do for this team. We also don't have to change coaches to enact a new philosophy as far as our own end goes. We need to be more mobile and cover their point men much closer than we have been.

I also don't see why Orr and McClaren are not hitting and contributing. It is like they have this idea that they are only there for fighting, get them hitting and making the other team think twice when they have their heads down a bit. We need to get tougher in the area of hitting cleanly, this whole team could stand to use their bodies instead of the stick first, every time we touch the other team in the lower leg and they fall, we are going to get called for it. Sure, we are the victims of some poor officiating but we are also making it easy for the refs, if we just kept both hands on the stick, we wouldn't keep getting these tripping calls.

We have to get back to the basics, like when RC first came here. Simplify and execute the short pass, we also should be attacking up the middle a little instead of being along the boards so much, we are way too easily pushed to the outside and play the perimeter way too much. Mixing it up may make us less predictable and harder to defend against,

A stay at home, big, tough d'man, who is mobile for his size may be a wise decision. We fix our own end play and maybe the offense would come along fine, faster outlet passes, and a more co-ordinated attack. More secondary support. Too many times we try the one on two, we need more odd man rushes, we have the speed to accomplish this. I don't think Carlyle is a one trick pony, maybe he will adjust his strategy to fit this team a little better and we take off, I hope so, this whole board agreed he was the right coach last year, at least he should have a whole season to work with, not just parts of seasons, which is all he has had so far.

Funny thing is that he faltered then in much the same way it seems as Carlyle is faltering now.  He has since learned a winning system in TODAY'S NHL!

#11 slyro

slyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

Todd gives us his time for game day threads and just because you don't agree with him you attack him personally. Stating your reasons why you disagree might be more constructive than telling someone to grow up, indicating they are infantile. You're better than that IMO, at least state why you disagree so it can be discussed.

#12 slyro

slyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Funny thing is that he faltered then in much the same way it seems as Carlyle is faltering now.  He has since learned a winning system in TODAY'S NHL!

Yes, he has, I just think we should allow RC a little more time, I could be wrong, just my opinion, and nothing personal. Maybe Carlyle will figure it out as MK did, and we will have given him that chance. A change in how we manage our own end may just fix this thing, it would be nice and RC should be given a few more tools to fix this before cutting him lose. I think he may have lost the room, but even so, you can't let the players decide these things, I am just saying he should be given time to grow, and perhaps make some adjustments to his system, as well as having a healthy team for more time than he has had thus far.

#13 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Yes, he has, I just think we should allow a little more time, I could be wrong, just my opinion, and nothing personal.

I don't like how Kessel abruptly left the ice at practice today Sly, something's fishy...

SOMETHINGS_3a8ea7_83815.jpg

#14 slyro

slyro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

I agree Todd, things are starting to boil over, not just with how we all treat each other, but with the team, these guys, while they make copious amounts of $, still hate to lose. I`m sure RC would prefer winning, I just hope it can be done without making such big changes. It`s time for this team to come together, because if they start tearing their coaches and team mates apart, it takes us so much further backwards than forward. Fix our play and system of that play if necessary in our own end and we just look back on this as a blip, if not, so be it, but at least we could say the team explored all options. Cheers

#15 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,704 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Lost a few in a row......they have 3 wins in the last 13 games

#16 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Lost a few in a row......they have 3 wins in the last 13 games

And one HELL of a month to get through! ;)

#17 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,316 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

I don't like how Kessel abruptly left the ice at practice today Sly, something's fishy...

SOMETHINGS_3a8ea7_83815.jpg

LOL! great pic!

If the other half of your double meaning is that you think a trade is in the works... perhaps it Kessel for Seguin! :wub:

My fantasy (fair payment) 2 trades would be Kessel for Seguin and Gards and Riemer for Eberle

#18 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Considering the talent level on the Blackhawks versus the Leafs, a "winning system" is a pretty invalid reason for replacing one coach with another when you don't have those types of players to make the system work.

#19 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

LOL! great pic!

If the other half of your double meaning is that you think a trade is in the works... perhaps it Kessel for Seguin! :wub:

My fantasy (fair payment) 2 trades would be Kessel for Seguin and Gards and Riemer for Eberle

I certainly agree with you on your first trade if it were possible! I made a trade proposal for Seguin in the trade talk section.

I'm not sure which goalie I'd trade now though???

#20 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,166 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

Considering the talent level on the Blackhawks versus the Leafs, a "winning system" is a pretty invalid reason for replacing one coach with another when you don't have those types of players to make the system work.

I'd rather change the coach then the core and it couldn't to see if Kitchen is ready to give it a second go as an NHL coach and see if he can make a splash.

I'm sure he'd be pretty motivated and he and the Leafs have history (my favourite part of Leafs history since I've been alive).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map