Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

2014 Sochi Canadian Men's Hockey Thread

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#1 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

Die Hard Leafs Fan All the Way!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

image.jpg

team_canada640_.jpg

Canadian Mens Roster:

Forwards:

Jamie Benn

Patrice Bergeron

Jeff Carter

Sidney Crosby

Matt Duchene

Ryan Getzlaf

Chris Kunitz

Patrick Marleau

Rick Nash

Corey Perry

Patrick Sharp

Martin St. Louis

John Tavares

Jonathan Toews

Defense:

Jay Bouwmeester

Drew Doughty

Dan Hamhuis

Duncan Keith

Alex Pietrangelo

PK Subban

Marc-Édouard Vlasic

Shea Weber

Goaltenders:

Roberto Luongo

Carey Price

Mike Smith

gocanada-banner-1a.jpg

#2 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

Snider rips NHLers going to the Olympics because he doesn't think they should shutdown the league for 2 weeks.. Rips Yzerman for

not taking Giroux over St. Louis.. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443215

Thoughts?

I think it's great exposure for the League to play in the Olympics.. no better world wide audience for a league struggling with attendance in certain areas.

I feel bad for Giroux but I think the beginning of the season hurt him.    Who is your Team Canada 2 roster?? :)

#3 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Snider rips NHLers going to the Olympics because he doesn't think they should shutdown the league for 2 weeks.. Rips Yzerman for

Thoughts?

I think it's great exposure for the League to play in the Olympics.. no better world wide audience for a league struggling with attendance in certain areas.

I feel bad for Giroux but I think the beginning of the season hurt him.    Who is your Team Canada 2 roster?? :)

Actually I'm pretty happy with the team chosen.  Not having Seguin is my only question mark.

I'd prefer to speculate on who you think would be Olympic material in 4 years time.  That could be lots of fun. ;)

#4 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 05:28 PM

Canada has not performed well historically on International sized ice surfaces.  However THIS year we have a team built fot it, I'm pretty sure!

GO CANADA GO!!!

#5 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,612 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Canada has not performed well historically on International sized ice surfaces.  However THIS year we have a team built fot it, I'm pretty sure!

GO CANADA GO!!!

Agreed... plenty of mobility and speed on this team.

#6 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Lots of centers there so who plays what?

I think the 4 main centers will be:

Crosby

Getzlaf

Tavares

Bergeron

What do you think?

#7 LeafsNationCitizen

LeafsNationCitizen

A Proud Canadian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hey guys. Great thread and I hope it gains some traction. It would be nice if we had a link directing us to this from the main Maple Leafs page. I think we would get a lot more traffic if it was easier to find and got some more exposure.

Maybe the Mods could suggest something

I'm very happy that the NHL players are participating in the Olympics. That's because I want to see our best players kick their best players butts. No excuses for anyone. IF it was amateurs quite frankly I wouldn't skip a Leaf game to watch "Team Canada"

I would have preferred GIROUX over St Louis but I'm hoping MSL takes a big role and shows me that he was the "right guy"

I am totally jacked for this and only hope our guys can jell and get the job done on the big ice. Oh and for my money Price should be getting the starts not Lou

We are convinced that analytics at the end of the day will be key to getting this team back on track. But that said they will never ever replace our ability to determine one’s character and passion for the game of hockey. You have to be good at both, not just one."

Tim J. LEIWEKE

President and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Sept/2014

#8 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hey guys. Great thread and I hope it gains some traction. It would be nice if we had a link directing us to this from the main Maple Leafs page. I think we would get a lot more traffic if it was easier to find and got some more exposure.

I'm very happy that the NHL players are participating in the Olympics. That's because I want to see our best players kick their best players butts. No excuses for anyone. IF it was amateurs quite frankly I wouldn't skip a Leaf game to watch "Team Canada"

I would have preferred GIROUX over St Louis but I'm hoping MSL takes a big role and shows me that he was the "right guy"

I am totally jacked for this and only hope our guys can jell and get the job done on the big ice. Oh and for my money Price should be getting the starts not Lou

It's hard to leave last years Art Ross trophy winner off the roster IMO...

#9 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

GO CANADA GO!!!

The problem isn't just speed  though.. I imagine angles have a pretty big part in it too....   Players can come on you wider.   Interesting this year, they hired a coach from the European leagues to help out.. I think that was a great move..

#10 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

It's hard to leave last years Art Ross trophy winner off the roster IMO...

Yes, leaving Giroux off the roster was certainly a difficult decision, but I think MSL was the guy for the job.  He can absolutely fly, which is important on the big ice.

