Sign in with your NHL account:
  • Submit
  • Or
  • Sign in with Google

MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

*** CANADA VS. FINLAND - GAME THREAD *** Sunday February 16th, 2014, 12:00PM - CBC

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

More than a fan, a True BeLeafer!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationEastern Ontario

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:27 AM

image.jpg

image.jpg

hockey_canada_logo_small5.png   VS Finland_national_men%27s_ice_hockey_team

Sunday February 16th, 2014, 12:00PM - CBC

GAME PREVIEW

CANADA, FINLAND CLASH FOR FIRST IN GROUP B ON

SUNDAY

TSN.CA STAFF

2/15/2014 11:40:06 PM

First place in Group B is on the line as Finland and Canada wrap up preliminary round play at the 2014 Winter Olympics on Sunday.

Listen to the game live on TSN Radio Montreal 690, Toronto 1050 or Winnipeg 1290 starting at 11:30am et/10:30am ct.

Coach Mike Babcock already confirmed on Friday that Patrick Sharp andDan Hamhuis, benched in favour of Matt Duchene and P.K. Subban for Friday's game against Austria, would return to the line-up against Finland. Babcock did not indicate who would sit in their place.

Babcock is also yet to reveal which goaltender – Roberto Luongo orCarey Price – will get the start in net against Finland.

But the Finns are hurting. The team confirmed on Saturday that centreAleksander Barkov would be out for the remainder of the tournament with a lower-body injury. The team is already without Mikko Koivu andValtteri Filppula.

Should Canada win in regulation they will be guaranteed the top seed in the playoff round. The 12 participating nations will be re-seeded after the preliminary round with the top four seeds (the three group winners and the second-place team with the most points) receiving byes to the quarter-finals.

Either Canada or Finland can secure the number one spot with a regulation win. Sweden won Group C with a perfect 3-0 record, but with a goal-differential of five they would finish behind either team in that scenario.

Finland enters the game with a goal-differential of nine, while Canada enters with eight more goals than they have conceded.

The ageless wonder, 42-year-old Teemu Selanne, will once again be thrust into a leading role for the Finnish offence. Since the NHL began participating in the Winter Olympics with Nagano in 1998, no player has more goals at the Games than Selanne's 15.

Jeff Carter's second-period hat trick on Friday made him the first Canadian to score an Olympic hat trick in one period since Paul Knox in 1956 while Patrick Marleau leads Canada in scoring with four points, all assists.

There is a scenario in which both Canada and Finland could receive byes to the quarter-finals, but for that to happen Thursday's game would need to go to overtime and Russia would need to beat Slovakia by an insignificant margin (at least five goals in the event of a Canadian overtime/shootout loss and at least six to catch Finland in the reverse scenario).

gocanada-banner-1a.jpg

Kadri our future Gilmour!  In training and a work in progress of course. ;)

And Komarov is our future Clark. :wub:

#2 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

Team Canada coach Babcock agonizes over lineup decisions for game vs. Finland

Stephen Whyno, The Canadian Press 

Published Saturday, February 15, 2014

SOCHI, Russia -- Team Canada executive director Steve Yzerman hasn't been surprised by his team's play so far at the Sochi Olympics. Coach Mike Babcock, on the other hand, says "lots of guys are different" than he expected.

While Yzerman had months to scout and piece together the 25-man roster, Babcock has less than 48 hours from the end of Canada's victory over Austria to decide on his lineup for Sunday's game against Finland -- Canada's biggest challenge so far.

Babcock has the luxury of having some of the best talent in the world at his disposal and the burden of telling two skaters they won't suit up and one goalie he won't start in net.

"Believe me, these decisions aren't easy," Babcock said. "The great thing about it, we don't have to make a decision yet, we can just talk about it, kick it around. We spoke last night, Steve and I spoke this morning, I spoke to the coaching staff already here today. We'll kick it around all day."It was clear early Saturday afternoon when Babcock told reporters he was agonizing over those decisions as his players enjoyed a day off.

Eventually decisions must be made. Canada plays banged-up Finland at 9 p.m. local time Sunday, and the winner is guaranteed a bye into the quarter-finals for finishing atop Group B.

What Babcock has already confirmed is that forward Patrick Sharp and defenceman Dan Hamhuis, scratched against Austria, will be back in the lineup. It's very likely that P.K. Subban will come out, but there's no easy candidate to remove up front.

"Lots goes into it," Babcock said. "Who's going to be on the power play and on the penalty kill, who's playing the best down the middle, who can support that person, who's playing better than we thought, who's not quite as good as we thought. All those things go into play."

Canada's most controversial forward choice is also the player who hasn't been as good as most thought. Here because of his natural chemistry with Pittsburgh Penguins teammate Sidney Crosby, Chris Kunitz has been ineffective at best and lost at worst.

Though Crosby has only one point in two games -- a secondary assist -- Babcock was complimentary of the play of the first line, which has featured Kunitz on left wing, Canada's captain in the middle and Jeff Carter and Martin St. Louis on the right.

