Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Stanley Cup or Bust?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 rampantone1

rampantone1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

What say you Leaf fans. We make a run and grab Legwand? Joe Thor would be preferable.

#2 leafer22

leafer22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

*facepalm* This team is good but not elite. Give it a few more years for players to develop then we can have this discussion.

#3 Kr0ni

Kr0ni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 09 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Only move I'd like to see the Leafs make is creating a useful 4th line that can play 7-8 mins a night. The beauty of it is, it requires no outside transactions to take place. 

Twitter - @kRoNPeRs

#4 Dwolf

Dwolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • LocationKelowna, BC

Posted 09 February 2014 - 03:13 PM

We can certainly make a move IF its a move that works as well for the longer term as it does for the short term - ie a move that improves team balance and addresses ongoing needs.

We don't need to make a move if it's "only" for this year's playoffs.

If the opportunity came up to say send a pick, a prospect, and a salary dump to a team in return for a good young abrasive defensive d-man in the 24 to 25 age range, would I do it? In a heartbeat. That would be a piece that would help the team over the correct window to build a contender. The odds of such a deal coming up? 

I dunno.... probably abysmal.

#5 bradduncan

bradduncan

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

What a title :wacko:

hah, you kill me LOL

Keep your feet moving

Truculence, pugnacity, belligerence and testosterone

#6 bradduncan

bradduncan

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

I think if you were to divide the eastern conference into four classes it would look something like this:

Boston, Pittsburgh

Tampa (I didn't pick them for the start of the year but they are high in the standings) Washington, Montreal, Toronto

Rangers, Detroit, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Columbus

Islanders, Buffalo, Florida, Jersey, Carolina

I think the Leafs are as good as any team in the east accept Pittsburgh and Boston, I think some people underestimate this team, I would call them higher than a bubble team, to me the third tear there is a bubble team, and I know I put Washington a little higher then there standing represents, but I think they have a very good team

Keep your feet moving

#7 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

TMLEFT - First Line Centre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,449 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 09 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

No, as much as I wish it was, this is not our year.

That's not to say we shouldn't give it our all, but it's foolish to start selling off assets to win when a lot of our top players aren't fully developed yet.

Give Rielly, Gardiner and Kadri maybe 2 years to really enter their prime and then we can talk about "Stanley Cup or Bust"

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#8 LakeshoreLEAFSFan

LakeshoreLEAFSFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationMIMICO

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Well, Toronto Maple Leafs have just as much chance of going to and winning the Stanley Cup as any of the other teams in the NHL. And there's no reason why we can't. Saying that though, I too don't think this is the year for us, but not because we don't have a chance. But, I do see us, and expect us, to be in the Stanley Cup Finals, whether we win it or not, before this decade is over, just like I see, and expect the Toronto Raptors in the NBA championship before this decade is over. Why? because I believe Tim Leiweke, Dave Nonis, and Masai Ujiri when they say they are serious in making Toronto's sports teams champions. Tim Leiweke says MLSE is a new type of organization now, where the bottom line isn't the only thing that matters anymore. And until proven otherwise, there's no reason not to believe him. Look what he did last month with TFC. And look at his record when he was in Los Angeles. Anyway, I see the Maple Leafs making the playoffs this year, but I don't see them going all the way to the Finals. But I would hope, and won't mind being, and would like to be, proven wrong

#9 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

I think if you were to divide the eastern conference into four classes it would look something like this:

Boston, Pittsburgh

Tampa (I didn't pick them for the start of the year but they are high in the standings) Washington, Montreal, Toronto

Rangers, Detroit, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Columbus

Islanders, Buffalo, Florida, Jersey, Carolina

I think the Leafs are as good as any team in the east accept Pittsburgh and Boston, I think some people underestimate this team, I would call them higher than a bubble team, to me the third tear there is a bubble team, and I know I put Washington a little higher then there standing represents, but I think they have a very good team

Tampa Bay is starting to slip though, they are 5-5-0 in their last 10 and have been having some trouble the last little while. Some teams in playoff positions have been trending down lately, Montreal and Tampa Bay most notably while Toronto, Pittsburgh and Boston have all been playing well. The Rangers have the worst home record of any playoff team right now too, but they have been good on the road.

#10 Artie_Gee

Artie_Gee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts
  • LocationLake Cowichan

Posted 09 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

Well, Toronto Maple Leafs have just as much chance of going to and winning the Stanley Cup as any of the other teams in the NHL. And there's no reason why we can't. Saying that though, I too don't think this is the year for us, but not because we don't have a chance. But, I do see us, and expect us, to be in the Stanley Cup Finals, whether we win it or not, before this decade is over, just like I see, and expect the Toronto Raptors in the NBA championship before this decade is over. Why? because I believe Tim Leiweke, Dave Nonis, and Masai Ujiri when they say they are serious in making Toronto's sports teams champions. Tim Leiweke says MLSE is a new type of organization now, where the bottom line isn't the only thing that matters anymore. And until proven otherwise, there's no reason not to believe him. Look what he did last month with TFC. And look at his record when he was in Los Angeles. Anyway, I see the Maple Leafs making the playoffs this year, but I don't see them going all the way to the Finals. But I would hope, and won't mind being, and would like to be, proven wrong

I'm sure we'll make the playoffs but I don't see us going deep.

