Toronto Maple Leafs - Message Boards
SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
MapleLeafs.com proudly sponsored by ROGERS™ Welcome to the Official Site of Leafs Nation - MapleLeafs.com

Photo

Carlyle Calls out Jake Gardiner...the gloves are off

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
182 replies to this topic

#1 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Our saviour Randy the Magnificent called out Jake Gardiner in his post season press conference.
Paraphrasing Carlyle he stated he was shocked Jake considered himself in the same mold as Erik Karlsson.
Two things pi$$ me off about this.
1. Jake Gardiner could be as good as Karlsson with proper guidance
2. What happened to what happens in the room stays in the room?
RC has surely sealed his fate.

#2 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

I think he actually gave Jake a compliment here... He talked about how Jake started out as a rover... and turned into a consistent d-man by the end...  the comment about the comparison was odd though..

#3 Ieafs89

Ieafs89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

difference between gardiner and karlsson is that karlsson knows what hes doing with the puck when he's leading those rushes. gardiner just skates around aimlessly and doesn't know when to pinch. If it weren't for his skating he'd be in the AHL. 

#4 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I think he actually gave Jake a compliment here... He talked about how Jake started out as a rover... and turned into a consistent d-man by the end...  the comment about the comparison was odd though..

I'm sorry but I didn't pick that out as a compliment especially the "I'm Shocked" statement

#5 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,188 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:58 PM

Our saviour Randy the Magnificent called out Jake Gardiner in his post season press conference.
Paraphrasing Carlyle he stated he was shocked Jake considered himself in the same mold as Erik Karlsson.
Two things pi$$ me off about this.
1. Jake Gardiner could be as good as Karlsson with proper guidance
2. What happened to what happens in the room stays in the room?
RC has surely sealed his fate.

The one I watched, he didn't name Erik Karlsson (or anyone)  ... Did I see a condensed version?

When I saw the media drilling RC for any example after he said he didnt want to say, I knew the weasels would latch onto and blow up anything he gave them.

Our media and alot of the fans are absolute weasels, and we shouldn't really be shocked by now I guess.

#6 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

difference between gardiner and karlsson is that karlsson knows what hes doing with the puck when he's leading those rushes. gardiner just skates around aimlessly and doesn't know when to pinch. If it weren't for his skating he'd be in the AHL.

Gardiner was only -3 this year and was the best defenceman the last month or so by a large margin. Karlsson was -15. Karlsson does as many palm/face inspiring moves as he does highlite reel moves. Its amazing what confidence can inspire. Jake is 6'2" 200lb. There is a coach out there that can inspire Gardiner somewhere. It would be great to see this kid flip the switch while he's in a Leaf uniform not somewhere else.

#7 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:06 PM

I'm sorry but I didn't pick that out as a compliment especially the "I'm Shocked" statement

He did compliment him when he talked about how he evolved into a better all around d-man and that is reflected in his playing time around the end of the season.  I think on the comparison, he might have been trying to knock a bit of the cockiness out of gardiner..  if the kid truly believed he was Karlsson at the beginning of the season, he may have needed to be humbled...

#8 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:07 PM

The one I watched, he didn't name Erik Karlsson (or anyone)  ... Did I see a condensed version?

When I saw the media drilling RC for any example after he said he didnt want to say, I knew the weasels would latch onto and blow up anything he gave them.

Our media and alot of the fans are absolute weasels, and we shouldn't really be shocked by now I guess.

Yes I forgot people need to spell things out for you. So listen up. I'll type slowly so you can keep up, OK! When Randy said Jake compared himself to another rover type player, he actually meant Erik Karlsson.
Comprendo?

#9 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:09 PM

He did compliment him when he talked about how he evolved into a better all around d-man and that is reflected in his playing time around the end of the season.  I think on the comparison, he might have been trying to knock a bit of the cockiness out of gardiner..  if the kid truly believed he was Karlsson at the beginning of the season, he may have needed to be humbled...

You might be right. But given the dour nature of RC today, I doubt it.

#10 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,188 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Yes I forgot people need to spell things out for you. So listen up. I'll type slowly so you can keep up, OK! When Randy said Jake compared himself to another rover type player, he actually meant Erik Karlsson.
Comprendo?

You can un bunch your panties now, I was just asking if it was in the interview or if you added in your own parts due to it not being juicy enough.

#11 Ieafs89

Ieafs89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:12 PM

Gardiner was only -3 this year and was the best defenceman the last month or so by a large margin. Karlsson was -15. Karlsson does as many palm/face inspiring moves as he does highlite reel moves. Its amazing what confidence can inspire. Jake is 6'2" 200lb. There is a coach out there that can inspire Gardiner somewhere. It would be great to see this kid flip the switch while he's in a Leaf uniform not somewhere else.

don't let gardiner's skating ability fool you. Watch what he does with the puck and his positioning.....the brain of dion phaneuf and scott niedermayer's skating put together. 

#12 Maplers

Maplers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,864 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

don't let gardiner's skating ability fool you. Watch what he does with the puck and his positioning.....the brain of dion phaneuf and scott niedermayer's skating put together. 

Can we give the kid some more time before writing him off?

#13 AntoniNerestant

AntoniNerestant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I'm listening to the press conference right now to see how it was said.

#14 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

You can un bunch your panties now, I was just asking if it was in the interview or if you added in your own parts due to it not being juicy enough.

I know exactly what you were getting at. BTW Toronto media has its issues but in reality the media here is tame. They almost never call players out. Almost never ask the really hard questions. Its only guys who screw up like Wilson, Burke, Carlyle, JFjr etc who ever become targets. And in all of the above cases it was warranted.

#15 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:18 PM

Your Defensive Frankenstein is funny. But I don't think Jakes that stoopid!

#16 calgaryrock

calgaryrock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationCalgary Alberta

And lots of people have compared Gardiners Potential to that of a Karlsson!  So the fact Randy was shocked with the comparison seemed odd to me.  Either way Randy should of kept his mouth zipped.

#17 HiDef

HiDef

Chief Visionary Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,188 posts

Thanks for the heads up, I'm listening to the press conference right now to see how it was said.

Thats the best bet... totally different feel from the way it's being portrayed by the OP.

#18 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

Don't pick up the phone after listening to RC's presser. You'll want to jump off a bridge!

#19 Ieafs89

Ieafs89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:19 PM

rielly in the next couple of years will make gardiner expendable. younger, much stronger, and knows how to balance out his rushing instincts with playing D. 

#20 Hands-of-Kessel

Hands-of-Kessel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

rielly in the next couple of years will make gardiner expendable. younger, much stronger, and knows how to balance out his rushing instincts with playing D.

The reality of the situation goes like this. The Leafs have 3 very offensively mined D-men. Gardiner, Reilly and Brennan. That is luxurious. They are all young and learning. One of the few smart moves by Nonis was in not moving a couple of them yet.
The Leafs need a coaching staff that can nurture these young guys. Not a total dough-head like RC. He is the most over-rated coach in the NHL and it will be a great day when the little pr*ck is sent packing, along with his BFF Farrish!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

torontomapleleafs.com is the official Web site of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club. The Maple Leafs and mapleleafs.com are trademarks of MLSE.  NHL, the NHL Shield, the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup and NHL Conference logos are registered trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P. Copyright © 1999-2013 MLSE and the National Hockey League. All Rights Reserved.

Terms Of Use | Contact Us | Employment Opportunities | Advertise on mapleleafs.com | Privacy Policy | AdChoices | NHL.com Terms of Use | Site Map