"The first line in the last two games has generated a ton of scoring chances, point-blankers," Babcock said. "They haven't gone in. So do we worry that much about that, or do we just know good players score in the end?"

The biggest question is: Can Kunitz be a good enough player at this level? The veteran, whose Olympic candidacy generated months of debate, is in a unique position that he's likely either Crosby's left-winger or out of the lineup entirely.

Babcock isn't saying one way or the other.

"I've got lots of plans," he said. "The day is young. I haven't been to curling yet. I haven't been to the Russian game. We'll see what happens."

Even more difficult than the decision to keep Kunitz in a prominent spot or drop him is the notion of who would replace him. Babcock has already tried two wingers on Crosby's right, and putting even a one-game stop on the Kunitz experiment would mean having to spin the wheel to find someone on the left.

Whether it's Matt Duchene or Jamie Benn or perhaps even John Tavares, it's a gamble with no guarantees. But given the strong play down the lineup, it's a bit like a game of Jenga in that removing one piece could cause Canada's whole structure to collapse.

"I'm not worried about one line. I'm worried about all the lines," Babcock said. "To steal from one to make another one ... one's going really good, and you're going to wreck that."

There's already going to be some juggling given that Sharp is returning. Benn and Carter were arguably the best player in each of the first two games, doing so with the least ice time of any forward, but there's no telling if that'll mean more substantial roles or sticking to the same ones that led to success.

"We talked about who can play with who, (what we can do) to make a better line, who has been your best players -- they're not necessarily who you thought they'd be and that kind of stuff -- you talk about everything," assistant coach Claude Julien said.

Even if the decisions are easy on defence -- keeping Duncan Keith with Shea Weber, Marc-Edouard Vlasic with Drew Doughty and then Jay Bouwmeester with Alex Pietrangelo -- Babcock has a crucial 50/50 choice to make in goal.

Carey Price made 19 saves on 20 shots against Norway, the only goal allowed coming after he made a puck-handling blunder, and Roberto Luongo had a 23-save shutout to beat Austria. Babcock had a goaltender rotation in mind going in.

"They've both been real good," he said. "Haven't changed our minds."

Babcock said he would inform the goaltenders of his decision later Saturday. Luongo said Friday night he'd have no anxiety over waiting to learn that, and he wasn't going to present an argument.

"I'm not here to plead my case, man," Luongo said. "It's not about personal agendas."

Still, Babcock knows these decisions aren't just about business.

"They're personal because it's about a player and when you have interaction with a players, that's personal," he said. "But it's not about them, it's about our country and making the right decisions."

Babcock doesn't have the benefit of countless hours of video study and in-person scouting to make those decisions. Yzerman and his management team had that in selecting the roster, and he said nothing so far has caught that group off-guard.

"Managers, coaches, we all have these ideas, and ultimately the coaching staff decides who plays where and when and how much," Yzerman said. "That's their responsibility. But we all have our ideas. I've been through it enough that it never goes according to plan -- never does -- and coaches will make changes on the fly."

Plenty of talk goes into that, between Babcock and his staff and with Yzerman and his. Through two games against weak competition, it all boils down to one thing.

"Who really is the best," Babcock said. "Not who we thought, but who really is."

SOURCEhttp://www.ctvnews.c...7#ixzz2tS6PKf52

#3 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

syimeq296j3vkqm9g28t.jpeg

CANADA:

Benn - Bergeron - Crosby

Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry

Marleau - Toews - Carter

Sharp - Kunitz - Tavares

Nash

Keith - Webber

Vlasic - Doughty

Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo

Hamhuis

Price

Luongo

FINLAND:

Selanne - Immonen - Granlund

Jokinen O. - Ruutu - Korpikoski

Kontiola - Jokinen J. - Aaltonen

Lehtera - Pihlstrom - Komarov

Timonen - Vatanen

Maatta - Salo

Lepisto - Hietanen

Vaananen - Kukkonen

Rask

Niemi

Go-Canada-Go.jpg

#4 leafsrfine

leafsrfine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPrince Edward Island

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for doing these threads Todd. This helps everyone get through the drought of Leafs activity.  Canada has by far the most talented group of players and I think Babcock is the best choice for molding them into a team.  Go Canada Go!

#5 MaximumTaco

MaximumTaco

TMLEFT - First Line Centre

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,229 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

Regulation win is necessary to keep pace with the Swedes.

Let's get this one done and gear up for the quarterfinals.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
~ An excerpt from Alice's Adventures in Leafland

#6 howdoulikemenow

howdoulikemenow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationAlcona Beach Ont.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:47 AM

This will be a better test for the skilled forwards, no more five and dime players who all collapse to the net, take liberties with our stars and play trap hockey the whole game. I expect a big game for Crosby today, its time for him to crank it up. I am glad Price gets the start as his cool demeanor   will  spread confidence throughout the team.      GO  CANADA  GO

Money talks and B.S. walks -  Michael  Myers  U.S. House of Rep.

#7 Seer

Seer

Just A Leaf Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,451 posts
  • Location"The Big Smoke" (Toronto)

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

............................................366437.png

Canadian-Statesmenship.jpg

SPEED IS YOUR FRIEND, MAPLE LEAFS..! USE IT IN EVERY GAME..!!