#11 PuckMartin

PuckMartin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:54 PM

Not ready for a cup run, but far from a bust. there seems to be a number of teams in the same boat though...

Opinion:

• a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.
  • a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Opinion is like a pendulum and obeys the same law. If it goes past the center of gravity on one side, it must go a like distance on the other —Arthur Schopenhauer

#12 CrazyCanuckEh

CrazyCanuckEh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:15 AM

Not ready for a cup run, but far from a bust. there seems to be a number of teams in the same boat though...

I'd say the Leafs are probably one of only 4 teams in the East that could make it to the conference finals. Montreal suffers much of the same problems we have, lack of experience and consistency in key positions, especially on defense. Boston is probably the most complete team in the East and will no doubt be the conference finalists again, while like usual, Pittsburgh tends to have far too many defensive lapses.

#13 bradduncan

bradduncan

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

Tampa Bay is starting to slip though, they are 5-5-0 in their last 10 and have been having some trouble the last little while. Some teams in playoff positions have been trending down lately, Montreal and Tampa Bay most notably while Toronto, Pittsburgh and Boston have all been playing well. The Rangers have the worst home record of any playoff team right now too, but they have been good on the road.

When Tampa gets Stamkos back though I think that will be a huge boost, I always seem to think Montreal is over rated but then they end up shutting me up

Keep your feet moving

#14 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

This team is only a few players from contending this year. The Leafs need to make Gunnarsson a #6 D-man and stop playing him as a #2 only because Dion is comfortable with him as a partner. Phaneuf is wasted having to compensate for Carl.
They need a rock solid 4th liner ala Thornton, Neil.
The Leafs also need to have Ranger and Franson show up more consistantly.
Bolland returning to form after the Olympics will provide options.
The West coast teams will destroy each other physically. Teams like the Blue Jackets, Rangers and Philly can cause damage as well. The Leafs need to finish 2nd in the Atlantic. They would likely face Montreal or Tampa who they can beat. Boston would have to contend with a wild card. I would not want to face the Blue Jackets. They are a solid team.
The playoffs is a war of attrition. The Cup winner will come from the East this year because the West is going to be a bloodbath.

#15 jamason

jamason

GM of the TMLEFT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

This team is only a few players from contending this year. The Leafs need to make Gunnarsson a #6 D-man and stop playing him as a #2 only because Dion is comfortable with him as a partner. Phaneuf is wasted having to compensate for Carl.
They need a rock solid 4th liner ala Thornton, Neil.
The Leafs also need to have Ranger and Franson show up more consistantly.
Bolland returning to form after the Olympics will provide options.
The West coast teams will destroy each other physically. Teams like the Blue Jackets, Rangers and Philly can cause damage as well. The Leafs need to finish 2nd in the Atlantic. They would likely face Montreal or Tampa who they can beat. Boston would have to contend with a wild card. I would not want to face the Blue Jackets. They are a solid team.
The playoffs is a war of attrition. The Cup winner will come from the East this year because the West is going to be a bloodbath.

You really have to figure out what your problem with Gunnarsson is.  You obviously have something personal against him.

He's partnered with Phaneuf because he is better than anyone else that Phaneuf has even played with, at complimenting his play.

The bottom line is that he makes Phaneuf better.

He'd be at worst a second pairing defenceman on just about any team in the NHL.

#16 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:11 PM

You really have to figure out what your problem with Gunnarsson is.  You obviously have something personal against him.

He's partnered with Phaneuf because he is better than anyone else that Phaneuf has even played with, at complimenting his play.

I think Gunnarsson stole his girlfriend..

#17 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Either that or Paul Ranger has an account on here and is looking for top D minutes :)

#18 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

I was at the supermarket 3 months ago. I went for the last jar of pickled herring. Gunnarsson grabbed it out of my hand. I was devastated. I vowed to make his life miserable for it!

#19 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Either that or Paul Ranger has an account on here and is looking for top D minutes :)

Let me ask you a quest. You must answer honestly.
If the Leafs had this years current roster including Bolland in game 7 last year. Who is on the ice at the end of that game?

#20 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,579 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

Let me ask you a quest. You must answer honestly.
If the Leafs had this years current roster including Bolland in game 7 last year. Who is on the ice at the end of that game?

I think if Bolland is playing this team doesn't collapse..  But to Answer your Question:  Probably Mcclement, Bolland and Kulemin with Phaneuf and Gunnarsson..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map