#11 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

The problem isn't just speed  though.. I imagine angles have a pretty big part in it too....   Players can come on you wider.   Interesting this year, they hired a coach from the European leagues to help out.. I think that was a great move..

Agreed, angles will play a huge factor and that European coach will prove to be a great decision on the technical end.

#12 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Okay I'll bite...  

Actually I'm pretty happy with the team chosen.  Not having Seguin is my only question mark.

I'd prefer to speculate on who you think would be Olympic material in 4 years time.  That could be lots of fun. ;)

Forwards:

Jamie Benn

Patrice Bergeron

Sidney Crosby

Matt Duchene

Ryan Getzlaf

Corey Perry

John Tavares

Jonathan Toews

Steve Stamkos

Tyler Seguin

Jordan Eberle

Claude Giroux

Logan Couture

Nathan MacKinnon

On the bubble (Connor McDavid, Ryan O'Reilly, Nazem Kadri, Evander Kane, Taylor Hall..)

Defense:

Drew Doughty

Duncan Keith

Alex Pietrangelo

PK Subban

Morgan Reilly

Shea Weber

Dougie Hamilton

Reinhart

Goaltenders:

Carey Price

Jonathan Bernier

Brayden Holtby

#13 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

Okay I'll bite...  

Forwards:

Jamie Benn

Patrice Bergeron

Sidney Crosby

Matt Duchene

Ryan Getzlaf

Corey Perry

John Tavares

Jonathan Toews

Steve Stamkos

Tyler Seguin

Jordan Eberle

Claude Giroux

Logan Couture

Nathan MacKinnon

On the bubble (Connor McDavid, Ryan O'Reilly, Nazem Kadri, Evander Kane, Taylor Hall..)

Defense:

Drew Doughty

Duncan Keith

Alex Pietrangelo

PK Subban

Morgan Reilly

Shea Weber

Dougie Hamilton

Reinhart

Goaltenders:

Carey Price

Jonathan Bernier

Brayden Holtby

I like that Map.  Although RNH may factor in as well.  Depending on how Gardiner's game develops, he could factor in as well on the point.

#14 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I like that Map.  Although RNH may factor in as well.  Depending on how Gardiner's game develops, he could factor in as well on the point.

Gardiner is American :)

Yeah I could see RNH in there...  I'm also going on the basis that the Canadian program doesn't tend to send people under the age of 24...  Reinhart is probably not going to make it given his age.. but could be interesting..

#15 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Gardiner is American :)

Yeah I could see RNH in there...  I'm also going on the basis that the Canadian program doesn't tend to send people under the age of 24...  Reinhart is probably not going to make it given his age.. but could be interesting..

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  So, yeah, he could factor into the Olympics in 4 years... for the States.

#16 bradduncan

bradduncan

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

Thoughts?

I like how they go to the Olympics, it is good for the league, good advertising

As for his comments about how Giroux should be there, I had him on the team over Marleau or Carter, but I don't think he would be a huge factor there anyways, I also had Stlouis there from the start. I would of had E.Staal there as well .Other changes I would have entertained, that are more controversial would be Beiska and Lucic in, I am also not huge on Bergeron or Kunitz, but I knew they would be there

Keep your feet moving

Truculence, pugnacity, belligerence and testosterone

#17 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,247 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

Agreed... plenty of mobility and speed on this team.

Even though he's coming off a loss, I think Luongo will get the first game over Price.

#18 TmlStan

TmlStan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • LocationMississauga

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:58 AM

Would of liked Giroux there aswell.

#19 TMLDieHard77

TMLDieHard77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 10 February 2014 - 01:49 AM

Thoughts?

I agree. Playing in the Olympics is great exposure for the league and the players themselves. 

I could see that the 2 week break might slow down some momentum. There's some legitimate worry there. 

Still waiting for the Stanley Cup to come home to Toronto...

Show your support with this Limited Edition tee, grab yours by clicking here.

front.jpg

#20 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Here are the lines from practice today.  What do you think?  http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=443494

FORWARDS

Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby - Jeff Carter
Patrick Sharp - Jonathan Toews - Rick Nash
Patrick Marleau - Ryan Getzlaf - Corey Perry
Jamie Benn - John Tavares - Patrice Bergeron
(Martin St. LouisMatt Duchene)

DEFENCE

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Jay Bouwmeester - Alex Pietrangelo
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Drew Doughty
(P.K. SubbanDan Hamhuis)

I'm not a huge fan... the D pairings look solid, but I'm surprised Marty isn't playing with Crosby.  I think those two would be dynamite together.  I think I'd go with Getzlaf, Perry and Tavares.. that line would be dynamite.... And maybe Benn Duchesne and Marleau.  Put Bergeron out there for faceoffs PKs.. etc....  thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map