#8 Seer

Seer

Just A Leaf Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,451 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:45 PM

CanadaFlagGirl01.jpgcanada_hot_girl_photo.jpg

#9 Seer

Seer

Just A Leaf Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,451 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

USA-SLO on TSN now. CAN-FIN on CBC at 12 noon ET. TSN replay tonight at 7:30 pm ET.

Austria beats Norway 3-1. Grabner scores twice, leads Olympics with 5. If Slovakia loses to Russia, could finish 12th in pool play.

For Team USA, Ryan Miller starts, Jimmy Howard in as backup. Derek Stepan plays and Max Pacioretty sits. Justin Faulk scratched.

USA lines: Parise-Backes-Callahan, JVR-Pavelski-Kessel, Brown-Kesler-Kane, Wheeler-Stastny-Stepan-Oshie.

USA D pairs: Orpik-Martin, Fowler-Shattenkirk, Suter-McDonagh, Carlson. Faulk scratched.

#10 Seer

Seer

Just A Leaf Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,451 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Canada Makes some notable changes, Price Starts vs Finland. Preview with @Real_ESPNLeBrun and @garylawless

Wake up to change: Price starts; St-Louis and Subban not dressed: Benn-Bergeron flank Crosby; Combo of Kunitz-Sharp-Nash flank Tavares.

Other two lines: Marleau-Toews-Carter, which played together at times last game; Duchene-Getzlaf-Perry intact from last game.

Outside of Subban not dressing, same D pairs: Keith-Weber; Vlasic-Doughty; JBo-Petro; Hamhuis.

#11 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:47 PM

Sure wish Kessel and JVR were Canadian...........and Pavalski was a leaf

#12 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,077 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:52 PM

Sure wish Kessel and JVR were Canadian...........and Pavalski was a leaf

Kessel with a natural hat trick this morning... and the 3rd period is yet to come.  :)

#13 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Kessel with a natural hat trick this morning... and the 3rd period is yet to come.  :)

I hope he can sink another one in the 3rd

#14 racer88

racer88

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,842 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

I doubt Phil's gonna go out looking to run up the score on Slovenia.

Why not?

#15 Seer

Seer

Just A Leaf Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,451 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

MARLIES DEFEAT FARJESTAD 4-3 IN OVERTIME, AT RICOH COLISEUM

1797962_10152060028025777_74610676_n.jpg

The Toronto Marlies defeated Färjestad BK of the Swedish Hockey League by a score of 4-3 in overtime in an exhibition game this afternoon at Ricoh Coliseum.

Greg McKegg opened the scoring for Toronto on a powerplay at 4:48 of the first period. Färjestad would respond just over two minutes later on a powerplay goal from Jack Connolly. The Marlies would fall behind 2-1 before the end of the opening frame on Nicklas Arell’s goal at 19:33. Greg McKegg’s second tally of the afternoon evened the game at two at 5:08 of the second period.

Brandon Kozun and Milan Gulas traded goals late in the middle frame to make the score 3-3. After a scoreless third period, Dylan Yeo tallied the game winning goal just 27 seconds into the extra frame.

The Marlies return to the ice tomorrow afternoon when they host the Utica Comets, AHL affiliate of the Vancouver Canucks, at 3 p.m. Tickets are still available and can be purchased by calling the team’s ticket line at 416-597-PUCK (7825).

Toronto Goal ScorersGreg McKegg (2), Brandon Kozun, Dylan Yeo

Färjestad Goal Scorers: Jack Connolly, Nicklas Arell, Milan Gulas

Game Notes

- Toronto outshot Färjestad 32-20
- Garret Sparks earned the victory while Frederik Pettersson-Wentzel took the loss
- The Marlies went 1-for-2 on the powerplay and 3-for-5 on the penalty kill

**** My Note: Great game..! and they did it without Brennan and Abbott in the game, MacIntyre as back-up.. and Dineen as coach.. They play again today and tomorrow, so were reserving some stock..

sportsnet140216_338.gif

----Toronto Marlies News

McKEGG GOALS --> http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=560651&lang=en

KOZUN GOAL ---> http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=560650&lang=en

#16 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

**** My Note: Great game..! and they did it without Brennan and Abbott in the game, MacIntyre as back-up.. and Dineen as coach.. They play again today and tomorrow, so were reserving some stock..

----Toronto Marlies News

McKEGG GOALS --> http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=560651&lang=en

KOZUN GOAL ---> http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=446&id=560650&lang=en

I caught the third and OT goal by Yeo after work.  Great effort but I still don't know why that BK goal was waved off...

#17 Seer

Seer

Just A Leaf Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,451 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

I caught the third and OT goal by Yeo after work.  Great effort but I still don't know why that BK goal was waved off...

I don't think anyone does... LOL!

#18 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

One hour to gametime, okay Canada WE GOT THIS!

GO CANADA GO!!!

#19 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

Okay Canada, let's go.  WE GOT THIS!!!

#20 ToddLeafsFan

ToddLeafsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,923 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Wow, Finns off to a quick start!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map